Does my laptop have N-card

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:18 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Iv been told i need an N-card which i can buy and it will help with my internet speed.??

im baffled by all this but how or where do i look on my laptop if i have a n-card or not.

thanks ..im useless on these machines .
blueberry
blueberry
18:20 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
The mbps speed of your net effects your speed as well as many factors.

Whats your internet provider and is it wireless, adsl, cable or do you use a wee usb dongle for 3g,02,vodaphone etc ?

Then I maybe can advise, an 11n usb adaptor can be used on a laptop to connect to the net from anywhere within signal range........
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
18:57 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
I doubt that your laptop has a wireless N card already built in, it's not very common. But I guess there is no harm in trying!

(presuming you're on windows 7 or Vista) Click start at the bottom left, then in the 'Search for programs and files' just above the start button, type in 'Device Manager'
This should bring up the window shown below:
Posted Image

Then look for where it says 'Network Adapters' as shown above, and then click on the '>' arrow to show what devices there are.
If like mine, you will see something along the lines of 'N-150 Adapter'. If you see this it means that you have a N card installed. If not, then you're going to have to buy one

I have this one for mine, it's connected via usb instead of the card and is basically plug and play. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036R9XRU?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwetalecouk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0036R9XRU

But where it says 150MB/s speed, this isn't actually Megabyte it is MegaBIT.
When your Internet providers are telling you that you're getting 50MB/s this actually means MegaBIT (notice the upper case 'b'). I won't go into it much as it can be pretty confusing

Drop me a PM if you get stuck

Edited at 17:57 Thu 31/01/13 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:17 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thanks flapjack

Im in ireland,My internet provider is UPC.IE iv recently upgraded to 150mb but most iv got is 85mb an so on.

My laptop is only a lenovo g550. so i dont have a N-CARD.

Could you tell me what kind of card i need or is it even worth getting one?

im wireless, but have a cable and its the cable that gives me 85 speed. technician says because i dont have n-card im losing speed.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
20:24 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm presuming you're talking about 150MB, which is about 20megabyte +/- 1.5mb. If I were you I would get a USB adapter.

But I know how much USB sticks can get in the way when you have a laptop, but if they don't I recommend getting this one as it is nice and small and it goes up to your speeds:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-Wireless-802-11b-150Mbps/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359656376&sr=8-1

But if you do really want a card then go with this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWA-645-Wireless-300Mbps-notebook/dp/B000FTNA3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359656485&sr=8-2

But overall I think you should go for the little USB adapter thing. It's tiny and fast. Here is is compared to a 20 cents.
Posted Image
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:32 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
flapjack

1.Thank you so much for all this information and your time.

2.It has helped me alot mate really!.

3. 1 more thing please,as im not really brain efficent to understand lol..Can the above USB connect to my I.S.P ? i presume so im just useless sorry pal.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
20:55 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
It's not a problem, any time!

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask. I just presumed you are using wifi because you had a laptop. Are you using wifi? You must be if you wanted a N-Card as they are used for wireless.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:04 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yes im using wireless mate as i like to roam the house with laptop in hand lol.

the cable is there if i ever want to plug in but no real need atm.

my modem sits in sitting room corner.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
22:35 Thu 31 Jan 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeah, get the little USB thing then.
The way that USB connects to the internet is through your router (modem if you want to put it that way, I won't get into technicalities) then through your phone line or cable (depending on what you have). That then goes to your ISP.
All that little USB thing does is connect to your router in your house. It will have certain range that it will be able to reach and then it will just loose connection.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:10 Fri 1 Feb 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thanks flapjack

Im in ireland,My internet provider is UPC.IE iv recently upgraded to 150mb but most iv got is 85mb an so on.

im wireless, but have a cable and its the cable that gives me 85 speed. technician says because i dont have n-card im losing speed.

same laptop as me..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:31 Sun 3 Feb 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thanks flapjack

same laptop as me..

swap
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Does my laptop have N-card

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.