AOL free laptop offer

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

jedbarker
jedbarker
11:25 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I went along to my local Carphone Warehouse store today to enquire about this offer, which launches tomorrow. I was told to enquire again tomorrow.

I'm an existing AOL Broadband customer, so I wonder if people like me will qualify? I've read various reports as to what the score is - does anybody know anything about it?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:35 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Sounds like a money grabbing scam to me...
jedbarker
jedbarker
11:37 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
They want people to sign up for a 2 year broadband deal at £19.99 a month. I suppose that's not cheap but I've been with AOL for 3 years and I've no intention of moving.

I wonder if they'll look after their existing customers...watch this space...more to follow!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:24 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The scheme conditions are as follows.

AOL Broadband costs £19.99/month for 2 years which provides 8Mb broadband and 40Gb download limit with a free DELL laptop worth £500+ as a free gift.

Unfortunately as you already have a contract with AOL your are deemed not eligible.

Sorry
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:15 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Cancel the contract!

I pay £13.99 for 8Mb on BT. Also have wireless capabilities if I wanted with that. BT have also given me a free fusion box (their TV) with free fitting and installation with no fixed monthly payment for the bill. Also with the broadband, I now have the option of having a BT internet phone, which is alot cheaper than normal landline phones. Spinner has the same package as me I think, he sings it's praises.

I'm sure AOL will make money from you with this offer, depends how much you want a laptop!?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:53 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Well thats the point 1_eye lol. If they didnt make money what would be the point?

They will get £479.76 for the two year contract and the laptops they give you will be bought from Dell for far cheaper than that. Also for each customer they attract, they will charge extra for installation and technical help...

But what business will just give you a laptop with the intention of not making money...
av_it_
av_it_
17:56 Tue 4 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Orange broadband had a similer offer not long ago. The deal was for new customers only to promote there service and you had to make 6 succesfull monthly payments before you got the offer. so its best to read the small print
jedbarker
jedbarker
04:08 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The problem with switching provider is that I am registered at so many websites with my AOL email address - to change them all would be a real pain. Anyway, I'm off to find out today but I think it's a bit rubbish if AOL can't look after their current customers.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
06:00 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The scheme is intended to attract 'new' customers
jedbarker
jedbarker
09:34 Wed 5 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Brief update for those interested....

I told AOL a couple of months back that I was going to switch to Sky Broadband, as it was cheaper. AOL offered me the same deal that I would have got with Sky to stay with them, so I did.

At the Carphone Warehouse today I was told that because I'm now paying a lower price, that constitutes a new contract and the offer isn't available to people in their minimum contract period.

However, my brother, who is also an AOL customer, has been to Carphone Warehouse today and has got the free laptop.

I'm going to ring AOL tonight and see if I can get round it.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

AOL free laptop offer

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.