Premier League 2016 / 2017 Season

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 178
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
01:01 Mon 24 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
What a Blessed day to be a Manchester United fan, United beating Burnley 2-0, Arsenal knocking the noisey neighbours out of the FA Cup and Crystal Palace stunning Liverpool at Anfield.

Quality!!! Two games in hand, Aguero, Fernando & Silva all got substituted due to carrying knocks...hope we beat them on Thursday. Failing that we have a tricky semi final vs a decent team in Celta Vigo but I think we'll just scrape through.

Liverpool seem to have lost their mojo and United are just continuing our game by game 23 unbeaten streak. Top 4 is still very much on...I didn't think it was a few weeks back

C'mon United!!!
_huts24_
_huts24_
01:48 Mon 24 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I wouldnt say Liverpool have lost there mojo , bad Result today tho , should easily win against palace at home .

Last few results have been good , good wins away vs stoke and west brom those teams normally would be hard for us.

Cant see man united making top 4 still , man city next for man united so cant see them winning that one lol ... and you have away matches vs Arsenal and Tottenham both tricky ones .
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
04:23 Mon 24 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
We have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Thursday, the expectations and pressure will be on Man City - also if they've lost Silva and Aguero to injury then we'll have an even better chance of leaving the Emptihad with at least a point.

You scraped a 1-0 win vs WBA - the performance was nothing special and the granted you played pretty decent vs Stoke City. IF we can come away with a point on Thursday then that would be okay and give us a platform to build upon, Arsenal Away - usually a tough fixture but we normally win, the trickiest one will be versus Tottenham - but that's quite a way down the fixture list remaining - we have to focus on Celta Vigo in the Europa League and they are a tough side (not one to be underestimated)....I do still think we'll draw Away and win at Home in the 2nd leg & progress to the Final possibly versus Ajax as I reckon they'll be too strong for Lyon. (Donny Van De Beek and Kaspar Dolberg are top players)
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
16:06 Mon 24 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
The expectation might be more on City, but a draw suits City more. United need the win if they want top 4 and they're the ones who have to juggle Europe league in the tougher league run in. You've also got Ibra, Mata, Smalling, Jones and Rojo definitely out with Pogba a doubt.

I don't think you watched the West Brom game. We largely dominated and should've won by at least 3. They came for a clean sheet and didn't threaten until the last five minutes where they had one chance. Pretty much how United have been doing for a while .

The Crystal Palace loss was a disappointment, but they've got a strong recent record against us and they were 3rd in the form table (behind Spurs and us). I don't think it's a lost mojo, just came across a tough team in good form. Form that has seen them beat Chelsea and Arsenal in this same run.

You should be favourites for Arsenal but with them being behind you it's a must win. I think you'll draw too many and just miss out.

Celta Vigo should be tricky but you should beat them, Ajax or Lyon would be a tougher test.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
01:12 Fri 28 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
19 seconds. Take a bow Fellaini, take a bow
_huts24_
_huts24_
21:33 Sun 30 Apr 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Cough SWANSEA ! Points dropped for man united another draw hehe
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:47 Mon 1 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Suddenly those games in hand for City, United and Arsenal don't look as good as points on the board. Big chance for Liverpool now, Watford are far better at home but they've reached the 40 point mark and surely safety (hopefully they're on the beach, a 6-1 win repeat would be nice).

Arsenal vs United next week looks mammoth now in deciding who will finish above who.
_huts24_
_huts24_
00:57 Tue 2 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Liverpool took there chance with a good win away . Great news !
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
04:22 Tue 2 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Great goal by Emre Can but Liverpool were tripe. Watford weren't much better, unfortunate to hit the post in the dying seconds on the match. I'm confident you'll screw/slip up again....it's how you roll every season. Southampton Next - well they are your feeder team so it'll be more of a scouting match - they could win, West Ham Away - Won't be an easy fixture...i reckon West Ham 1-0 and Middlesbrough at Home....depends on their status - if already relegated then you'll win. Man City drew 2-2 so don't underestimate them.

