Do you think Your computer is infected?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

flapjack
flapjack
Admin
22:42 Thu 12 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Basically, its from over on snooks, and thought it would be a good idea to have it over here too..

http://www.funkysnooker.com/thread/7524/do-you-think-you-re-computer-is-infected/1

Jack_Pot from snooks said:

First things first, if you haven't already, choose and install an Anti-Virus software. If you're not sure which Anti-Virus to go for, here are 2 small lists, (free software & paid software).

Note: Do not have more than one Anti-Virus installed on your computer!

Freeware:
- Avira
- AVG
- Avast

Paid Software:
- Kaspersky
- ESET Smart Security
- Norton
- McAfee

(I use AVG and it has been excellent).

Once you have installed your chosen Anti-Virus, run a full system scan and remove any files that have been detected as being malicious.

If you still believe you're computer may be infected, click the below spoiler for futher advice.

Continued on the next post...
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
22:46 Thu 12 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
Ok so you've ran a scan using your Anti-Virus and you're still having trouble..
There are 2 steps I recommend..
Firstly
Download CCleaner. This is a fantastic application which get rid of all your unused/unwated files, (browser cookies, temporary files, browser history, etc..) aswell as allowing you to fix any issues with your registry.

Secondly
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This program pretty much picks up any malware that you may have on your computer.
I had a friend that thought he was infected once, I told him about this application, he ran a full scan, and found someone was watching his every move through a Remote Administration Tool, he was able to remove it safely.

I personally dont use any anti-virus as im running ubuntu which is a form of linux, so far its pretty good!

I would also like to add Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) , its free and can be downloaded form here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f

But also if you would like to pay, i would highly recommend Kaspersky or Nod, as mentioned above by Jack_Pot

/Thanks to jack_pot over on funysnooker for the original post/
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:31 Sun 15 May 11 (BST)  [Link]  
ive tried the free AVG but still got caught out, although its probably the best freebie......i use kaspersky now, its superb, runs and updates in the background with minimal interuptions to the running of my lappy.....bottom line is, be secure, it doesnt take much these days even more so with the rise and rise of facebook
stay safe all
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Do you think Your computer is infected?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.