Cannot get connected to internet

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

dextr
dextr
07:09 Fri 16 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
I have been trying to help my dad sort his computer as he is still using a thomson speedtouch 330 modem thingy and advised him to upgrade as using that you have to physically connect each time to internet to update anti virus etc and it becomes out of date for long periods at times. He has upgraded his broadband with talk talk and have sent him a new router which i expected to just plug n play but we cannot get any internet connection whatsoever. He is using XP but have also tried installing 7 all to same effect. Its like the LAN on the motherboard is not working. Luckily we had a ghost image and reverted back to XP on several occasions but i am at a loss to why it is not working..Is it a driver issue???

The motherboard is a " ASROCK ALIVE NF6P-VSTA"

any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

(Its a custom build PC AMD athlon Dual core)
dextr
dextr
07:13 Fri 16 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
We have ran the Windows7 compatibility advisor and all looks fine except for some of his old games.

It suggests using 32bit Windows 7 as he has 2GB ram.

Done all that to no avail.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:18 Fri 16 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
2 days ago I was using my laptop at my school and it stopped picking up the internet as well. I ended up going into my settings and resetting them all to the factory settings.

Are you back to using XP or are you using 7?

Using 32-bit or 64-bit shouldn't affect whether he has access to the internet or not.

You've checked to make sure all cables are working properly, since he just got broadband?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:51 Sat 17 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
With Talk Talk when purchasing a new router from them you normally have to get your paperwork they sent you and insert your username and password by entering 192.168.1.1 on an internet browser web bar, that's only if you have limited internet access but as you said you can not connect whatsoever so I'd advise you to go through troubleshoot problems with talktalk. If you connect through wireless it may be a driver issue, if that is the case you can roll back the driver and see if that makes any changes?

As Katie said you could reset back to factory settings as there is a chance the router had been refurbished. Also talktalk can give you a ''go-live'' date are you sure he has hit that date?

That's all my help I can give you for now, unless you get a little further with more information. Although if you connect through wireless then I'd plug in the ethernet cable and see if that can give you a direct connection, you may recieve a symbol saying ''Limited or No internet connection'' if you see that then you should use the method I said above.

Wishing your dad luck,

Thanks,

Lewis.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Cannot get connected to internet

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.