Help needed.....virus issues

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:37 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
I like to play with the circle cursor but threw diffo times of the game it always goes back to the old x, the problem is my pc is struggling to load up the 0 cursor.
I did a virus search using spyware doctor and had a virus called block-checker...wich needs registry value repaired and another one called lop.com wich also needs registry value repaired...i think i got the virus downloading scripts for windows live messenger.
any1 no how i can get rid of the gastly viruses because the software just isn't up for it?????
also on messenger it's sending ppl comments like " i've just put a pic up of you on myspace"
wich seriously does my nut in.
spinner
spinner
Admin
10:49 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thats what messenger scripts are!

They can be nasty to get rid of, but lets have a go.

Number one thing, uninstall live messenger (dont worry, you can reinstall later) - this is a simple trick which often disables the viruses.

Make sure your antivirus is up to date (which antivirus do you have?, Norton is notoriously bad with these, and things like Spyware Doctor are decidedly dodgy)

If you dont have a "proper" antivirus, download AVG free ( http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/inst/avg75free_503a1171.exe ), and let it run, it may take more than one scan/clean to sort things.

Also, i highly reccomend downloading and running ccleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com ) as this can clear out any temporary files, and fix your registry.

Yes, i know there are other progras out there that claim to do this kind of thng, but personal experience shows these two work, and are really free with not catches.

Be sure to download them from the sites linked though. They may not be free from other sites like download.com.

Once you have run those, and rebooted, go to www.microsoft.com and do a window update, before downloading a fresh and clean Messenger.

Hope that helps!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:02 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
I've been using easycleaner 2.o to delete temporary files an that...but i think i mite of accidently been deleting my registry ..is there anyway 2 get it back?? I'm gonna download that avg and i've got some virus protection but only what i've downloaded wich aint much good i thought my router stopped most of it.
alex19933
alex19933
12:23 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
bullguard seems to work very well deffinitely worth the extra
spinner
spinner
Admin
12:35 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
_warning_ said:
I've been using easycleaner 2.o to delete temporary files an that...but i think i mite of accidently been deleting my registry ..is there anyway 2 get it back?? I'm gonna download that avg and i've got some virus protection but only what i've downloaded wich aint much good i thought my router stopped most of it.

Dont worry, you aven't deleted your registry or you wouldnt be on at all!

Easycleaner is OK, but not as comprehensive as CCleaner. Its up to you if you want to change.

However, yes, get AVG up and running, its the best AV software out there just now.

Make sure windows is up to date and the wondows firewall is on. Configured properly this will be the most secure firewall around, as it is updated so regularly.

Third party firewalls are dodgy, especially those like zonealarm which actually disable perfectly good parts of the windows one as they run.

Good luck!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:01 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
downloaded avg did a scan took ages nearly an hour found a trojan horse virus....recieved in a file i recieved of some 1 a file wich would be used to patch some software together.....havn't got firewall on yet...uninstalled messenger when i come back on pc it was there again :S
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:19 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Haha, that MSN alright..

If you have windows XP you already have the best firewall for home use.

Go to control panel and make sure the windows firewall is up and running, that all i use (along with AVG) and have never had any problems.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:58 Sun 11 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
pc running better now m8...u've been a gr8 help!!!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
06:55 Mon 12 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Glad I could help....
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:06 Mon 12 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Try Avast Anti-Virus.... it's free, scan and delete all your viruses!

You can select any language setup and you can have during 13 month free. Just google Avast Avast-Anti virus and once installed, you can get a free serial number to use it for one year.

that's what I have and i have no viruses
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:10 Mon 12 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
blackdave said:
that's what I have and i have no viruses

How can you be so sure?

Just because there arent noticeable affects doesnt mean your not infected.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:54 Wed 21 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
_warning_ said:
I like to play with the circle cursor but threw diffo times of the game it always goes back to the old x, the problem is my pc is struggling to load up the 0 cursor.
I did a virus search using spyware doctor and had a virus called block-checker...wich needs registry value repaired and another one called lop.com wich also needs registry value repaired...i think i got the virus downloading scripts for windows live messenger.
any1 no how i can get rid of the gastly viruses because the software just isn't up for it?????
also on messenger it's sending ppl comments like " i've just put a pic up of you on myspace"
wich seriously does my nut in.

Try downloading Spybot,Avg< and also Ad-Aware.

Edited at 05:56 Thu 22/11/07 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:59 Wed 21 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
_warning_ said:
downloaded avg did a scan took ages nearly an hour found a trojan horse virus....recieved in a file i recieved of some 1 a file wich would be used to patch some software together.....havn't got firewall on yet...uninstalled messenger when i come back on pc it was there again :S

A Firewall Try ZoneAlarm
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Help needed.....virus issues

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.