Change to the rules regarding legal break shots?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
derik_dalton
derik_dalton
22:26 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
ye have a funky pinball room aswell, and we can all go dizzy, itll be a right laugh
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:34 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
ye have a funky pinball room aswell, and we can all go dizzy, itll be a right laugh

I know its hard to stick to topics, specially if the topic effects one self..
It effects in my opinion just two players, maybe 1-2 more

But other way round, it effects all players but 2, maybe 1-2 more..
the__priest
the__priest
23:16 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
stand corrected on todays rules

however
I was on about when the site was developed
2003 ish
the rules I stated were correct

I still don't believe any rules should be changed
this isn't a pool professionals site

its a game for kids young and old
inspired for people to have fun

something which appears to have been lost somewhere along the line

half the problem with this site
is its to serious

just adapt your game simple really
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:21 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I am no expert on UK - but others that know better have commented on that game.

I am pretty sure the break off in 9 Ball has some rule about three balls passing the headstring line, or four balls hitting a cushion, if no ball is potted?

Getting balls past the headstring would be pretty tough on here as there isn't the power generated in the break off compared to real life play. But four balls to the cushion should be possible.

I am guessing it would be a fairly simple change as something similar already exists in the other game types. Obviously totally dependent on the owner though which is a different issue altogether.

I am in favour generally of rules being reasonably close to the real ones.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:22 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
craig, i played from 1994 till 1998 in london and in manchester in a UK local league, and never were youre stated rules correct.

And, why does a kids game needs a ranking system? You know the kids and lately myself dont care much about such things, now and then i do.. but not as much as 6 years back.

The rule wont harm Kids, as they dont play for ranks and dont tap.. You know that
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:26 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I am no expert on UK - but others that know better have commented on that game.

I am pretty sure the break off in 9 Ball has some rule about three balls passing the headstring line, or four balls hitting a cushion, if no ball is potted?

Getting balls past the headstring would be pretty tough on here as there isn't the power generated in the break off compared to real life play. But four balls to the cushion should be possible.

I am guessing it would be a fairly simple change as something similar already exists in the other game types. Obviously totally dependent on the owner though which is a different issue altogether.

I am in favour generally of rules being reasonably close to the real ones.

slightly above, first page i posted the officiall rules, and thanks for not tellin me off :)
the__priest
the__priest
23:27 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
craig, i played from 1994 till 1998 in london and in manchester in a UK local league, and never were youre stated rules correct.

And, why does a kids game needs a ranking system? You know the kids and lately myself dont care much about such things, now and then i do.. but not as much as 6 years back.

The rule wont harm Kids, as they dont play for ranks and dont tap.. You know that

a minority on here have made changes on this site for the worse in my opinion
the bitterness, bullying and negativity is what's to blame

your thread title is also a very negative comment
hence my remarks

enough from me now
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:29 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
slightly above, first page i posted the officiall rules, and thanks for not tellin me off :)

Yep those are some I have seen. I am pretty sure the balls past the headstring line has been used too. Probably in a Mosconi Cup or World Cup that I watched.

I don't know if it was specific to those competitions, a rule just for televised tournaments, or a rule that has since been changed to the four balls to cushion rule?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:30 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The thread title is about my feelings, and as far i know, others too.
Of course not all, some just adapt.

Im not doin this cause im not adaptable, im doin this cause such players also very rude, when asked a simple question, why they have no pride in their game, as they are competitive ones, and not kids..
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:32 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

Yep those are some I have seen. I am pretty sure the balls past the headstring line has been used too. Probably in a Mosconi Cup or World Cup that I watched.

I don't know if it was specific to those competitions, a rule just for televised tournaments, or a rule that has since been changed to the four balls to cushion rule?

Youre right about the 9er rule, and i know as tested that is nearly inpossible to do so here.. thats why i was askin only for the cusion rule, without the line.

Open up, and maybe pot, thats the game.. not rollin to the pack and wait for others to break. If i adapt, we have a safetybattle and tons of DQ DQ

what use is this..?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:35 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Gosh.. thanks for changing the Title :D
derik_dalton
derik_dalton
23:36 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
some players like to exchange safeties, some dont, i really couldnt careless, if u change the break, ill just adapt without the tap break that io only use say 20 percent of time anyway, as far as im concerned change it
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:43 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Derik, i know you use it for tactical reasons, and im the last player which minds a tactical game, even delibrate fouls okay for me, as they are within rules..

15. FOUL PENALTY. Opposing player gets cue ball in hand. This means that the player can place the cue ball anywhere on the table (does not have to be behind the head string except on opening break). This rule prevents a player from making intentional fouls which would put his opponent at a disadvantage. With "cue ball in hand," the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion contacting the cue ball will be a foul, if not a legal shot.

well it doesnt prevent, if you dont mind peeps gettin ball in hand

but its of topic.. a bit
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:48 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

A technical question would be what happens if the rule is broken.

A rerack and player swap, but what happens when the player pots 8 or 9, is it a gb?
Or
Rerack same player breaks?
derik_dalton
derik_dalton
23:49 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Derik, i know you use it for tactical reasons, and im the last player which minds a tactical game, even delibrate fouls okay for me, as they are within rules..

15. FOUL PENALTY. Opposing player gets cue ball in hand. This means that the player can place the cue ball anywhere on the table (does not have to be behind the head string except on opening break). This rule prevents a player from making intentional fouls which would put his opponent at a disadvantage. With "cue ball in hand," the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion contacting the cue ball will be a foul, if not a legal shot.

well it doesnt prevent, if you dont mind peeps gettin ball in hand

but its of topic.. a bit

i play to the rules of the site, if they change i dont give a flute if they stay same then i dont give a flute, like i say theres many things wrong with the gameplay of the game aswell as the rules, but we justt get on and play em
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:52 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Sure, and the less polite stuff you rumble on in pm.. or room chat, if not many there.. i know :P
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:52 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Any ball potted constitutes a legal break doesnt it?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:55 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
3.3 Break Shot
The following rules apply to the break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) No ball is called, and the cue ball is not required to hit any particular object ball first.
(c) If the breaker pockets a ball and does not foul, he continues at the table, and the table remains open. (See 3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups.)
(d) If no object ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or the shot results in an illegal break, and the incoming player has the option of

(1) accepting the table in position, or
(2) re-racking and breaking, or
(3) re-racking and allowing the offending player to break again.

(e) Pocketing the eight ball on a legal break shot is not a foul. If the eight ball is pocketed, the breaker has the option of

(1) re-spotting the eight ball and accepting the balls in position, or
(2) re-breaking.

(f) If the breaker pockets the eight ball and scratches (see definition 8.6 Scratch), the opponent has the option of

(1) re-spotting the eight ball and shooting with cue ball in hand behind the head string; or
(2) re-breaking.

(g) If any object ball is driven off the table on a break shot, it is a foul; such balls remain out of play (except the eight ball which is re-spotted); and the incoming player has the option of

(2) taking cue ball in hand behind the head string.

(h) If the breaker fouls
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:55 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
in short:

(c) If the breaker pockets a ball and does not foul, he continues at the table, and the table remains open. (See 3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups.)
(d) If no object ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or the shot results in an illegal break, and the incoming player has the option of
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:58 Tue 30 Dec 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
the technical bit..

(2) re-racking and breaking, or
(3) re-racking and allowing the offending player to break again.

only one possible i guess?
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Change to the rules regarding legal break shots?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.