League Discussion Thread

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funkypool Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 19697
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
23:20 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
The cup aint based on football though haha

Personnaly i dont mind it its 5v5 or 8v8, but 12v12 may take it a little too far IMO
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:20 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
ab_rfc said:
ipotalot said:
dgeneratio said:
ipotalot said:
What's the format for the cup james?
Never understood why it's 5 players per team think it should be 8 personally, gives more people a chance to play in it.
Don't know if that's been discussed before?
Also maybe some glamour models doing a live draw on youtube would add some spice .....worth a try

pmsl, i dunno if its been talked about before, yeah its 5 v 5 at the moment but i think if its 8 v 8 its just like a league game.

They don't play 5 a side in any footie cups though
It's always different because it's one game winner takes all

The FCL Cup or better known to some of us as the Mickey Mouse Cup, sorry but I've never liked or rated the cup since it started, mainly due to it being 5 aside, 15 players in a clan and only 5 can play in the cup, this means most players never get the chance to play in it. 8 or even 15 aside would be better.

Yeah I could understand people wanting to keep it the same if it had been really succesful but there never appears to be any real interest in it and you're spot on the 5 a side format is why.

15 v 15 would be awesome in the final
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
23:24 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I'll speak to James when he comes back over from the dark side as i like the idea's here for the cup, making the semi's have like more games in it or something

15 v 15 in final? Lee would be awesome but don't think that would work out haha
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:30 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
badger2 said:
dgeneratio said:
10 fixtures for each division so 5 fixture sets

Schedule:

(6/11/11 - 20/11/11)

Fixture Set 1 (fixtures 1+2)
Cup Round 1

(20/11/11 - 04/12/11)

Fixture Set 2 (fixtures 3+4)

(04/12/11 - 18/12/11)

Fixture Set 3 (fixtures 5)
Cup Quarter Final

(18/12/11 - 01/01/12)

Fixture Set 4 (fixture 6+7)

(01/01/12 - 15/01/12)

Fixture Set 5 (fixture 8)
Cup Semi Final

(15/01/12 - 05/02/12)

Fixture Set 6 (fixture 9+10)
Cup Final

^^^^

That fine?

Please excuse my ignorance in these matters but as far as I can see Div 2 has 5 teams in it so they only have 8 games to play not 10. Each team plays the other 4 teams twice.

Getting ready to be told how stupid I am!!

wouldn't say it so don't assume.

i only said it because i looked at a site put a team of 5 and team of 6 and both said 10 fixtures but teams would get BYES.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:32 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
8 v 8 all the way through and 12 v 12 in the final....that's my vote
couldn't see 15 v 15 all getting played but with as many swaps and subs as you like now 12 would be easily achievable and what a way to end the season!
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:37 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
bluenose1872 said:
I'll speak to James when he comes back over from the dark side as i like the idea's here for the cup, making the semi's have like more games in it or something

how about 5 v 5 but 8 v 8 in the final?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:40 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
A little potted history on the Cup and why it ideally needs an odd number of matches

It used to be 6 vs 6, I think, but with an even number of matches you had an even number of points available (ie 6 x 15 = 90 pts) and you therefore used to risk ending up with drawn matches (45 - 45) hence the switch to 5 vs 5 which guaranteed that there could never be a draw if all the matches were completed.

As an additional benefit a 5-a-side match gave more clans an improved chance of winning as it didn't rely completely on any given clan's strength in depth. Cups should be about promoting underdogs, giving everyone the feeling they have a chance and producing shock results - not just about favouring the teams with the most good players - the leagues already do that.

Nothing to do with me now, but just answering someone's point earlier about how we, as league runners, came to that decision originally.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:46 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
As an additional benefit a 5-a-side match gave more clans an improved chance of winning as it didn't rely completely on any given clan's strength in depth. Cups should be about promoting underdogs, giving everyone the feeling they have a chance and producing shock results - not just about favouring the teams with the most good players - the leagues already do that.

