Dangers of giving out an IP address...?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:36 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
my friend we were chatting and he said this is your ip and he showed and told stuff about what could happen if the wrong person had it. lol was a good lesson! thats why i agree that alot more can be done
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
19:45 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
lol yes i no you can do alot of cool things
tourny_rank
tourny_rank
20:50 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
_9balljay_ said:
lol yes i no you can do alot of cool things

A lot of cool things? Maybe cool isn't the right word, like I said.. it would take some sort of genious to make something BAD happen through knowing your IP address. It isn't something to go telling people, especially if you cannot definitely trust the person involved. I don't see how there would be a LOT of cool things though
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
21:07 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
ok whatever you say, its not like i havent done it before
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
spinner
spinner
Admin
08:39 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Just for reference - this is nothing but wannabe bragging by the now banned user.

No funkypool account has ever been hacked, and to be able to do anything "bad" by knowing someone's IP address is, for all but the very knowlegable and more importantly well connected (you would have to have a root account with your ISP, something the owner of it probably doesnt even have) to be able to do anything more than find out the most frivilous of info.

Indeed, this is the kind of info used for fun in graphics for websites like this one :

Posted Image

Edited at 13:39 Tue 23/10/07 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:52 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I love it!

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:41 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
thats not nice abusing your position like that. i was only agreeing that alot more could be done
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:57 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Whos abused their postion? Think you might have mis-read something goonies!
spinner
spinner
Admin
13:25 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Just to clarify - that image above is generated by danasoft.com - it simply displays some of the info you freely give out by visiting any website.

There is nothing sinister about any of it.

Yes, IP addresses are used when connecting to computers across a network but they are only a small part of the equation.

Think of the IP address as the "City" line in your address.

Without the street name and house number people are still gonna have a hard time finding you
sm_rat
sm_rat
15:27 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Wow!

Didnt know a simple "yes" or "no" question could cause such controversy lol.

Keep it up lol as I'm finding it real interesting...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:56 Tue 23 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
hahaha funny bet your all laughing! lol after i got off i rang my brother and he was just laughing his head off and he explained what is was

Edited at 20:57 Tue 23/10/07 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:47 Wed 24 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
No danger, just run cmd and change it. Or download software to automatically change it for you.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:49 Wed 24 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Sm rat: Sky broadband is bad, I'm a internet geek. It will time out about 7pm gmt every night, more on weekends. Will fire back up again at about 11pm. Guy I talked to at sky said its because there arent enough complaints so they don't make haste to solve the problem. I say everyone rings skybroadband regardless of provider and gives them a tongue lashing...But thats just me.
tourny_rank
tourny_rank
09:22 Wed 24 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Dresden, you can't be much of a computer geek if you think that Sky is down from 7pm till 11pm. I have been on Sky Broadband for around 8 months and I haven't ever... EVER noticed it going down between those times.

EDIT:
tourny_rank said:
Rabies

Lil kids or teens?

Edited at 20:47 Tue 16/10/07 (BST)

As you can see, I edited that post at 8:47pm.

Edited at 14:25 Wed 24/10/07 (BST)
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Dangers of giving out an IP address...?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.