FBL Discussion and News thread

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 123
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:04 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
why 5 of each?, how bout 4 of each 8 us 9ball and uk and 1 straight.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:09 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
That's why i suggested to have 1 point per discipline.
And if we have smaller clans we can make 2 leagues, premier and championship.
If clans are limited on 10 players, and minimum is 6 players, then we can make fixtures 6 v 6.
And final result of clan game will count points won by their 6 players.
Example
Clan1 7 vs 7 Clan2 (each clan gets one point)
fix1 3-1
fix2 2-2
fix3 0-4
fix4 3-1
fix5 0-4
fix6 2-2

in that way will be rewarded clans who have most of good players, not just one or two who can make difference by winning 15-0, 14-1, 13-2.

Cheers
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:12 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
But 15-0 in a 8 game fixture is one eighth of the total points available whilst 4-0 in a six game fixture is one sixth of the total points available.

Your system actually favours the better player making a difference more than currently, plus there are likely to be more 4-0's than 15-0's.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:46 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Something else to consider: Each person playing separate discplines.

So 2 play each, 8 vs 8 fixture, first to 4/5 frames for the short games and first to 2 in straight or just a certain amount of frames like with the FCL.

This would be quicker and prevents those who don't like straight for example from forfeiting their frames.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:59 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Still does not address the fact that it is hugely favouring the better player(s). To be successful any tournament needs to be competitive, and not just with two teams at the most.

You can currently predict the outcome of pretty much every match in every league - and that's not good
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:41 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
There's no way you'll really combat the better players winning is there?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:49 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
The easiest way is short games as that introduces a small element of luck - not enough to make it a lottery but enough so everyone fancies their chances of winning.

Unfortunately unless it can be agreed to alternate a new league with the FCL we are really going to be limited in the options - ie clan sizes etc.

If they were alternated you could have completely different clans and clan sizes for each. You could even formulate the clans from a sort of draft/school playground () system where you even out the abilities of the teams. Thats just an example but the options would be endless
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:02 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
chris said:

Unfortunately unless it can be agreed to alternate a new league with the FCL we are really going to be limited in the options - ie clan sizes etc.

That's never really going to happen, 2 leagues can run perfectly fine side by side IMO. There just need to be some collusion between the two possibly to make it all run smoothly

chris said:

You could even formulate the clans from a sort of draft/school playground () system where you even out the abilities of the teams.

I quite like that idea but it might be quite hard to co-ordinate. If you look at it, there's 10 clans currently and probably about 8-10 players who would play 2 leagues in each so you're looking at 80-100 players but could be a very interesting and fun idea.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:04 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
They can run perfectly smoothly - thats never been the issue - making them fun, competitive and original, now that is the challenge.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:12 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Well making it the most competitive as possible would be drawing up a roster of players who want to play in the league and then having a group of captains who pick through the players in rounds. My problem with that though is you wind up playing with people you don't want to play with.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:19 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
As I said, no point even entertaining having two different sets of clans to play in two different leagues at the same time.

Only works with having two different 'seasons'. Like if you play football in the winter and cricket in the summer. You play two completely different games to different rules with different people each 'season'.

Whereas we are now left with just a football 'season' where the same teams play in the Premier League and FA Cup (FCL) and the Champions League and Carling Cup (the new league)

Nothing wrong - just will continue to be unoriginal and not as competitive as it might be.

Edited at 15:25 Thu 03/02/11 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:26 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Well we need to find the differing format which makes it competitive
spoonie
spoonie
17:31 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
The most competitive format i can think of is:

One player picks a type and plays 6 frames of it

The opposition player picks a type and they play 6 frames of that..

For straight however, they play something like 3 frames (2 points for a frame)

This will introduce tactics about picking a type that your opponent is weak at, or picking a type that yourself is good at.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:38 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
The thought of playing 6 games of UK8 has put me off already
spoonie
spoonie
17:39 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
but thats the point...
strong players have at least 1 weak discipline..

It makes it tactical and competitive.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:42 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
but for me at least not fun - sorry.
spoonie
spoonie
17:43 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
whats more fun?

a challenge to beat the opposition in his own and your disciplines.

or getting beat 15 - 0, 14 - 1, 13 - 2.

You may have the benefit of being a good player, but not everyone enjoys getting beat by this sum of a margin.

I thought the whole point was to make it a competitive and fairer format?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:50 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
spoonie said:
or getting beat 15 - 0, 14 - 1, 13 - 2.

You may have the benefit of being a good player, but not everyone enjoys getting beat by this sum of a margin.

If you read up you will see I said exactly the same thing plus theres no fun winning by that score either.

spoonie said:
I thought the whole point was to make it a competitive and fairer format?

Yes but I added the word 'fun' too - for me anyway.
spoonie
spoonie
17:51 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
But from my point of view.. it is fun..

Trying to beat your opponent in their favorite discipline instead of the drill of playing 5 of each
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:52 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
What would you like to see then chris, that would make it fun for you

and don't say alternating leagues, we've discussed that far too much
Pages: 123
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

FBL Discussion and News thread

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.