World Cup 2014

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:48 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Your problem Ash is that you are going off the media a lot, you said before you only seen some of them on MOTD, dunno who Stones is despite him playing 20+ times for Everton this season.

A lot of what you think you know isn't even true, Flanagan getting booked everytime you see him on MOTD despite MOTD only being able to show 2 bookings of his all season?

You are probably sub consciously comparing the team to the media's darlings which is Spain and Germany. You know what take them for what and who they are and what they can do and don't write them off before they get a chance.

I've heard of John Stones but never seen him play - don't watch MOTD spiritually any more - Hansen and Lawrenson know-it-alls, IF they are that good why not managers.

I've seen and heard of all the others 1 player didn't know, did he get drafter in the team to cover Phil Jagielka or Sylvain Distin?

I dont really follow the media at all apart from Transfer Rumours that's it.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:31 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Of course England have exciting players;

Was it against Hull that Lallana dribbled around half of the Hull team before slotting one away.

You can say 'Yes, buts it's only Hull', but it is no mean feat being in the Premier League.

I saw an article from Garth Crooks the other week about how he thought that Ross Barkley was left footed, because of the wonder goal that he scored vs Norwich, but it has been later noted that he is probably Santi Cazorlaesque due to being naturally both footed it seems.

Sterling, had a great season, great flash of pace, an eye for a pass, cracking shooting boots on him and plenty of tricks up his sleeves.

So to say that there are no English players worth watching, those 3 are just for starters.

Don't get me wrong, I am under no illusion as to the severity of the task ahead, just getting out of the group stages will feel like a great achievement!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:05 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Krazyash hasn't the foggiest about football it seems! Sterling, Barkley, Lallana, Shaw, Sturridge, The Ox, Wilshere (when he's fit) are all quality youngsters to have and are all very exciting players to watch. Also, those players you've listed you'd prefer to watch, are all of different nationalities so is a pretty usless comparison in my opinion.

Wilshere is one of the best passers England have. Don't even get me started on Barkley, he's an immense player; power, pace, dribbling ability, passing and as chapster has said, naturally both footed. Sterling's pace will terrify any defence and he can score goals too. Sturridge has been terrific this season in scoring goals and creating them. Lallana is a great all round midfielder. Can play anywhere along the midfield and is a superb player. Oxlade Chamberlain is a real grafter, he'll chase players all day long.

I've seen everyone write England off; saying they won't get out of the group stages and we'll be hammered by Uruguay and Italy, etc. I wouldn't be so sure. The only thing Uruguay really has, is quality going forward. Cavani, Suarez and Forlan. Other than that, Englands midfield and defence are far superior. Italy are a strange team, never know which one will turn up.

Just my 2 pence worth
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:33 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Germany by far have the strongest team heading into world cup... but wouldnt rule england out reaching semis imo.... very good squad taken and if woy hodgson can use them right we could be very strong indeed... and all this talk we have inexperienced players is stupid.... they play in the hardest league out there aka the premier league most of them if not all play week in week out for their clubs and alot play for their clubs in champions league/europa league and that's no experience... get a grip LMAO

Edited at 09:39 Wed 14/05/14 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:09 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I didn't say we haven't got quality players or a good squad, just compared to others we look weak in comparison. As for me not knowing much about football, whatever, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Germanys squad looks brilliant have to agree and so does the Netherlands, some very fine players. I usually go with Holland only for then to disappoint, this time being in Brasil, have to go with the host nation.

Would like England to do well, just cant see it. Unfortunately!

Edited at 12:12 Wed 14/05/14 (BST)
cke1982
cke1982
15:18 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
cant see england getting past the group stages out of squad hes took whos been infrom this season other then a few players most have had good start to season and looked like to many games have caught up with them this season

hodgson picked players on form lmao half of them cant get in there club teams and havent played well when on pitch
cke1982
cke1982
15:19 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
argentina for me messi to win the world cup use to the climate the climate will catch up to some teams
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
15:25 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
krazyash_07 said:

