IE7,Vista and Mac problems.

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:14 Sun 26 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
My step mum recently upgraded her laptop to Vista and bought a Macbook and is having trouble getting to a certain website. When she goes to that website in work, however, it works perfectly. Anyone got a solution?
spinner
spinner
Admin
09:30 Sun 26 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Is she having problems getting the website to display, or is it simply not loading?

I assume you mean this is happening on both the laptops.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:44 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Erm. Well in our household it won't work on any of the laptops. It just says
" Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

"
On all the laptops at home. :(
spinner
spinner
Admin
15:02 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Am i right in assuming you have a wireless conection?

Have a look for the wireless routers firewall settings. Innocent sites get blocked for all sorts of reasons.

You should be able to add the site in question to the firewall exceptions/allow list.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:50 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
also check your anti-virus software for the same "allow" list.

for example, if running norton anti-virus the parental control bans sites which it deems unsuitable for children to see.
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:08 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
m_c_r - if your router only lets you allow IP addresses then you can use this site :

http://www.selfseo.com/find_ip_address_of_a_website.php

to find the IP address of the website your mum wants to access.

I'm guessing its a router issue since its affecting all the laptops with differing operating systems.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:45 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
hmm i'm unsure if that might be a bit over his head for him to be allowing i.p addresses.
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:57 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Please be respectful to other users dark_cloud

Its a very simple procedure, certainly no more complicated than typing in a url
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:12 Mon 27 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
lol i dont exactly know how to take that.

its not that simple on certain wireless systems thats all i was trying to put across

initially lets allow him to give us some feed back on the suggestions we have made and then maybe we should look into some more advanced options.

also if possible it might be useful to find out the website in question as it might be known for phishing and so would get blocked by the anti-virus he is running.

(maybe have a quiet chat to spinner and tell him through a message or pm and not post it on here incase it is a personal site)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:23 Mon 3 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Ah it's not a personal site lol. It's just www.morrissey-solo.com because she is a huge morrissey fan and can't access it for some reason XD.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:52 Mon 3 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
m_c_r if you still need assistance then we need feedback. If not then glad we could help
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:36 Mon 3 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Well I would if I could lol. Sorry but I flew back from Germany on Saturday night and hadn't had the chance to check the Funkypool forums beforehand. I will get my step mum to try it out.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:39 Mon 3 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
And I don't know about all of the other suggestions above. I don't know how to look for the wireless firewall settings. And they are running AVG on the 2 sony viao laptops. And I have been on at least 50 other sites by typing in the URL without having to type in the i.p address.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:45 Mon 3 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:

hmm i'm unsure if that might be a bit over his head for him to be allowing i.p addresses.

spinner said:
Please be respectful to other users dark_cloud

Well my point is proven

Spinner as i am unsure on the procedure of allowing specific I.P addresses i will hand over to you

Edited at 19:51 Mon 3/09/07 (BST)
spinner
spinner
Admin
17:35 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Okies!

Well, all i meant was that allowing an IP just as easy as allowing a URL, how to do it however, is a different matter! Nothing serious

First up, what sort of wireless router do you have?

The firewal i'm suspecting is the one built in, so we need to know the type before we can try letting it through.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:10 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
If the page was denied by the firewall surely it would display a "page denied" message instead of the generic "page cannot be dsplayed".

For example such programs as norton with their parental controls block certain sites, but instead of the "page cannot be displayed" message appearing, its own norton message is displayed explaining why the page was denied. Many industrial filters do the exact same.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:30 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The site works fine for me and i'm on vista.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:33 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
To stop confussion, wait until the first procedure has been attempted and feedback given before suggesting something different.
Router firewalls work a little differently to Norton and the like.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:33 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The site itself is ok, the problem lies infact with m_c_r's setup.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
06:49 Sun 23 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Aha I just found out what router it is. It's german though which might be a problem. Its called a speed port 500v
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

IE7,Vista and Mac problems.

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.