Can Youtube Cause Viruses?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

dgeneratio
dgeneratio
01:37 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
a question for the computer geeks out there (basically those who know computers inside out).

Can Youtube cause lag? because my last computer dad took it to repair shop and 'apparently' they said that youtube put a virus on it but only anti virus we had was MCAFEE at the time.

Also browser im using is Firefox Portable (with addons Web Of Trust, Youtube Auto replay)

All i do on computer really is...

- Listen to Songs on Youtube (mostly pokemon or final fantasy, yes call me a girl if you like but im into pokemon )

- Watch WWE Wrestling Matches on Youtube

- Play Funkysnooker/Pool

- Update clan league sites (Yola + Google Docs)

I have no anti virus protection at the moment but i tried to install AVG and Avast with no success and my computer won't install some updates from last year.

If it turns out Youtube can cause viruses by simply viewing the video then ill not go on it anymore and listen to my MP3 instead.

will post on BOTH sites to try and get a reasonable answer from pool and snooker.

Just need to know to put my mind at rest.

thanks!

Edited at 22:43 Thu 27/10/11 (BST)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:10 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
No Youtube video's cannot cause viruses.
Whoever told you that must have been joking.

cheers, i didn't think it did because ive listened to youtube from day one, its good for calming you down after your annoyed at something but needed to be 100% sure.

what anti virus would you suggest? we found a free version for talk talk customers, don't know if its any good.

also whats the best ISP you can use because atm we have 1 PC and 2 XBOX running from talk talk (paying like £5-10 a month i think thats with phone included (but have to pay for mobiles, abroad and quizzes) and just about managing but sometimes the xbox's do lag and wondered if youtube had something to do with it? i tested it once i watched youtube while watching mum in a game of call of duty and didn't lag, again need to be 100% sure on this.
bunrzybhoy
bunrzybhoy
02:19 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
avast! Antivirus. Yeah, youtube usually causes lag when on xbox etc. Half of the time most virus's could maybe be fake, as last time it said I had one I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and said it was two 'Fake Trojans'
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:28 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
All ISP's are rubbish in all honesty, so just go with whatever is cheapest and works out best for you. I'm currently on I think around 15MB speed with BT, which is perfectly fine for 3 laptops and a PS3.

For Anti-Viruses, I'd say Avast is the best. I've tried pretty much all AV's and Avast has impressed me far more than any others.

cheers both, ill try avast tomorrow
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:43 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
dgeneratio said:

All i do on computer really is...

- Listen to Songs on Youtube (mostly pokemon or final fantasy, yes call me a girl if you like but im into pokemon )

Pokemon is brilliant.
bunrzybhoy
bunrzybhoy
02:49 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Want to know my ISP? LOL.

3.63mb(BT) and this is used by.. Xbox 360 and 3 laptops. Sometimes it can be 4!!

(Only reason it's that slow because of my area. Can't get a high speed up here and it's the same around the whole city when I've asked my friends etc.)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:50 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
2 things we have in common then

was gonna put some songs i like on my profile (pokemon wise) but was afraid what other people thought, a 22 year old liking pokemon etc but i don't think ill ever grow out of it, was my childhood same as final fantasy and MGS)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:50 Fri 28 Oct 11 (BST)  [Link]  
jack_pot said:
bunrzybhoy said:
avast! Antivirus. Yeah, youtube usually causes lag when on xbox etc. Half of the time most virus's could maybe be fake, as last time it said I had one I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and said it was two 'Fake Trojans'

Youtube can cause lag. Getting a virus from Youtube isn't impossible I guess, but it is extremely unlikely. You can get a virus from any site, which is partly why I now use Linux when all I'm doing is browsing the internet. Youtube videos use Flash and there have been exploits for Flash in the past, but I'm pretty sure Youtube would keep on top of things like this security wise. So yeh, basically I wouldn't worry, however if you really are paranoid, there are a couple of things you could do.

1. Use a sandboxed web browser like Sandboxie (google it). Anything downloaded intentionally or unintentionally whilst using a sandbox, will not affect your hard drive. You can then scan the download in your Sandbox before allowing it onto your computer.

2. Either use a whole new computer, or a Linux operating system for browsing the internet. Linux is free and easy to install. It's also very light so you can dual boot on most modern computers. (I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Linux with only 250GB HDD).
I'd recommend Ubuntu if you're going for Linux, although it might be a little advanced for you if you're not sure what you're doing.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Can Youtube Cause Viruses?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.