Question regarding Windows XP Service Packs

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

pacnt07
pacnt07
11:05 Thu 21 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Hi I recently 'ghosted' my computer and reinstalled windows XP using the software provided by dell. However when I reinstalled it, it was the service pack 1 edition whereas I had the service pack 2 before. I was told service pack 2 was on the CD i just had to 'find' it. I was wondering can I get the service pack 2 installed with out ghosting my computer again...stress! Thanks
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:51 Thu 21 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
If it is completely different software to the pack 1 then I would think that you would have to uninstall it all then install it, but if it's just a add on or upgrade software, probably not, but you might have to install again.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:15 Thu 21 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
service pack 2 was an update provided my microsoft.

here is the link to the microsoft site with the available download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

hope it helps. you will not have to re-install like the_hunter suggested. sorry hunter
pacnt07
pacnt07
22:10 Thu 21 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Ok cheers lads
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:37 Fri 22 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Thanks lads - there are plenty more people here to help so renamed.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:10 Sun 24 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
what are addons . when i clear the internet history it asks if i want to delete the add ons .are they required or can i delete it
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:11 Sun 24 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
addons are any applets or programs you may have downloaded (like the main funkypool game).

Its safe to delete them as if you need them then your browser will automatically download them again.

Simply depends on whether you want to wait for them to download again
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:05 Sun 24 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
when i install windows xp from my xp cd.i usually delete the previous one and i install it freshly whenever i feel my pc is slow.
when i do it , it asks if i want the hard disk drives as ntfs or fat32 . what are they and which is better

i found my friend has renamed his c:drive and d:drives as song and games . how do i do it .

during xp installation it asks if i waant
to create a new drive partition or not . so we can create any number of partitions while installing xp. i want to know if drive partition can be done when xp installation is done or is there any other way to do it
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:47 Sun 24 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
targett said:
when i install windows xp from my xp cd.i usually delete the previous one and i install it freshly whenever i feel my pc is slow.
when i do it , it asks if i want the hard disk drives as ntfs or fat32 . what are they and which is better

NTFS is a more modern filing system, FAT32 is limited in some respects. Especially with todays bigger drives, NTFS is the best option.

More details of the differences here : http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

targett said:
i found my friend has renamed his c:drive and d:drives as song and games . how do i do it .

Right-click the drive, select properties, and the drive name is at the top. You can edit it there and click apply.

targett said:
during xp installation it asks if i waant to create a new drive partition or not . so we can create any number of partitions while installing xp. i want to know if drive partition can be done when xp installation is done or is there any other way to do it

If you dont partition your drive before or during installation, you need partitioning software to do it.

There are free options but i wont reccomend them as i have never used them. If you are prepared to pay for it, partitionmagic is very well known and reliable.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:38 Mon 25 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
thanks spinner
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:40 Mon 25 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
is there a way of recovering the files deleted from the tecycle bin?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:51 Mon 25 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes, Go to Start>All Programmes>Accessories>SystemTools>SystemRestore.

Run a Restore point to the date/time, before you deleted the software/file you wan't to recover
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:01 Tue 26 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
the yahoo messenger opens at the startup every time.i disabled the startups. but when i use the messenger the next time it again loads on the next restart at the startup.is there a way to permenently disable it
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:32 Tue 26 Jun 07 (BST)  [Link]  
There should be an option in the messenger program to prevent it opening at startup.

However, if you can't find anything, click start/run then enter msconfig

You will see the startup tab there. Just un-tick anything you dont want starting, apply, reboot, and everything will be fine.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:15 Mon 16 Jul 07 (BST)  [Link]  
i used easy cleaner which is a registry cleaner.it had a option "delete unnecessary files".i chose the option and the unnecessary files were deleted .after i restarted the system
and on running command prompt to get onto my c compiler and when i give the name of the exe file it says c:\windows\system32\config.nt.the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and ms windows applications.
is there a way to restore my pc to my previous working state which was 2 days back.i havent created a backup for my system.also none of the games are working on the pc
spinner
spinner
Admin
13:23 Mon 16 Jul 07 (BST)  [Link]  
If you have windows XP, you should be able to use system restore (start/programs/accessories/system tools) to restore the setup to a date prior to your problem.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:32 Mon 16 Jul 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Spinner, I formatted my hard drive when i ghosted my computer. However when i transferred my songs to an external hard drive, about half of them didnt copy. Can i restore my PC to retrieve these files?
spinner
spinner
Admin
19:03 Mon 16 Jul 07 (BST)  [Link]  
If you've formatted and ghosted then i'm afraid its extremely unlikely you will be able to retrieve them.

However you can try Free Undelete http://officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ and see if it finds anything.
joy1511
joy1511
06:33 Thu 26 Jul 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Spinner should get money off you lot for the advice only joking!
spinner is ann asset to this site!
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Question regarding Windows XP Service Packs

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.