Sterling - Duarte Bernard
Gerrard - Hernanes
Lallana - Fabregas
Rooney - Falcao
Henderson - Thiago Alcantara
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Eden Hazard
Milner (at times) - G. Wijnaldum
Shaw - Joel Veltman
Baines - Alba or Coentrao
Barkley - Tony Vilhena or Lucas Biglia

Easily Sterling, Bernard has done nothing in 8 European appearances this season, played in 18 Ukrainian league matches (is only good enough to average just under 45 minutes a game), scored 2 assisted 7. Sterling has 33 appearances in the prem (a much harder league) with 9 goals and 7 assists. No contest, Brazilian talent gets massively overhyped

Hernanes is good but doesn't match Gerrard and he is a different type of midfielder. The only comparable player is Pirlo and I'd give a draw for that one. Leaders who run the show with their passing ability.

Lallana - Fabregas is an unfair comparison, Fabregas is well established. It's more like Koke who I'd give the edge to, but Lallana is right up there too.

Rooney - Falcao, well another easy one. Falcao is a better finisher, Rooney has had a better season. Both carrying injury, Rooney likely to go and Falcao is likely to miss out or be rushed back too soon. Rooney wins.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
15:29 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
henderson - Thiago is a tough one, slightly different players again. Henderson has had a brilliant season at Liverpool and we really missed him at the end. Thiago has less than half the starts of Henderson and I'd expect him to get less game time in the Spanish midfield so Henderson will be seen more, he's got a great work rate if he can step up.

Ox-Hazard is another unfair comparison, Hazard is well established and Ox is breaking into the starting XI still

All the rest are definitely the England players, the only exception is Baines and Alba which I'd say is level
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:31 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
argentina for me messi to win the world cup use to the climate the climate will catch up to some teams

Not a bad shout, but can you honestly see Argentina winning on Brasils patch....locals would go mad. Always a team no one expects to perform, that would be Belgium for me.

Yours matey?

I think all England's players selected are in top notch form but means nothing really, hopefully theyve been acclimatising to the soaring temperatures they will face, that will suffocate the team and another factor why England will be 'coming home' after group stages.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:40 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I didn't ask you to compare them and being a Liverpool fan you're opinions when considering any is and will be biased.
My point were the other nations have better more exciting players than we do, they are the ones im looking forward to seeing none of our 'wannabe super footballers', who simply when crunch time happens don't have the technical, tactical, artistry, creativeness as other nations. We will pass the ball from side to side move forward as a unit then oh dear pass it backwards then get intercepted, opponents break on us and score. Same old England.

Lallana and Barkeley are only 2 creative players we have, Gerard of course is but will prob be played out of position. Lambert will be awesome as ever.

Hope I'm wrong of course.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
15:41 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  

hodgson picked players on form lmao half of them cant get in there club teams and havent played well when on pitch

This is perhaps the worst post I've seen about football this season. Of the squad picked who haven't had injuries, 35 is the lowest number of club appearances this season. The others are: Wilshere (34), Sturridge (33), Johnson (30), Jagielka (30), Forster (25), Oxlade-Chamberlain (20)

The only two that concern me have had the longest time injured and it was earlier in the season (Forster had 3-4 months out, Oxlade-Chamberlain had 5 months out)

Tell me who exactly can't even get in their own team? Which half of the squad?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:46 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Zante: we are entitled to our opinions, yes ckes is completely wrong and im sure he will realise that after Mr Wikipedias thrown all his stats at him again.

You're entitled to yours and lets just leave it at that.
cke1982
cke1982
15:51 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
krazyash_07 said:

Sterling - Duarte Bernard
Gerrard - Hernanes
Lallana - Fabregas
Rooney - Falcao
Henderson - Thiago Alcantara
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Eden Hazard
Milner (at times) - G. Wijnaldum
Shaw - Joel Veltman
Baines - Alba or Coentrao
Barkley - Tony Vilhena or Lucas Biglia

Easily Sterling, Bernard has done nothing in 8 European appearances this season, played in 18 Ukrainian league matches (is only good enough to average just under 45 minutes a game), scored 2 assisted 7. Sterling has 33 appearances in the prem (a much harder league) with 9 goals and 7 assists. No contest, Brazilian talent gets massively overhyped

Hernanes is good but doesn't match Gerrard and he is a different type of midfielder. The only comparable player is Pirlo and I'd give a draw for that one. Leaders who run the show with their passing ability.

