World Cup 2014

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 12
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:58 Mon 9 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Clearly you didn't watch Liverpool much this season, where we tore apart plenty if teams with the 4-4-2 diamond, it takes a very skilled bunch of players to be able to get the best out of it, and with a lot of Liverpool players (that should definitely be starting) the knowledge is already there and wouldnt be that hard to implement lol.

My preferred system is 4-3-3. I just like how the numbers seem right.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
03:41 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Funnily enough Spain played in a similarly narrow formation against Italy in the euro's and won 4-0.

Crosses from out wide against big tough centre backs? Good idea David Moyes. We need to shut down Pirlo for starters, that restricts their attack, then beat them with pace and industry. The age of the Italians, particularly at the back is their Achilles heel, they won't have the legs on the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and co.

The width can come from the wide midfielders or the strikers moving wide, the AM can act like a false nine. The fullbacks provide width (which suits Johnson and Baines) while the DM provides cover and can spray passes and run the show. When playing narrowly it allows the team to dominate the middle, and a passing game can run the legs of an aged side.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:42 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
The age of the Italians, particularly at the back is their Achilles heel, they won't have the legs on the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and co.

Disagree with that one. Chiellini, Di Sciglio, Paletta, Abate, Bonucci and Darmian are all in their twenties
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:47 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
The age of the Italians, particularly at the back is their Achilles heel, they won't have the legs on the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and co.

Disagree with that one. Chiellini, Di Sciglio, Paletta, Abate, Bonucci and Darmian are all in their twenties

Of those people you mentioned, only Abate i would credit with any pace though. None of the others have anywhere near enough to get the better of Sterling, Sturridge, Barkley etc.

But pace isn't everything, look at Mertesaker for Arsenal, not blessed with any pace, but reads the game expertly.

We will have to be good, very good to beat the italians, I just hope we don't just focus on Pirlo, there are 9 other outfield players who could do some damage!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:49 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
England's only hope is that Italy don't start tournaments well. If Italy hook it up straight away, I see little hope for you. Buffon is still a world class keeper, Chiellini and Barzagli anchor the defence (plus they play together every week at Juve). Di Sciglio and Abate provide pace and a threat going forward, Pirlo is simply a genius enough said. De Rossi and Marchisio are strong in defence and attack, and then Balotelli and Immobile with Candreva behind. Balotelli is a bit inconsistent but Immobile will punish and Candreva can string some passes together. Coming off the bench, Cassano will set up plenty of chances when England are tired. All in all, England will struggle if Italy do what they are capable of.

This is the side that should play. whether it does or not is another matter
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:49 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  

Of those people you mentioned, only Abate i would credit with any pace though. None of the others have anywhere near enough to get the better of Sterling, Sturridge, Barkley etc.

But pace isn't everything, look at Mertesaker for Arsenal, not blessed with any pace, but reads the game expertly.

We will have to be good, very good to beat the italians, I just hope we don't just focus on Pirlo, there are 9 other outfield players who could do some damage!

Abate and Di Sciglio both very pacy
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:02 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Italy thrashed Fluminense the other night, with Immobile scoring 3/4, then they decided to sub on Ballotelli. Italy were quite impressive, there team is much stronger than ours and I expect them to beat England 2-0 in opening match. As for Pirlo he were on the bench and didn't even get subbed, may indicate starts vs England but wouldn't be so sure. Plus they played Mattia Perrin in goal, he looks quality too.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:10 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Can we beat the Italians? Yes. Do we need to makes some changes from the 3 friendlies we just had? 100 percent.
From reading the last few messages i agree with zantetsukenz we need to shut down Pirlo. He pulls the strings from the back we can't let him run out with the ball and make one of his well executed passes slicing us open.
After watching the friendlies i would put lallana on the left wing he will give us more width than Danny Welbeck has. I would also make the bold decision of dropping Rooney and Playing Welbeck and Sturridge upfront.
Our strikers need to be more clinical also.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:21 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Rooneys having a bit of a baron spell of late, he exudes from confidence, dropping him IMO would be catastrophic as he has an influence to many players in the England squad. Keep faith with Rooney, pair him up with Lambert so when he drops deep and pings the ball forward he has a more able target man. Sturridge and Rooney is like Defoe and Rooney, didn't click as both wanted run to same positions. I think Rooney will come good this World Cup, id like England do well, hopefully some reverse psychology might work.