If you don't we'll try and beat Celta Vigo - they're a decent team but I don't see why we cannot win....apart from having no 1st team to select from. We'll draw away and scrape a win at Home.

United don't need Champions League football to attract and bring in the best (Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic etc)....unlike Liverpool and even then you'll be fighting tooth and nail with Chelsea and Tottenham for the targets.

Looks like you're already missing out on some targets already (Insigne, Theo Hernandez you won't get Ryan Sessegnon...I reckon he'll stay at Fulham or join United)....I'll get me popcorn and watch the rest refuse Liverpool as they come across as desperate.

Isco to join Liverpool when you lose Coutinho to Barcelona....do me a favour LOL....he'll stay at Real Madrid especially now Rodriguez will be leaving. I'll be mightily surprised if you manage to lure him, cannot see him leaving for Liverpool....possibly end up in Italy.

Edited at 01:27 Tue 02/05/17 (BST)
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:59 Thu 4 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Liverpool were the better team, we limited them to few chances and they weren't really in it until the end. Compare that to Swansea's performance against you where they were better than you, they were unlucky to only get a point and they only lost out because Rashford cheated.

Even with a blip we should finish above you. Southampton, Spurs, Arsenal and Palace. Palace are better than West Ham, we both have Southampton. So you're comparing Middlesbrough to Arsenal and Spurs.

You're a better side than Celta Vigo, but a tough run in and a tired depleted squad could cost you so I don't think it's a given that you'll win the Europa.

The reports say Griezmann won't join United if they aren't in CL so that's your main signing dependent on CL football. We haven't missed any targets yet, it's too soon to have plans. Everybody is always scouting.

Would rather have Mane than anyone you signed this season
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
01:53 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Looking back on early season thoughts I'm pretty pleased with what I said, looks fairly accurate. Gotta be happy with that, though just how accurate depends on the final day. Though tonight's result mean United finish 6th, which is very satisfying with all the stick we've had and the money they've spent.

Chelsea obviously have had a successful season, with a double still on they must be thrilled.

Tottenham also have I think, a very worthy 2nd with improvement from last year but let down in cup competitions.

Man City have had a disappointing season, but the margins have been quite fine. 6-6 on aggregate and out on away goals in CL to one of the best attacking sides in Europe and out in ET in a cup semi that was anyone's to win. 3rd is some consolation but they were never in the title race once it got going and aren't even guaranteed top 4 yet.

Liverpool have kicked on, though there's still lots of work to do. The overall direction is good and we've been the top team against the top teams. We've missed having a clinical striker and have suffered injuries and absences which proved costly. Clearly squad depth is a big issue as is breaking teams down that we should beat. Still, if we finish top 4 then that is a successful season. If we don't, then it's not (though Klopp would still be the right man to take us in that direction).

Arsenal are suffering because of their fans. It's too toxic and I think that filters down onto the pitch. They should get rid of Wenger simply because he will always have question marks over him in the eyes of certain fans which will come out at any loss. It's gone on too long, but change doesn't guarantee success so I think a learning curve about that may be over due. They aren't satisfied with top 4 and they were disappointing in everything bar the FA Cup. They've gone backwards this year, and I don't think that top 4 and/or an FA cup is going to be enough for the fans to be completely on his side. The kindest thing might be to miss out on both so the whole Wenger in/out saga that has gone on for years can finally end, but I have a funny feeling there's one more season of it left.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:05 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Man United have fallen furthest of their league targets. They spent a lot of money early on to get the positions filled for a title run. Yet once they fell out the top 4, they looked outsiders to get back in for almost an entire season and ended up finishing where they spent most of the season. 25 points off the pace of where they expected to be. I think even winning Europa shouldn't be considered a successful season. If it didn't merit a CL place then it wouldn't be good enough to be so far back in the league. With it, it's probably on par with a 4th placed finish at best because a top four side should be in the CL no EL. However, winning it would make for a satisfactory first season because of the CL football it brings.

