Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
nick
nick
Admin
17:13 Sun 22 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Hi,

The game was updated in a few ways today, the main change is the signed Java version is enabled by default. The certified code proves it originates from me and has not been tampered with by a third party and is encouraged by Java. Technical information can be found on the Java site: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/java-code-signing-1915323.html The game still runs with limited security privileges (sand boxed).

If there are any problems you can still use the unsigned game by selecting it on the help page at:
http://www.funkypool.com/help#java_security
Additionally please reply on the thread.

I've also taken the opportunity to update the loading screen to a simple modern look.

In other news, my personal situation has changed in that I've taken a full time programming contract in a new field. Unfortunately more and more of my time was required for external projects so it made sense for me to take a full time contract. This means I will only be performing maintenance releases of the websites.

However, I am still working on the Android app as time allows. A premium version is coming along well with the pass the phone games ready. I will release this soon to gauge interest in the Android market. The game library used (LibGDX) is in the process of enabling iPhone support, so with much thanks to the library authors the iPhone game should be possible without taking too much of my time, although you still must be patient as it's still pre-beta. The Pool and Snooker Android apps have had over 200,000 installations, which is pretty decent show of interest.

Nick
the_only_ego
the_only_ego
20:13 Sun 22 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
very nice interest but it doesn't state how many are already playing or who have already deleted it, maybe give an incentive to those who have downloaded the app to play on the computer aswell, maybe another design a pool cue competition and then if u have the app and play on comp u can use a different cue to stand out.

Anything just to get their incentive to play on computer and not on apps.
nick
nick
Admin
20:28 Sun 22 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
very nice interest but it doesn't state how many are already playing or who have already deleted it, maybe give an incentive to those who have downloaded the app to play on the computer aswell, maybe another design a pool cue competition and then if u have the app and play on comp u can use a different cue to stand out.

I'd certainly like to allow those on the browser to play those on the app.

I do have stats on daily players and removed apps as well, it's all much more than I expected given that it's practically a demo version of the game.
blueberry
blueberry
23:21 Sun 22 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Good luck with the new job Nick and thanks for all your playing about with 2d balls and 6 holes here, to create an addictive game thats lasted so long

Been taking me ages today to log into game, no idea or concern who's end that was due to..

Colin

Edited at 20:24 Sun 22/09/13 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:10 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Nick saying you are taking a full time contract deal, does that mean funkypool/snooker is at risk of being shut down in the next year or less?

Or will you have time, for what im sure is one of you greatest accomplishments?
the_only_ego
the_only_ego
15:24 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  

I do have stats on daily players and removed apps as well, it's all much more than I expected given that it's practically a demo version of the game.

is it not worth getting a friend or even a few people who are good with java coding an option to help you out and run this site while you are away with new work, as you've seen before people have had problems logging in for days due to the fact you've been to busy to come on (this isn't a moan merely a valid point) if this was to happen again for a longer period of time it would detract people from the game even more so.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:00 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  

is it not worth getting a friend or even a few people who are good with java coding an option to help you out and run this site while you are away with new work, as you've seen before people have had problems logging in for days due to the fact you've been to busy to come on (this isn't a moan merely a valid point) if this was to happen again for a longer period of time it would detract people from the game even more so.
Good point
blueberry
blueberry
17:34 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I can only play atm if using the unsigned version..

Java 1.7.0_25

Probably some silly security setting ?

I'll sort when can be bothered, no real need though as unsigned version loads fine !
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:36 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  

Java 1.7.0_25

I'll sort when can be bothered, no real need though as unsigned version loads fine !
Unsigned meaning its not trusted im guessing.
blueberry
blueberry
17:42 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
No it just means that since Nick has enabled the signed java version as default that I have to manually turn to unsigned to play... otherwise game wont open, like when java security settings are too high..

Can't see me destroying the world or anything snipes, I'll sort later, easy software issue I'd sure.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:54 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
No it just means that since Nick has enabled the signed java version as default that I have to manually turn to unsigned to play... otherwise game wont open, like when java security settings are too high..

Can't see me destroying the world or anything snipes, I'll sort later, easy software issue I'd sure.
Can only hope mate
nick
nick
Admin
22:53 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Nick saying you are taking a full time contract deal, does that mean funkypool/snooker is at risk of being shut down in the next year or less?

Or will you have time, for what im sure is one of you greatest accomplishments?

No chance! The site itself still pays its own running costs and I can't see that changing, just it won't pay for much of my time - I've had to devote more and more of my time on other projects.

is it not worth getting a friend or even a few people who are good with java coding an option to help you out and run this site while you are away with new work, as you've seen before people have had problems logging in for days due to the fact you've been to busy to come on

Since the change yesterday?

Java 1.7.0_25

What browser do you have, and can you describe what happens?
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
23:43 Mon 23 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't see what this "change" does for the site and the growing of the site. There has been loads of ideas in the past few months and i think most people expected to see some changes in the game and maybe to some other things such as tournaments and things like that.

Granted your time is limited now which is understandable and no offence to other members of staff but the activeness of the staff is also slipping down a large hill, example ~ their has been an admin offline for a year already and some months on end including moderators. Example of a moderator would have to be that Paul someone, got made a moderator and has been offline since.

I think changes are needed and some more extra staff as well especially with the way the forums have been lately.
the_only_ego
the_only_ego
00:35 Wed 25 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
is it not worth getting a friend or even a few people who are good with java coding an option to help you out and run this site while you are away with new work, as you've seen before people have had problems logging in for days due to the fact you've been to busy to come on

Since the change yesterday?

not since the update i just mean in general, jay also makes a valid point - the lack of moderators and admin needs to be addressed if possible before you do focus your attention elsewhere, of course you'll still look over the site as and when but it could eventually come to a sticky end if problems occur without anyone being able to correct, or even have moderators on to stop harassment and rule breaking
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
00:50 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Its down to all the admins who become moderators and who gets demoted. I know fastboysam is in charge of the snooker applications and i am not sure on pool but i would wager a guess on clooneman or spinner.

I think those need to be addressed more, nick i think only does the site changes and not picking the moderators. Admins may be a different story though.

I agree though those off for 3 months or more needs to be removed or sent a reminder to log in to moderate to make room for newer, more eager and more active people.
jimfaebod
jimfaebod
01:59 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I agree though those off for 3 months or more needs to be removed or sent a reminder to log in to moderate to make room for newer, more eager and more active people.

Why would a reminder be required for members of staff? Moderators are a voluntary position of which they have applied and been successfull with.

I agree that long term inactivity should not be accepted. However there may be a genuine reason for this.

Defining long term inactivity would have to be agreed, as what we see as long term others may not.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:35 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Those off more than 3 months should still remain a mod/admin, but still there should be like 5+ new brought it!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:56 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Not even that. You just need to introduce in-game moderators and/or a automatic bot that reads everything you say and takes appropriate action where necessary. Not hard at all to script a little bot to do this.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:38 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
this is an excellent update, the best one; came out on my birthday too :) (22 september)
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
23:01 Thu 26 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
this is an excellent update, the best one; came out on my birthday too :) (22 september)

If you think changing the loading screen is the best update there's been on here then nick isn't going to find it hard to please you in future
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Game loading changes and more - 22nd September Update

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.