Tournament discussion thread

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 167
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:31 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Agreed with Onua about bringing back the "old ranking system" but taking straight and killer would be a massive mistake.... also correct me if im wrong but damee played straight and killer so cant really say "older members" left because of that
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:23 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Players have left simply as they have got bored, moved on with their lives, apart from the few changes as mentioned before their hasn't been any.

Nothing to entice the old crop of players back, nothing to play for after they'd reached the top. Maybe their could be a special tournament only for say the top overall 32 ranked players, might bring some of them back.

I think straight and killer shouldn't be removed but scrap the ranking points with them, making them both solely for Fun. Scrapping all micros not a good idea especially when players don't have enough time to play a full tournament so they wont bother entering as pressed for time

Make this supposed pool site actually 'funky', there's nothing funky about it. Create a chat room possibly for non clan members so they can feel equally as comfortable on this site as clan members.

Other games with better interaction, graphics, gameplay (even though this is still the best online pool site) have been developed online. Maybe this site needs go 3d now, add some animations to going in-off, running out, golden breaks etc.

Might sound cheesey but to a new player might bring a smile to their face. (kinda like ten pin bowling ish).
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:31 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ash your comment about making a chat room for non clan members is stupid as said before why would you want to split the members up? the chat room is fine how it is... i dont think ive ever seen clan talk in the chat room
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:46 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Typical sign of someone who doesn't even know what the site is about. Ash the 'funky' does not refer to the sites animations or table design etc.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:50 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I did reply:: but you know what cba.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:55 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

I'm just saying, you act like you know this site and it's members, but you've only been on here for 2 years.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:06 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

I'm just saying, you act like you know this site and it's members, but you've only been on here for 2 years.

I know only 2 years, seems a lot longer tbh. Some on here have been on here a lot longer, maybe that's where the attitudes come from.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:19 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I blame the new people
_marc_
_marc_
18:40 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Everyone does have good points to be honest, I don't think getting rid of straight and killer would help anything though, like someone said, I think that would probably make it worse.

Someone also said that going back to the 3 main tournaments every hour (8US, 8UK, and 9 ball) would kill off the new members.....that may or may not be true, the biggest addiction about this site, that some of the new players haven't ever experienced, was trying to win that first tournament. Back when you had at least 30 players joining every tournament and at least one top player in all of them, it actually felt like you achieved something when winning a tournament, it took months, maybe a year, to win my first tournament, but you had the motivation to keep coming back to the site with the thought of "I'll get good enough to beat these top players one day".

Unranked tournaments would probably be a good idea too, mainly because that's the whole reason no one will ever get near the top ranks again. 1 bad run off the balls or 1 tiny mistake and you lose up to 6 points in a match? And the opposite too...new players may not be achieving a high rank because they keep joining these tournaments and getting matched with top players in the 1st round.

Most people don't even play ranked matches unless they are on form, everyone used to join the tournaments just to be guaranteed more games and not have to stress about losing, or gaining, rank.

Apologies for the novel.
onua0767
onua0767
20:11 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeah apologies about removing killer and straight would be better to keep them but def get rid of arcade games though.

typed all this at 5 a.m you know the feeling Lol.
crazzymadman
crazzymadman
Admin
20:19 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Everyone does have good points to be honest, I don't think getting rid of straight and killer would help anything though, like someone said, I think that would probably make it worse.

Someone also said that going back to the 3 main tournaments every hour (8US, 8UK, and 9 ball) would kill off the new members.....that may or may not be true, the biggest addiction about this site, that some of the new players haven't ever experienced, was trying to win that first tournament. Back when you had at least 30 players joining every tournament and at least one top player in all of them, it actually felt like you achieved something when winning a tournament, it took months, maybe a year, to win my first tournament, but you had the motivation to keep coming back to the site with the thought of "I'll get good enough to beat these top players one day".

Unranked tournaments would probably be a good idea too, mainly because that's the whole reason no one will ever get near the top ranks again. 1 bad run off the balls or 1 tiny mistake and you lose up to 6 points in a match? And the opposite too...new players may not be achieving a high rank because they keep joining these tournaments and getting matched with top players in the 1st round.

Most people don't even play ranked matches unless they are on form, everyone used to join the tournaments just to be guaranteed more games and not have to stress about losing, or gaining, rank.

Apologies for the novel.

