Anyone with Virgin Broadband?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

martin_blank
martin_blank
08:04 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm having big trouble with filtered Broadband, and Virgin use a direct cable so they'd be an alternative option, but I've heard their service is problematic.

Anyone have any experience of them?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:08 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
My neighbours are on cable broadband, and they say it's awful. I'm on BT broadband, and it's ok, they have just offered me wireless internet for nothing, just have to sign another 12 month contract. I'm now deliberating whether or not to do it.

What's filtered/direct Broadband?
spinner
spinner
Admin
08:09 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
martin_blank said:
I'm having big trouble with filtered Broadband, and Virgin use a direct cable so they'd be an alternative option, but I've heard their service is problematic.

Anyone have any experience of them?

I cant comment on the qualty/ease of service, but i have seen them crop up as one of the few contract-free providers. So you may be able to try out a lower level service for a month before comitting.

Edited at 13:12 Sun 3/06/07 (BST)
spinner
spinner
Admin
08:15 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
1_eye said:
My neighbours are on cable broadband, and they say it's awful. I'm on BT broadband, and it's ok, they have just offered me wireless internet for nothing, just have to sign another 12 month contract. I'm now deliberating whether or not to do it.

What's filtered/direct Broadband?

Direct broadband is a seperate cable providing the service, often along with cable TV etc and is what Martin is looking at.

Filtered is when you use a DSL filter on your phone line to seperate out the broadband and phone signals. This is only avaliable on up to date phone exchanges.

If you're on a BT line, BT is definitely the best option, as any problems cant get bounced between service providers.(Edit - however hold them out to all the offers you can find. They get very generous if you threaten to go elsewhere )

Edited at 13:19 Sun 3/06/07 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:51 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah i found with sky, when i left them they wanted to give me the full package half price for 6 months, i told them in the end if they didn't stop ringing me i'd take legal action, some people just don't know when to take know for an answer.

BT is good, don't get too many problems with them, the only problem is when you do you get put through to India or where ever the call centre is and you got someone who can hardly understand you talking of a cue card, which isn't great customer service in my book!

But i do like the idea of going wireless and having a BT HUB!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:58 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I have been on virgin broadband for 2months now and not had any problems at all. I was with BT and left them...... very long story. I find virgin broadband very good.
martin_blank
martin_blank
12:01 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Cheers. My phoneline is NTL (now Virgin), hence my general problems with filter systems.

That sounds promising Spenny. One good bit of feedback was all I needed to dive in headfirst. Thanks.
_psmon_
_psmon_
12:23 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I was on NTL for a long time thought it was apauling, switched to AOL and i find its alot better.But still have problems with loosing connection

( i know AOL and NTL are both Virgin media)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:09 Sun 3 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
been with NTL for over 3 years now (phone and broadband) and never had a problem with connection etc, in fact my package is £19:95 a month and free land line calls starting 01 or 02....so im even happier
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:17 Mon 4 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
What I really like about them is that their customer support is also based in the UK. With BT it's India and they generally don't have a clue what they are talking about. You shouldn't have any problems with virgin media.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:47 Fri 8 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm with Virgin for my broadband. I don't have a clue what you mean by filtered and direct stuff though. Ours used to be Telewest broadband but since the take over it's now Virgin broadband and mine has been fine, no real major problems. Sometimes the internet is very slow around my area or the internet doesn't work but that happens to some of my friends at the same time who are with Virgin so it must be Virgin. Apart from that everything has been dandy.
I still don't understand direct and filtered thing though.
cityfan84
cityfan84
05:07 Sun 10 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
no probs here, been with them for a while (ntl)
av_it_
av_it_
08:28 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
i also use virgin media broadband service no probs here. ( just dont get there phone line lol )
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:43 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
im on ticali broadband fine here good service for £14 a month.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:46 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
same pro good service.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:25 Tue 7 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
i'm on virgin and its not bad
curtisorren
curtisorren
02:14 Wed 8 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Deleted User said:
What I really like about them is that their customer support is also based in the UK. With BT it's India and they generally don't have a clue what they are talking about. You shouldn't have any problems with virgin media.

This is not entirely true. I have called a few times and i have have been put through to india and i am on Virgin media. It has been fine for me and had no connection loss.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Anyone with Virgin Broadband?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.