Lallana - Fabregas is an unfair comparison, Fabregas is well established. It's more like Koke who I'd give the edge to, but Lallana is right up there too.

Rooney - Falcao, well another easy one. Falcao is a better finisher, Rooney has had a better season. Both carrying injury, Rooney likely to go and Falcao is likely to miss out or be rushed back too soon. Rooney wins.

gerrard started rubbish this season had better 2nd half of season rooney shocking this season
cke1982
cke1982
15:54 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  

This is perhaps the worst post I've seen about football this season. Of the squad picked who haven't had injuries, 35 is the lowest number of club appearances this season. The others are: Wilshere (34), Sturridge (33), Johnson (30), Jagielka (30), Forster (25), Oxlade-Chamberlain (20)

The only two that concern me have had the longest time injured and it was earlier in the season (Forster had 3-4 months out, Oxlade-Chamberlain had 5 months out)

Tell me who exactly can't even get in their own team? Which half of the squad?

welbeck oxlade chamberlain lampard milner
i said havent had good form and some havent been in there team
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
15:55 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
3 players are Liverpool, the only one with any doubts about who is better is Henderson and I think he's in great form with Thiago not being as big a player for Munich as him.

Every opinion you've offered has been biased particularly against Liverpool. I know how to be objective and you don't seem to be, particularly from the language used.

They do yes, but it doesn't mean they'll perform. On the whole the list you offered was crap. England squad is better, but the real talent is elsewhere. Gerrard won't be played out of position so I have no clue how you worked that one out. Just because you don't want to see them doesn't mean the world doesn't. Particularly the worldwide support some prem teams have, a lot of England players will be people's ones to watch.

The worst statement of all us saying when it comes to crunch time out players don't have it. I would think since the premier league is over and most of our players had a good season, "crunch time" is still in a month. So judge them on that not your own biases.
cke1982
cke1982
15:55 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I didn't ask you to compare them and being a Liverpool fan you're opinions when considering any is and will be biased.
My point were the other nations have better more exciting players than we do, they are the ones im looking forward to seeing none of our 'wannabe super footballers', who simply when crunch time happens don't have the technical, tactical, artistry, creativeness as other nations. We will pass the ball from side to side move forward as a unit then oh dear pass it backwards then get intercepted, opponents break on us and score. Same old England.

Lallana and Barkeley are only 2 creative players we have, Gerard of course is but will prob be played out of position. Lambert will be awesome as ever.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

look at the world class players in other nations and how many in england squad to me i think none
cke1982
cke1982
15:56 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Zante: we are entitled to our opinions, yes ckes is completely wrong and im sure he will realise that after Mr Wikipedias thrown all his stats at him again.

You're entitled to yours and lets just leave it at that.

if mine was wrong i wouldnt say it i said a lot arent on form and some cant get in there team
cke1982
cke1982
15:58 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
3 players are Liverpool, the only one with any doubts about who is better is Henderson and I think he's in great form with Thiago not being as big a player for Munich as him.

Every opinion you've offered has been biased particularly against Liverpool. I know how to be objective and you don't seem to be, particularly from the language used.

They do yes, but it doesn't mean they'll perform. On the whole the list you offered was crap. England squad is better, but the real talent is elsewhere. Gerrard won't be played out of position so I have no clue how you worked that one out. Just because you don't want to see them doesn't mean the world doesn't. Particularly the worldwide support some prem teams have, a lot of England players will be people's ones to watch.

The worst statement of all us saying when it comes to crunch time out players don't have it. I would think since the premier league is over and most of our players had a good season, "crunch time" is still in a month. So judge them on that not your own biases.

henderson started off good went rubbish sturidge gerrard started off rubbish had better 2nd half of season johnson cant defend more like a winger flanno to many fouls and got ripped down wings in last few games same think to many games caught up with a lot of lfc players and see how they do in world cup
cke1982
cke1982
15:59 Wed 14 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
this squad is virtually same as are debarcle against italy other than a few coming in wheres the new blood and the dads army guys being left out
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

World Cup 2014

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.