FBL - General Discussion

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 15556
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
13:43 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
There isn't an SL discussion thread, and since there was the option to combine FBL and SL this is on topic here .

I think it doesn't really work to have defensive play rewards, whilst trying to promote attacking play. It might in the end just neutralise the attacking intent (in 9 ball, 7 balling are attacking), and make people abandon a runout to avoid being 3 fouled.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:15 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Lol oops I moved it to SL News I agree Zante, I happen to find 7 balling a skill, agree with faust so is the 3 consecutive fouls in 9us only but only a few can actually achieve it.

Gbs (rare skill) unless player practices and practices finding

Runouts (skill and luck mainly determined from state of break)

7 Ballings (skill esp in 8us), not by luck just happen clear one set of ball type

3 consecutive fouls (9us only) as with the less amount of balls on table easier to fluke a hit, is it more luck than judgement? I would say so unless a really skillful player plays the shots. Some players just think sod it and pot cue ball. Will reward the monority so not fair on others just Yet.

My thoughts but I think ALL have a degree of skill over luck so maybe could be given bonus points. Id like the emphasis put more on the team than individual with regards to GBs and Runouts.

Edited at 14:10 Wed 19/11/14 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:41 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Just on the above points and not with a view to saying yes or no to all being worthy of a bonus point...

7 Ballings can be a long way from skill depending on the quality of the opponent.

For 3 foulings, in my experience, either the first was gained through a fluke snooker or a fluke foul played by the losing player, rather than from a player deliberately setting out to win a game from three fouls. Again it is something often dependent on the opponent.

7 Ballings and 3 fouls are also against the SL's original aim of promoting quick and attacking games to make it different from the other leagues as I posted yesterday. Plus they were trialled before the start of SL5 (I think? or maybe it was SL4?) and not progressed based on the feedback overall from those in the trial.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:06 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Fair enough, could another trial be put in place?

I think 7 balling someone or forcing them into fouling three times can be efficient ways to bring a frame to its quick conclusion therefore could be interpreted as attacking play. (Gaining an advantage over opponent ASAP)

I agree the first or even 2nd snooker could be achieved via a fluke snooker but the 3rd maybe not so.

So whereas you say it's against the design for the SL I beg to differ. It can be used for both attack minded or defensive.
beenjammin
beenjammin
18:17 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I have to agree that 3-fouls are done with defensive play, not with attacking play.
Most of my own 7ballings though, were achieved through attacking play, normally off my opponents break,
still correct in saying that a 7balling depends on the opponent
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:18 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
My runouts are all because of defensive play - 100% fact
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:21 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I have to agree that 3-fouls are done with defensive play, not with attacking play.
Most of my own 7ballings though, were achieved through attacking play, normally off my opponents break,
still correct in saying that a 7balling depends on the opponent

Can be both is my point, conch212 achieved 2 back to back last night to get a frame won quicker.
beenjammin
beenjammin
18:23 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
You seem to think of 'attacking' to mean a quick game.
I think most mean it as aggressive play/no safties/going for it.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
18:27 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
They can, but a lot of the time they can come about from average play against a poor opponent, which is too ambiguous to reward.

It's still defensive play, and isn't going to be more efficient than true attacking play because true attacking play doesn't require success to speed the game up. (3 fouls requires six consecutive shots to go the correct way, which will be slower shots than someone going for a clearance in six shots). I you think about it, a player presented with a combo after putting there opponent on two fouls with try for the third to get the bonus, making the game last longer rather than just potting the combo)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:31 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I know what you mean, 9us is where the 3 consecutive fouls rule should only be in place. Most decent players can clear the table in one visit in 9us. 8us and 8uk sometimes take more than that visit so playing to win as aggressively as possible is attacking. How you achieve a 7 balling doesnt matter, attacking or defensive winning the frame with opponent being left with 7 balls should be merited with a bonus point IMO
beenjammin
beenjammin
18:31 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I agree zante,
My vote is for keeping the bonuses for runouts (so SL still has something to make it stand out), and that's it. Drop the GB's, too much luck involved, and they've already won the frame.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:34 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I agree zante,
My vote is for keeping the bonuses for runouts (so SL still has something to make it stand out), and that's it. Drop the GB's, too much luck involved, and they've already won the frame.

They could be removed from 8 and 8UK but in 9 Ball a GB is a Run Out and may be no luckier than any other Run Out in 9 Ball.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
18:38 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I would be happy to drop GB's, but they are technically a runout. Either way I'm fine with personally.

What I would like a reappearance of is the SL equivalent of the individual awards (MVP, Bonus basher, Killer monarch). Obviously the killer award could be transferred to the killer competition. But that's more of an extra bit of work for Chris unless he enlisted a helper.
beenjammin
beenjammin
18:51 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
A good point about them being runouts, I'm not bothered much about it, they don't happen often anyway. I don't really like bonuses for events, but I like having 3 leagues, and SL needs something different. and they do make it more interesting/unpredictable, like the small fixture size.

Those things would be fun ^^

Edited at 16:58 Wed 19/11/14 (GMT)
beenjammin
beenjammin
18:59 Wed 19 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
wrong thread
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:01 Fri 21 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I think the FBL format is to remain unchanged this season.

Therefore this is the first League opened up for clan entries for FBL 12. The other Leagues will follow in due course.

This will be posted on all live clan threads.

If your clan wishes to take part please post here...
erigert
erigert
17:14 Fri 21 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Uprising IN
fatmikee
fatmikee
17:18 Fri 21 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Pool Sharks In
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:48 Fri 21 Nov 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
XVth Man - IN