The bold section is spot on! I think it took me a year to my win first against some fantastic players! Just look at my profile this is an example I was in the top 25 for the most tournaments won with something like 140, and it took me years and felt a great achievement reaching the 100. On the new system players have done that in a few months! Yes you can tell I haven't won many since :) haha

I personally believe a lot of people have moved on because of family, jobs work etc! All the changes in the last few years have been made to attract new players and given funkypool a fresh new feel! Let's see what happens with the changes and I'm sure Admin will always do what's best for the site and it's members
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:53 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm actually pretty pleased that everyone has been able to contribute something towards an overall opinion. That overall opinion being that this site has slid downhill and that the general consensus would be to revert to previous formats. It's also good to see older players such as marc and onua giving their input as i feel these are the people that have experienced this site at it's peak and excelled while it was at it's peak.

I fully agree that tournaments are much less competitive now in comparison to previous, but as it is, with less and less players playing ranked games every day, ranked tournaments are the only way to get up the rankings. Even a mediocre player can run hot in a tournament and gain 20-30 rank even in a small field of players. This on it's own has it's merits and i think should be considered. Granted the prestige of a tournament win has declined, but the pull of tournaments in comparison to ranked games is obviously still there.
ab_rfc
ab_rfc
22:08 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

Make this supposed pool site actually 'funky', there's nothing funky about it. Create a chat room possibly for non clan members so they can feel equally as comfortable on this site as clan members.

Equally as comfortable ?, I get the impression you think clan members are something special on here lol, we already have a perfectly good chatroom where non clan members are free to chat and if you clan members want to join us now and then please feel free to do so lol

Back to the tournies, I agree with Marc, the good old days when all tournies were friendly and all you got for winning was another notch on your stats, winning was a buzz, an achievement and everyone knew who you were, it was a long time ago but I remember winning my first one, it took a while and I got close a few times, but with a bit of practice with some top players I finally got it, I'm sure I shouted YES, got loads of pm's saying well done, the feeling I had when I won 99% of my tournies I doubt members get now, most of you will know I don't play tournies now, theres so many and winning is no great achievement, I just know winning now won't give me that same feeling of achievement.
I won't say too much about the rank system because I've never rated players on their rank, its only points, to me rank is just a bit of fun, try to get as many points as possible to achieve pro or virt, years ago winning tournies meant more and its what got you known on here.
I've gibbered on enough now lol

Out of interest how many of you pm all the tournie winners now to say well done ?, and be honest lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:23 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
krazyash_07 said:

Equally as comfortable ?, I get the impression you think clan members are something special on here lol, we already have a perfectly good chatroom where non clan members are free to chat and if you clan members want to join us now and then please feel free to do so lol

Not exactly no I don't think clan members are 'something special' on here, I think they are a lot more vocal than non members. Those who are not affiliated with a clan have either been before or use a new alias. There are some who have never been enticed in to joining a team and that is their divine right. Each to their own, I see some players saying clans have destroyed this site, not a chance. Clans have bought it's own sense of purpose to the site, give something to actually strive towards as a collective than just an individual.

As for joining the chat room, I do every now and again, but most of the time revert to going to the other rooms just for some peace and quiet.

Thnx for inv.

Oh and yes I do congratulate the Tournament winners, most the time if they are a player from Phoenix Storm, but I do congratulate others, ie. turtle1560, dvz, braveheart, lethal_lures when they won their respective monthly tournaments. Also if a high run is achieved in straight. ie Sam
ab_rfc
ab_rfc
22:30 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Good to hear, excellent
horse10000
horse10000
23:43 Thu 6 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
As much as clans are participated by a number of the members they are probably more than anything what has killed the site.

Before clans there was far less tournaments and no need to play clan games x amount of times per week.

This meant that the tournaments which were only on every few hours were the highlight for the members, thus why members logged in at tournament times and you would regularly have 50 to 60 players in them and sometimes more at peak uk times.

Tournaments with less than 30 were a rarity and now a tournament with 30 in it would be a large turnout.

The site has tried to recreate this by putting in these special tournies every month. I am sure turtle, dvz etc have had a sense of satisfaction and achievement winning the tournies that they have since it has been introduced.

For members who were not here in the old days, the feeling that they have experienced will be the same experience that any old timers used to get from winning tournaments.

Like some others have said above that feeling of winning was an achievement which is now lacking in most tournaments and you had to keep trying and trying to be lucky enough to win a tourney.

No disrespect to some members who have now won 100's of tournies but what satisfaction is their in winning a tournament when only 2 players enter or 4 or 6 or 8 etc.

I posted years ago that there should have been a minimum of 16 entrants in a tournament for it to get an award on your profile. Yes not ideal but at least you would need to win a few games as opposed to one.

By all means let the tournaments play with less than 16 just don't award it is an achievement on your profile.

Too late for this now i know but there are players who have won 100's of tournaments who i would predict would have struggled to win any in the old days.

