Red Dead Redemption freezing issues

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:46 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Hi,

I bought a copy of Red Dead Redemption for PS3 last week (new, not second-hand) and it freezes at least once during each playing session, forcing me to power down my PS3. It mostly freezes during missions, but sometimes in Free-roam mode too.

I know it is not a problem with my Playstation as I can play other games for long periods of time with no problems - I was playing WSC Real 09 (snooker) for about 3 hours last night.

I have also deleted 3 of the 4 save points for RDR through PS3 Control Panel, but the problems still persist.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? and if so, how do you fix it?

It's doing my head in having to restart missions all the time due to freezing

Your help is greatly appreciated
rubber_duck
rubber_duck
19:59 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Just send it back?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:03 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
rubber_duck said:
Just send it back?

Umm, I said "how do you fix it?" not "What should I do with it?"

I'd like to try and fix it first, if possible, before taking it back.

From reading other forums, lots of other people have had the same problems.

Edited at 17:10 Tue 30/08/11 (BST)
rubber_duck
rubber_duck
20:31 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
You pay for it so if its not working then send it back

If you have some ripped clothes you just bought you dont sow it up so why should you try and fix a game
long_pot
long_pot
20:43 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
to try and be usefull and get somewhere instead of being lazy lol so next time he knows what to do if it happens
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:43 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
rubber_duck said:
You pay for it so if its not working then send it back

If you have some ripped clothes you just bought you dont sow it up so why should you try and fix a game

Umm, because I've had problems before with games that have frozen and found out how to fix them through reading various forums. Is it such a crime to try and find out if there is a solution, or even a patch available for download?
rubber_duck
rubber_duck
20:49 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
No but why should you fix something that you dont need to bother with?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:57 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Look, if you've not got anything helpful to say then please don't say anything.

I am considering taking it back tomorrow. I just wanted to see if there was any known fixes, such as software updates.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
20:59 Tue 30 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
not sure sorry smurf, xbox version seems to run fine, maybe PS3 update?

was going to say is it scratched but if its new then it won't be.
ant
ant
01:22 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
smurf try lending ur disk to a friend to see if they have the same problem with your disk
rubber_duck
rubber_duck
03:28 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
cmurphy said:
Look, if you've not got anything helpful to say then please don't say anything.

I am considering taking it back tomorrow. I just wanted to see if there was any known fixes, such as software updates.

Get a grip chris, it's called a joke.
joker86
joker86
03:39 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm very certain it isn't the PS3 itself. Like you said, other games works fine.

If there was an update/patch available for that game, the system usually notifies you of any updates automatically. I'm guessing this didn't happen?

Trying it on another system is a good idea (If you have any close friends with a PS3). Taking the game back for a replacement is admittedly a lot of hassle but, these two options should determine if it is indeed your system or the game.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:50 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
joker86 said:
I'm very certain it isn't the PS3 itself. Like you said, other games works fine.

If there was an update/patch available for that game, the system usually notifies you of any updates automatically. I'm guessing this didn't happen?

Trying it on another system is a good idea (If you have any close friends with a PS3). Taking the game back for a replacement is admittedly a lot of hassle but, these two options should determine if it is indeed your system or the game.

Yeah, I had to install an update before I could play the game. I inserted the disc and it told me I needed to install an update, I clicked "OK" and it started installing. (I've not connected PS3 to internet yet).

I'll speak to my mate tomorrow, see if I can try it on his PS3.

The only thing that's putting me off taking it back is the fact that I bought the last copy from the shop. Might not be too happy giving me cash to go elsewhere.
joker86
joker86
05:12 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Please report back after you've tried it on your mates PS3.

If you have the receipt, they can't turn you away. The most they will do is order a copy in for you.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:54 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
also had a similar problem a while ago
mine turned out to be the laser , it got worse till stopped reading discs.
think was bout £80 for a new laser and no such problems to date now
apparently laser only last for so lomg then burns itself out.

if not the laser u can try *restore ps3* in setings
but save everything u want first.
_k1rk_
_k1rk_
18:27 Wed 31 Aug 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Iv played red dead redemption a lot and it hasnt frozen once i don't think. It must be your system or the game itself maybe has like a tiny scratch. I wouldnt know about how to fix it but the fact it works fine for me may help you to decide what to do next.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Red Dead Redemption freezing issues

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.