Say we are crap and don't stand a chance when deep down hope the opposite happens, plus if go in with low expectations anything good will be a bonus.

cke1982
cke1982
18:45 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  

italy arent that old likefrance they got rid of there older players uve got el sharwarry balotelli di rossi gilerdino where only team that keeps old grandads in team when we fail
cke1982
cke1982
18:47 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Can we beat the Italians? Yes. Do we need to makes some changes from the 3 friendlies we just had? 100 percent.
From reading the last few messages i agree with zantetsukenz we need to shut down Pirlo. He pulls the strings from the back we can't let him run out with the ball and make one of his well executed passes slicing us open.
After watching the friendlies i would put lallana on the left wing he will give us more width than Danny Welbeck has. I would also make the bold decision of dropping Rooney and Playing Welbeck and Sturridge upfront.

did we beat them in the euros and its virtually gonna be the same team with a few exceptions think well get beat 2 or 3 nill hope im wrong
cke1982
cke1982
18:48 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  

lalanna best position is attacking mid he was only put on left by pochetino id play him behind sturidge and lambert
cke1982
cke1982
18:49 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Rooneys having a bit of a baron spell of late, he exudes from confidence, dropping him IMO would be catastrophic as he has an influence to many players in the England squad. Keep faith with Rooney, pair him up with Lambert so when he drops deep and pings the ball forward he has a more able target man. Sturridge and Rooney is like Defoe and Rooney, didn't click as both wanted run to same positions. I think Rooney will come good this World Cup, id like England do well, hopefully some reverse psychology might work.

Say we are crap and don't stand a chance when deep down hope the opposite happens, plus if go in with low expectations anything good will be a bonus.

hasnt rooney had enough chances awful in euros when he was the saviour and worse player last world cup but hogson will start him a welbeck cause he loves them so much
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
21:55 Tue 10 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
The first choice defence had an average age over 30, I think that's old compared to most teams it's all good mentioning these young players but they aren't likely to be the top choice on the defence
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:15 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
First choice would likely be:
Abate Chiellini Barzagli Di Sciglio

Average age 27.5

EDIT: Did England's and average age came out to 27.75
hippesville
hippesville
03:50 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
England 1 - 3 Italy....if rooney starts

even tho amma united fan, I believe rooney should be sub. smashin player to bring on later in game, but Italians I feel will win unless England make changes up front
the__priest
the__priest
12:13 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Rooney is one of the best players
this country has ever produced by far

you lot me chuckle

no ione ever thought scholes was a class player until world class players and man utd players said he was the greatest player this country had produced

amazing really because world class say the same about
Rooney, also man utd wouldn't have given him the contract he has if he was average

one of Rooneys biggest admirers is one Christiano Ronaldo
another average player
chezz
chezz
18:02 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
overrated team?
Belgium (apparently, according to the bookies, they have a better chance than uruaguay)
underrated team?
Chile
top scorer?
Suarez
most team goals?
Uruaguay
keeper with most clean sheets?
Germany
player of tournament?
Manuel Neuer
what 2 teams will be in final?
England vs Dont care
chezz
chezz
18:05 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
...................................Sturridge................................................

Rooney........................Barkley.............................Welbeck

......................Henderson.....Gerrard....................................

Shaw....................Cahill.........Jagielka..................Johnson

........................................Hart................................................

I can't stand glen johnson, he is very lucky micah richards has been out in the cold at man city, as he is far better
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:35 Wed 11 Jun 14 (BST)  [Link]  
overrated team?
England
underrated team?
Switzerland/Croatia
top scorer?
Diego Costa
most team goals?
Brazil
keeper with most clean sheets?