We have also now got tournapoints which have not added anything and have probably turned some players off as they are no representation in skill / ability or being the best for the day / week / month they are awards that are simply won by the player who can spend the longest time on the site which again i can not see what the achievement in that is.

Edited at 21:47 Thu 06/03/14 (GMT)
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
00:44 Fri 7 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Good to read all the older players talking about the good old days, though a depressing fact is that the site will probably never end up like that again.

When tournaments meant something, one win was an achievement - now 100 wins means less. When you would look at who was in the tournament, eagerly awaiting who you would play. When even getting to the quarter finals was an achievement because you'd got through 4 rounds to get to there. When you would ask who was entering the tournament coming up, or even worse you had to wait to get into the chat room because it was full. When you could check someone's rank and know roughly how good they would be.

When people would work hard and play well to get a high rank. Virtuoso, Professional, Adept, Intermediate, Novice actually meant something to people and there was prestige in attaining those higher ranks. There is now, but a lot of the time it's just the top players who can actually be bothered to play ranked games. Plenty of players who are just as good as them languish in the mid 700's because of the current system.

I'm sure 9/10 players who have played in both systems would make the way the site used to be in a heartbeat. This system almost forces players into clans, because that is the one place where prestige remains which is why it has grown and the amount of leagues available has grown and stabilised. It isn't because of clans why the site isn't what it used to be because the two were in harmony before.

Edited at 22:48 Thu 06/03/14 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:24 Fri 7 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Most of this thread is just going towards proving the old adage that people look back on the past with rose tinted spectacles - remembering what was good and ignoring what wasn't.

A little time spent searching the old forum threads will reveal so many complaints about the old ranking system and so many questioning the ability of many of those that were high ranked and how they had achieved it.

I may be wrong but I actually cannot remember any such questioning of anyone who has been near the top of any of the ranking tables since the changes were made. That's because those ranking positions/scores have been fully deserved under a system that every player has to play to.

Had this system been in from the start then it would have been fully accepted for what it does and players would not have been so fixated by the terms 'virtuoso', 'professional' etc for which the bandings are still set at a level based on the previous system and no longer relevant to what exists now. Players would also be used to the volatile nature of the ranking tables based on tournament play, more accepting that losing large numbers of points can happen easily when you don't win, and not be so protective towards a 'rank' score which in itself is irrelevant.

Regarding numbers in tournaments. In 2006/7 when I started, and played the most, 50 players in a tournament represented about 20-25% of those online. Now that there is probably an average 80-100 players online most of the time we are still seeing that same percentage with 15-20 entrants in a tournament. To me that is indicating that tournaments are viewed much the same now as before.
the__priest
the__priest
01:43 Fri 7 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
There are good points here

But the good old days which I still don't think they were
Won't return

So what's to do
Lots of suggestion and all have merit, just because some don't like them doesn't mean there rubbish

No one here has got it right or wrong it's a very good debate
For people to rubbish others opinions because they've only been on the site for 2 years is plain silly it has probably more merit than most

The question should be asked of all new players
1, how did you find out about the site
2, what was your first experience of the site
3, what kept you coming back
4, how easy was it to find your way round the site
5, have you posted on the forums, was it good or bad for you

Answer them ?s and we will find why players stay and leave

So many say tournaments have killed it, full and micros, some say attitudes some say clans, arcade games

It's a full combination of all

There is a choice for everyone, why should arcade be killed if you don't like them, some players do

It's all called choice

Who is anyone here to say get rid of others enjoyment

Baff has been applauded for binning micros
To suit a minority of players who didn't play in them

What about the upset it caused others that did

You have taken away a choice, why ? Because it didn't
Suit you

That's the problem overall here, the panic change instead of a thought for others that may like things the way they are
the__priest
the__priest
01:54 Fri 7 Mar 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
My own opinion
On what has impacted most on the site is rudeness and a lack of respect for everyone

Clans there are simply to many games
And to many leagues

The change that baff made was panic
There has been no substantial entry improvement into main tournaments
Most still have 8 or 9 players in off peak hours
No massive improvement in ranked games by choice
Some play now because they are forced as the choice has been restricted

Hardly fair

So why not cancel main tournaments with less than 9 and make them micros
And bring back say 2 or 3micros per hour

And stop alienating a group of players who enjoy them over a group that never plays them

The good old days weren't that fabulous either if I'm honest

One of my first accounts was craigftm so I've been here a while too

Again this is my opinion some may agree some may not
But you can't turn around and go backwards it's life it evolves
the site offers great choice for all enjoy it
After all it's free

Edited at 00:01 Fri 07/03/14 (GMT)
Pages: 167
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Tournament discussion thread

Back to Top of this Page