Wishing your opponent good luck.

Viewing forum thread.
Back to General Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:02 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
It seems like game etiquette to wish your opponent good luck.
I personally don't understand why we do it though as i don't actually wish my opponent to get lucky and fluke shots and beat me!
Would everyone take it personal if i wish you back luck against me and good luck vs other opponents?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:14 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i personaly dont care about saying gl but its just the way the game goes i am also not fussed about flukes
punkpoet
punkpoet
18:18 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I don't know, it just always has seemed the way to say gl. I don't like it when people don't and have been known to say something in the past but these days i don't bother mostly.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:00 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I suppose it is "fair play" to wish your opponent good luck and we all do it, just do we mean it? lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:13 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I suppose it is "fair play" to wish your opponent good luck and we all do it, just do we mean it? lol

spot on
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:21 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I can't think of many people that actually mean, but it is common courtesy I feel, like the handshakes at the start of a footy match etc.

But its each to their own.
cke1982
cke1982
23:00 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i think its better saying it at start and then if u know its best of 5 say it after each game type but some people say it every game whats up to them but each to there own
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:10 Sat 31 May 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i just feel like i'm cursing myself by saying it!
Might as well say "hope you get plenty of flukes vs me and the balls fall your way"
franer_
franer_
03:47 Sun 1 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah good luck have a good game..*hope u play horrible*

Next!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:35 Sun 1 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah good luck have a good game..*hope u play horrible*

Next!

LOL this made me laugh, don't think i'd be the most liked player on the game if i wrote "hope u play horrible"
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
06:10 Sun 1 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Good Luck just not too much
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:14 Sun 1 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Good Luck just not too much

If there was a like button i'd like this comment :) lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:35 Sun 1 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
It's just a common courtesy from a bygone era. I like to say it as I am a polite guy by nature.
triple_b
triple_b
00:59 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i think its good sportsmanship to say good luck before you play , not everyone says it tho which is a shame . its just a polite saying which is lacking these days
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:00 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I always say it before a real match, and then shake hands after.

I think it is just each to their own, most say it as an ice breaker, rather than actual good luck.

I will always say it, and I will always say it after a game, unless I have a fluked big style, then i will just apologise.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:37 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  

I think it is just each to their own, most say it as an ice breaker, rather than actual good luck.

I will always say it, and I will always say it after a game, unless I have a fluked big style, then i will just apologise.

hey Chapster it's very commendable that your say good luck and it seems u have a good attitude towards pool and your opponent but do you actually wish your opponent to have good luck?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:40 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  

hey Chapster it's very commendable that your say good luck and it seems u have a good attitude towards pool and your opponent but do you actually wish your opponent to have good luck?

When I say 'good luck' I am hoping that the person plays their best. That way if you win, you know you have played a guy at the top of his game and come out on top.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:42 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
LOl i know what your saying and i totally agree BUT i hate loosing at pool it can change my manner for the rest of the night honestly. Especially when i have lost 2 some flukey shots. ( i know that's pool )
My attitude is to be a winner u have to hate loosing. SO i honestly do not wish my opponent good luck i just hope they have a good game.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:48 Mon 2 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I obviously do not wish them good luck, I hope they have a good game, as you state.

Flukes happen in this game, everyone who plays me knows that I always LOL myself when i fluke something, but then you do get a few people who go off in a strop if you fluke one.

I think anyone who strops at flukes, should read davey_1985's profile.
kirk
kirk
19:02 Tue 3 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Its more of a common courtesy of good will which seems to be dwindling in todays society. If you dont wanna say good luck then say have a good game, or say nothing. Hardly warrants a thread though?
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Wishing your opponent good luck.

Back to Top of this Page
Back to General Chat.
Back to Forum List.