Dario Franchitti (Houston Circuit)

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:25 Fri 11 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Did anyone else see the horrific crash 3 days back on the Final Lap, that guys lucky to still be Alive. Okay suffering a fractured spine and ankle are not the greatest of injuries but after the extent of the crash, he's been very lucky.

Quote from bbc.co.uk:

The Scot, 40, broke two vertebrae in his spine, two ribs and an ankle.
His car flipped into the air following a final-lap collision with Takuma Sato, with at least 13 spectators injured by debris that flew over safety fencing.
Franchitti said he was "overwhelmed by the outpouring of support".

He is one of the best Indycar drivers ever and I'm a huge motor sport fanatic, hence reason for posting this. Also 13 spectators injured due to debris, just proves NOWHERE's safe.

Wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully soon he will be back behind the wheel of his IndyCar.

I won't post the clip of the crash itself, but it's available to view on line.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:06 Thu 17 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
This was the first time I watched an IndyCar race live after realising BT Sport and ESPN share the coverage. Great racing. Saw the crash live. Terrible incident.

Not really the year for motor racing. As far as I'm aware, there have been three recognised motor racing fatalities in 2013 so far: Allan Simonsen (24 Hours of Le Mans, saw that one live on EuroSport), Andrea Antonelli (Superbikes) and Sean Edwards, who was killed in a Porsche. RIP all of them.

Unfortunately safety standards vary in motor sports. which is a shame. Can't believe 13 spectators were hurt!

Motor racing is dangerous.
fry06
fry06
18:09 Thu 17 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
It is a bad crash but the cars are designed to break up as it did.

The safety fencing is pretty terrible, but if you look at the WRC for example the spectators are on the track at times which is much worse.There was also a crash in NASCAR i think where the car split in 2 and a chunk cut through the barrier.

I used to always go to motor racing at Croft circuit and for years the safety fence was an old wooden fence which bent if you lent on it.

There is always the risk that you may crash and get hurt or ultimately killed when racing which the drivers accept all to entertain us.

Iv seen a few bad collisions, and crashes. A few needing the air ambulance and a few being fatal.

Hope everyone recovers speedily.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:55 Thu 17 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I echo that fry06, wish a speedily recovery to all those who have been unfortunately injured, thoughts and prayers go out to the families of lost loved ones.

Safety should be paramount in ANY sport but also there's a fine line between changing things and reducing the risk factor which in turn could dampen the sport. I think IF you go to watch a dangerous sport just remember EVERYONE is made vulnerable, drivers, spectators alike.

Same really with everything in life, each day brings it's own risks,
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:49 Thu 17 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
The safety fencing is pretty terrible, but if you look at the WRC for example the spectators are on the track at times which is much worse.

Yeah, rallying is probably the most dangerous spectator sport in the world!

Agree with you and krazyash 100%. Risk is something to consider at all times.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:19 Fri 18 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Oh, and also RIP Maria de Villota.

Motor racing 2013. Unlucky, maybe?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:51 Sat 19 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
And another one. Jason Leffler from NASCAR (technical failure caused his death). This is probably the biggest motor racing killer year in a while.

Will not be mentioning any other fatalities.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:05 Mon 21 Oct 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Shawn Edwards too only 26 porsche, krazy all these happening,
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:48 Fri 15 Nov 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
It seems Franchitti's injury is too much for him. He's forced into retirement.

End of the run for IndyCar's flying Scot. I've never seen a crash live that forced someone into retirement before!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:11 Fri 15 Nov 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
It seems Franchitti's injury is too much for him. He's forced into retirement.

End of the run for IndyCar's flying Scot. I've never seen a crash live that forced someone into retirement before!

Yeah his spine's taken the brunt of the crash, he's lucky not to be severely paralysed. He achieved so much in an illustrious career so retiring is very unfortunate but the safest option.

Such an inspiration to a lot of people, his legacy will live on.
cke1982
cke1982
21:31 Fri 15 Nov 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
i love speedway glad ive never saw someone killed unfortunately it has happened rip richo
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:48 Sat 16 Nov 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
i love speedway glad ive never saw someone killed unfortunately it has happened rip richo

Lee Richardson by any chance?
cke1982
cke1982
01:49 Sat 16 Nov 13 (GMT)  [Link]  
yeh a shame but they know what can happen when they signup a bit like boxing but shame when someone dies and a shock
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Dario Franchitti (Houston Circuit)

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.