What does this mean?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:28 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
8mb Broadband etc. What does the 8mb bit mean? Is it how fast the broadband is or how many mb it can download a second or what lol?
spinner
spinner
Admin
15:31 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah you're on the right track

Rather than ramble on, theres a great little table at this link to explain things :

http://www.broadband.co.uk/guide.jsp?section=3
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
15:32 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Something like that, usually it's 8mbps, which is 8 megabits/sec, where 8 bits = 1 byte. Which internet provider is providing you with this?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:31 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Oh none, I just see it all the time on adverts XD. So I was curious as to what it actually meant.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:28 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
clooneman said:
Something like that, usually it's 8mbps, which is 8 megabits/sec, where 8 bits = 1 byte. Which internet provider is providing you with this?

Correction 8mbps stands for 8 mega "bytes" per second.

Bearing in mind a bit is 1/8th of a byte. so if clooneman was to be correct then there would be a severely slow transfer rate.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:46 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
So....*scratches head* If I was playing an online multiplayer game like World Of Warcraft or Guild Wars or Counter-Strike or something like that would there be a difference in game play if I had 8mb Broadband compared to 2mb Broadband?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:01 Mon 10 Sep 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Well yes, your ping would improve.

When playing an online game a program is used Ping or Packet Internet Groper, this program basically sends an 'Echo' command to a specified computer and then waits for a response. The quicker the response the better the transfer rate and thus making such online games play better.

In this case the internet speed is increased and so the quality would also increase.

But in my opinion your 2mbps transfer rate is sufficient.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

What does this mean?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.