One trophy in the cabinet already does add some gloss, but these trophies were Mickey Mouse trophies when Liverpool were going for them. Can't be any better now that it's United going for them can they? I expect more business done in the market and you need a clear out still. I said Zlatan is a good striker but should be the second striker behind someone else because he won't score enough to get you a title and I think that was right still. Rooney has been terrible, you needed another big name striker I felt and you could've had so much more. With Zlatan injured and potentially leaving, you might need two but you could probably make do with one if you get the best out what you have already. CL is important for players and some won't come without so the Europa League is a must win for your season.
_huts24_
_huts24_
02:15 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
At the start of the season I wouldn't of picked Tottenham to finish in top 4 but they have done well and have shown up man United and arsenal by results /points .

Good season for Liverpool staying in the top 4 and winning against most top teams which is great to see. I would like to see next season a top centre back which is needed and a good solid wing back . Going forward we have plenty of great players who can score goals .

Agree with zak about Wenger needs sacking , he's been there way to long.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
20:29 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Really? I thought Spurs looked quite good and should've finished second last season. That was no fluke.
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
20:59 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
He doesn't deserve to be sacked, he should walk away (resign) and hand over the team to a new upcoming manager such as Leonardo Jardim (Monaco) or Thomas Tuchel (Dortmund). He's been great and worked wonders for Arsenal for over 2 decades but in order for Arsenal to regain some momentum and compete they have to make a change this season or be left behind even more.

This season for United has been nothing short of a disaster and us finishing 6th shouldn't be masked with any Cup won. We simply haven't been good enough and our failure to take our chances have been our major downfall. Do I blame Jose? A little, it's only common sense to hold the manager accountable but also I blame the players and hopefully after this abysmal campaign Mourinho will act and rectify what a lot of United fans have feared for a while....a lot of our players aren't fit enough to wear the Jersey.

Our lineups are so inconsistent, changed way to often therefore not allowing any potential partnerships to blossom or find their rhythm, we really need to fix the back line before anywhere else on the pitch. Our reliance on Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Bailly, has been another huge mistake. I hope we bring in more quality and can spread the emphasis of play across the whole team and not just those 3.

As much as I hold Mourinho accountable for the lackluster and defensive displays (way too many times), I believe he's still the person to rebuild our broken squad.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
21:38 Wed 17 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I agree, but I don't think it will happen. I think he will want to go on his terms and not be forced out, and I don't think he's ready for that yet otherwise he would've announced it and got the fans behind him for his final end of season run. Arsenal could be in trouble after Wenger with the way they run their club, it's not a risk taking club and they don't often spend a lot. They need to change that if they want to stay with the top teams.
_huts24_
_huts24_
20:10 Sun 21 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
Delighted Liverpool got champions League next season .
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
05:58 Mon 22 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
You're in the Qualifying Phase ONLY atm....get through that then you're in the Champions League. IF we win on Wednesday (vs Ajax) we avoid all that and are entered directly into the Group Stages (Pot 2)

Pot 1 (Seeded): Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Benfica, Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sparktak Moscow, Monaco

Pot 2: Barcelona, Atl.Madrid, PSG, Dortmund, Porto, Man United (If win the Europa League) *Sevilla, Man City,

Pot 3: *Napoli, Tottenham, Basel, *Dinamo Kiev, *Ajax, *Olympiakos, Anderlecht, *Liverpool

Pot 4: Remaining Clubs

* Start in the Qualifying Rounds.

So no, you're not in the CL yet....might be a stumbling block to luring top players to the team...who knows. Those teams in the Qualifying Round might trip you up....none are to be underestimated....you know Sevilla very well...last years Europa League Final defeat.
_huts24_
_huts24_
11:10 Mon 22 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
I bet we get a crap team to play fingers cross. Easy win

Also we would of strengthen our squad by the time we need to play .

Edited at 08:14 Mon 22/05/17 (BST)
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
04:51 Thu 25 May 17 (BST)  [Link]  
CHAMPIONS!!!
Back Where We Belong, IN the Champions League (Proper)

3 x Trophies in 1st Season!!!

Good Luck with the Qualifier, would be great to have ALL 5 Teams in the Competition.
Pages: 178
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Premier League 2016 / 2017 Season

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.