Windows 8 - Your experiences

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:59 Thu 15 Nov 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
HI all .

Anyone recently upgraded or used windows 8? what your experiences do you regret upgrading.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
22:32 Mon 19 Nov 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
I find Windows 8 a bit of a shambles.
I know that it is aimed at the handheld market rather than the desktop/laptop market, but it's still pretty bad in my opinion.

I don't like how when you click the desktop button on the metro UI there isn't a start menu anymore. This was what made me like windows. Everything is there in that one convenient little button, that little bit of magic on the OS. But they got rid of it!

But there are also some good points I guess, such as memory usage is lower (apparently). The boot up time is much faster (apparently). These facts are probably true, but they are not noticeable to daily usage and will only really be seen if you put your system under tests.

I think if you're wanting your computer for daily tasks such as emailing, surfing the web, listening to music and watching videos then stay with windows 7.
If you're more of technological enthusiast and like delving deeper into the system then stay with windows 7. In my opinion don't upgrade to Windows 8. If you want to try it out there isn't anything stopping you trying it out in a Virtual Machine with the Release Preview.

Or maybe it's just me who doesn't like change?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:34 Tue 20 Nov 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
I have it, but I basically just use it like Windows 7. I never use the metro interface and I installed a start button and have it automatically load up desktop view when I start.

I don't regret updating to Windows 8 but it gave me no real benefits.
dextr
dextr
04:36 Wed 21 Nov 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
I agree with flapjack after seeing many reviews and tests.

Eventually we will prob all end up loving it lol.

Remember the fuss from people not wanting to upgrade from XP ? ( to 7 not Vista as it was BAD lol )
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:20 Wed 21 Nov 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
I agree the metro UI takes some getting use to i had windows 8 as a free upgrade for purchasing a new laptop. My 1st thoughts where WTF? After about a month i got use to it.Why Microsoft got rid of the start button is beyond me. I think the metro UI would of worked better with the start button giving the user more choice.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:27 Mon 31 Dec 12 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ive got a new windows 8 laptop, but it seems it will not support java? How can i play pool and snooker on it? I have to use my old laptop whenever i want to play! HELP!
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
02:18 Tue 1 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
You can still use Java?
Go to the Desktop, not the Metro UI thing. Open up IE and then install Java as normal from here: http://java.com/inc/BrowserRedirect1.jsp?locale=en

It should run from both the metro UI and also the desktop then.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Windows 8 - Your experiences

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.