FBL Discussion and News thread

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 134
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:59 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Shorter format games, smaller clans, different clan make-ups - but they all would work best on different 'seasons' so my views are clearly going to be irrelevant on this one.

Hopefully there will be input from a few more clan regulars.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:04 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yea would like to see some other people posting from different perspectives
_k1rk_
_k1rk_
18:29 Thu 3 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Clan numbers etc i never think should be messed with, im more one for if you in a clan you in it for all leagues, you also want all your players to get games. I say just keep clans the same and change leagues, thats where problems will start imo.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:12 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Clan numbers are okay but would like too see ONE clan league Maybe FCL mixed with FPL if this would ever happen i would happly help out =)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:06 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
spoonie said:
The most competitive format i can think of is:

One player picks a type and plays 6 frames of it

The opposition player picks a type and they play 6 frames of that..

For straight however, they play something like 3 frames (2 points for a frame)

This will introduce tactics about picking a type that your opponent is weak at, or picking a type that yourself is good at.

Well spoonie m8, it is very interesting proposal. In that way no player could complain. If you are better then you should win even in opposit player discipline.
To make it shorter games could be played first to 3 frames, and if someone pick game of straight the just one game no need to play more. For straight solution is to have this system: win with 1 to 10 pts of difference counts as 3-2, 11 to 25pts 3-1, 26 and over 3-0.
In that way both players could choose 9 ball or any other discipline that suites them, and you will play disliked discilines only few times, not every round.
Example I select 9 ball and win 3-0, and opponent choose to play straight and win 35-30 which would be (1-3).
Then i won overall 4-3.

I agree with you, might be the way to make league more interesting.

Cheers!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:59 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
spoonie's idea for the league
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:34 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Sticking with the same clans/numbers then, how about splitting the matches so that for each fixture you put up a 9 ball team (of 7 or 8), an 8 ball team, UK8 team (and Straight team?) etc?

That way you have variety in that you arent playing a large number of racks against the same person, its easier to involve all clan players in every fixture, keep the matches as short as possible to give lesser players a chance and in terms of final fixture bonus points they get allocated for the teams that win each of the disciplines.

One big league - home & away fixtures. One fixture released per week but a one week rollover for each fixture so that it has two weeks to be completed in.

Downside is its lots of individual games to keep on top of each week but because the games are short (ideally no more than 4 racks each and 3 preferably) they are easier to make time for - even before or during tournaments.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:52 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
i think it would be harder to find players individually for categoreys like that...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:58 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Why? You are just selecting them from your clan of 15.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:00 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
oh 15 is it i thought max was 14 oh sweet i can get 3 more players
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:40 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
14 is the max
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:00 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
ok cool thanks kev
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:22 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
chris said:
Sticking with the same clans/numbers then, how about splitting the matches so that for each fixture you put up a 9 ball team (of 7 or 8), an 8 ball team, UK8 team (and Straight team?) etc?

One big league - home & away fixtures. One fixture released per week but a one week rollover for each fixture so that it has two weeks to be completed in.

I wouldnt go for large clans. It is better to have 10 players but players who will get their fixtures done, then to have 15 of which 5 u can rarely involve in games.

We can make fixture like this:
format 8 v 8
2 games of 9 ball (first to 3 wins)
2 games of 8 ball (first to 3 wins)
2 games of 8 uk (first to 3 wins)
2 games of straight (one game)

Every team names their 2 players for each discipline.

Example:
in Cobras, ucyforit is good for all disciplines but u can use him only in one of 4 disciplines, and he can bring max 1 point to our clan. in that way rest of the team have make same effort to win their games.

It is short and efficient, and it rewards best clans.
In that way managerial capability of captains will rise up. You will have to know which players you should set for which disciplines

Cheers!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:36 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
podgoricanin said:
I wouldnt go for large clans. It is better to have 10 players but players who will get their fixtures done, then to have 15 of which 5 u can rarely involve in games.

Two leagues running side by side - one with clans of 14 and the other with clans of 10 - would be a bad move.

More than 8 games per fixture (however you decide to split them) gives opportunities for everyone to play.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:41 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
chris said:
podgoricanin said:

Two leagues running side by side - one with clans of 14 and the other with clans of 10 - would be a bad move.

More than 8 games per fixture (however you decide to split them) gives opportunities for everyone to play.

true, i just made an example.
But if we have more games per fixture, we are at risk of lot of defaults, which i dislike lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:04 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Not necessarily. A possible example might be

9 ball

1 v 1
2 v 2
3 v 3
4 v 4
5 v 5

8 ball

6 v 6
7 v 7
8 v 8
9 v 9
10 v 10

UK8

11 v 11
12 v 12
13 v 13
14 v 14
1 v 6

Straight

2 v 7
3 v 8
4 v 9
5 v 10
6 v 11

20 individual games to be covered by your 14 players. All could play at least one. Subs could still be made subject to a player playing a maximum of two matches per fixture and not more than one match per game type. Should be no more defaults than now.

3 or 4 racks per match and 1 or 2 racks in Straight - 50 or 70 racks per fixture based on 5 of each type. That could be increased to 7 or 8 of each type if preferred (7 of each game type gives you 28 individual games - an average of two for each player with a maximum of 3 games per player per fixture). Makes it more of a team game than an individual game as you are playing more of the opposition team than currently without increasing the number of racks you have to play.

If I really felt having between just 6 and 8 games per fixture was the way to go I would have continued the CPL under a different name and format. It is the easiest option to run for sure but something completely different would be good if its possible.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:22 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
chris said:
If I really felt having between just 6 and 8 games per fixture was the way to go I would have continued the CPL under a different name and format. It is the easiest option to run for sure but something completely different would be good if its possible.

Sure we need something different, but i dont know how much clans can have 15 active players.
I would love to see league format u are proposin, that is big competition, but i doubt it can be organized.

Well let see how much clans would participate this format.

Clans should select 5 player for each discipline 9ball, 8ball, 8uK and straight.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:41 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
You're gonna have loads more defaults with so many more games. Cobras, for example, at the moment have 8 available players due to some moving house, not having internet or not being around and if you look at all other clans barely any have 14 active members that play week in week out

The general consensus here is for players to play individual disciplines which is different. I think we should opt for a relatively low amount of frames but not too many fixtures.

20 is a bit extreme IMO, I think maybe 3 people playing each game type may work with the option of being able to use a player twice in a fixture or you could got with spoonie's idea where you have home and away fixtures and the home player picks the game type.

What would you prefer to see?
spoonie
spoonie
17:37 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
chris said:

We can make fixture like this:
format 8 v 8
2 games of 9 ball (first to 3 wins)
2 games of 8 ball (first to 3 wins)
2 games of 8 uk (first to 3 wins)
2 games of straight (one game)

Every team names their 2 players for each discipline.

I like my idea where each player picks a format to play 6 frames of (so its out of 12)

or Chris's idea above... I like either of them.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:37 Fri 4 Feb 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
This is probably a bad idea! and i dont play clan games anymore,But how about cutting the shot time down to 15 or 10 sec's?would like to have seen this especially in straight.
As i said probably a bad idea as not everyone likes speed games.
Pages: 134
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

FBL Discussion and News thread

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.