^^

agreed on snooker we have 1 frame on each type, different from league, cup has 5 v 5 and league 8 v 8, cup is designed for unpredictability.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:48 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:
bluenose1872 said:

how about 5 v 5 but 8 v 8 in the final?

That only lets 6 more players play in the cup though, I can't see that would build any more interest in it only a third of a clan getting to play in it makes it just a nothing competition in my opinion.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
23:49 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
ill stick at 5 v 5 then

dont really want to go any higher than 8.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:50 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
10 fixtures for each division so 5 fixture sets

Schedule:

(6/11/11 - 20/11/11)

Fixture Set 1 (fixtures 1+2)
Cup Round 1

(20/11/11 - 04/12/11)

Fixture Set 2 (fixtures 3+4)

(04/12/11 - 18/12/11)

Fixture Set 3 (fixtures 5)
Cup Quarter Final

(18/12/11 - 01/01/12)

Fixture Set 4 (fixture 6+7) Div 1 not Div 2 but then there is a massive 2 week gap for Div 2.

(01/01/12 - 15/01/12)

Fixture Set 5 (fixture 8)
Cup Semi Final

(15/01/12 - 05/02/12)

Fixture Set 6 (fixture 9+10)
Cup Final

^^^^
How about in the middle of the season play a Div 2 game on an alternate week to a Div 1 games, e.g 1 week break for Div 2, then play (over the 2 weeks), the next week the Div 1 game will be finish, start a new set for div 1, then the following week the Div 2 games will be done, and then a wait a week. Then conclude the games as normal for the rest of the season?
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
23:50 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I was thinking if it could work then maybe try

5 v 5 for first few rounds
8 v 8 semi final
12 v 12 final

final means they have a few subs just incase.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:52 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
5vs5 anything can happen. F.A Cup, a shock result or 2, changes the complexion of the match.
punkpoet
punkpoet
23:54 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I like the 5 vs 5 I just hink season should of started sooner but I get the argument against
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:56 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
chris said:
A little potted history on the Cup and why it ideally needs an odd number of matches

It used to be 6 vs 6, I think, but with an even number of matches you had an even number of points available (ie 6 x 15 = 90 pts) and you therefore used to risk ending up with drawn matches (45 - 45) hence the switch to 5 vs 5 which guaranteed that there could never be a draw if all the matches were completed.

Nothing to do with me now, but just answering someone's point earlier about how we, as league runners, came to that decision originally.

I haven't seen a drawn game yet in the league so the chance are really remote of getting one in the cup and if there was one it would give you a chance to have some sort of shoot out decider like a cup should be bit of excitement.

I can't see the other point to be honest the best clans have the best players and by making it 5 v 5 you're getting the best clans very best players which is even harder.

Clan sizes are bigger now and I really think the cup needs some reinvention as alan said it's not working as it is and is seen as a non event.
cool_dude
cool_dude
23:57 Mon 24 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
You could argue that 5 vs 5 would be more predictable as teams will play their 5 best players.

Wouldn't go over 8 vs 8 as i think 12 a side would make it difficult to complete
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:01 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
saying 5 v 5 gives the underdogs a chance isnt really true as some teams will put the 5 top players they have into the cup match. the only way it could be done as a proper cup match and have giant killings etc would be to draw the fixtures at random and have the 5 players picked at random too.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
00:11 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
maybe change the format then? 1 frame of each type (dont like bringing arcade into FCL but for unpredictability id risk it) THEN its unpredictable.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
00:15 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
i still think cup should be different from the league, dont forget you have FCL games to play as well as the cup, so most people may have 3 fixtures to play.
cool_dude
cool_dude
00:15 Tue 25 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
say you make the sides 8 vs 8 maybe something like captains can only choose 3 players and the rest are random and you can only use x amount of subs.
Pages: 19697
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

League Discussion Thread

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funkypool Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.