Deleting C:\Windows\Temp

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

flapjack
flapjack
Admin
20:20 Thu 3 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hey, i was wondering if any of you had any idea on how to delete C:\Windows\Temp?

Not the %temp% folder, but the one in windows its self. I think its about 2-3gb now and BitDefender wont stop popping up saying i have a virus, but i know what it is i think.
But the problem is i cant delete it.

I can get to it fine, but everything i do, doesnt delete becuase i need administrive powers. But im the only person who uses this computer and has full rights for it.

I have heard some people saying that even though your the admin of the pc, you still dont have enough rights to do it as its in C:\Windows.

I was thinking i might be able to do it through CMD, but i cant remember the command line and dont really trust some of the things on google as its going through system32.

Anyone out there that could give me any advice would be great, been trying to figure it out for days!

I have done nearly everything that i can think of, including using CCleaner which will not clean out the Temp folder in windows.

Many thanks, Jack
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:02 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Have you tried running Disk Cleanup? I've used that a few times and it seems to work ok

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2006/02/tip-of-the-day-clean-out-your-windows-temp-folder-properly/
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:49 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
What version of Windows are you running at?

Also what do you think the problem is as there might be a different way of deleting the file?
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
17:20 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
@cmurphy, done Disk Cleanup, and removed %temp% not the Temp in windows

@sj123 im running win7 untimate 32bit and i think that it might be a crack that i used once, and its most likely a false positive

Thanks for the quick feedback :D
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:57 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
22:18 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thankss cmurphy, but im already the full owner, and its not the temp in %appdata% that i want to be deleting, its C:\Windows\Temp :/

But many thanks anyway
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:32 Fri 4 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hmm that's strange how it would say you need Admin rights when you're already an Admin, although I've never used Windows 7 so I'm not sure of any changes to permissions. And I can't see anything on google that would point towards other people having similar problems.

Just out of interest, have you tried using a program called Unlocker?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Edit: From reading this article, it seems like you need to change the permissions for the actual Temp folder to gain full access and control over this folder. Microsoft seems to have introduced this for added security.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

Edited at 21:42 Fri 04/03/11 (GMT)
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
12:31 Sat 5 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Cmurphy, its still not working for me :/

I already had full permissions.
Also i tried the unlocker, and that doesnt seem to work, i use the unlocker on the folders i want to delete, and they're still there when it says it has deleted them.
All the contents are also in the folder still
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
17:23 Sat 5 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ran out of time to edit my post

But i have half solved it, i have managed to delete 5.49gb of temp files, using a nifty little porgram called TFC. if anyone wants the link ill hunt it down.

But, i still have 2 folders, and one called temp00007451 is still there and didnt get deleted, and saying i have the same virus in it.

Suggestions?
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
11:43 Sun 6 Mar 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Sorted now, Got rid of BitDefender, onto Microsoft security essentials, much better and does the job of a proper anti-virus

Thanks for all your help
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Deleting C:\Windows\Temp

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.