Windows Vista.

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:48 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Who has Windows Vista and what do you think of it?
av_it_
av_it_
15:59 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I have not used it myself but after the investergation into windows vista i saw on tv think im going to stay with xp for the time being

read the investergation report yourself

http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=401&section=Features&show=s6e9&featureid=347&description=Microsoft%20Vista
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:15 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Everyone has differing opinions. Basically you need to evaluate what you need and see if Vista can provide more than XP towards it.

At work, everything is moving to Vista for security reasons, but i'm happy with XP on my home and portable machines for now.
av_it_
av_it_
16:41 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The Upgrade Advisor looked at all the hardware and software he was currently running - it gave him an idea of what problems he might encounter during the installation - for one, he was lacking a Vista driver for his Nikon Film Scanner, and possibly one for his sound card too.

It seemed that there might also be some compatibility problems with his firewall, Zone Alarm...
...and bizarrely, Microsoft's own Windows Messenger programme.

A bit disconcerting, but he hoped updates for the incompatible programmes would be available online.

45 minutes and 10 downloads later he was ready to go. He made the choice to install Vista Premium, despite what the Upgrade Advisor told me, on the grounds that his computer matched all the system requirements. He hoped that it was a decision he wouldn't later live to regret.

Short paragragh from the gadget show investergation www.thegadgetshow.com

couldnt help but laugh when microsofts own msn was not compatible with vista pmsl
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:51 Mon 6 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
All those things are detailed in Vista's documentation. I love when so called "experts" dont even read the manual before installing things
joy1511
joy1511
02:37 Tue 7 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Thats all rubbish you said . i think that vista is good , it may mash up your computer if it isnt vista capable!
joy1511
joy1511
02:37 Tue 7 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
oops double post!

Edited at 07:37 Tue 7/08/07 (BST)
curtisorren
curtisorren
02:18 Wed 8 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I have had 2 vista laptops for about 6 months and i have found them great. i love the layout and find it easier than xp. Would reccomend however on funkysnooker and funkypool you cant see thecursor on the black screen as the crosshairs are black. The custom cursor still goes to a crosshair so that doesnt help
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:31 Wed 8 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I dunno with Vista though. Do you not find the screen dimming and a massive sign coming up every time you want to install something annoying?
And my dad had lots of problems with Microsoft Office because Vista just totally messed up saying that it wasn't installed when it clearly was. Vista isn't really any different than XP apart from it being more flashy. It contains the same amount of stuff as XP but with a few new flashy little upgrades. And it uses copious amounts of memory on the hard drive and RAM.
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:36 Wed 8 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
m_c_r said:
I dunno with Vista though. Do you not find the screen dimming and a massive sign coming up every time you want to install something annoying?

You can turn that feature off if you like.

A warning/confirmation option for anytime a system file is being changed was something very widely requested by users.

Would you rather have an OS that allows programs to do whatever they want to your setup without letting you know?

Yes, there are large hardware requirements and software conflicts, these are all very well documented so as the saying goes, RTFM
rooney_8
rooney_8
16:59 Wed 8 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
i have vista and i think its great
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:50 Thu 9 Aug 07 (BST)  [Link]  
I'm probably gonna wait til Vienna before I upgrade from XP. Vista does look great, but ignoring aesthetics, it doesn't really offer anything extra that's useful to me so there's no way I can justify spending the money on it.

I do like Vista more now than I did when I first used it, but XP does everything I need and is pretty reliable too.

And for anyone who is thinking of upgrading, do as spinner says and 'RTFM'... except it's a good idea to take the premium requirements as what you need to run the basic edition, and double most things if you want to install premium or ultimate. It will work with Microsoft's minimum recommendations, but expect it to be a bit on the slow side.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:01 Wed 3 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
im getting vista on my laptop i hope it works with counter strike though
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:57 Wed 3 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Aussieboy i suggest you look into whether your software is compatible... put it this way 90% of my xp compatible games failed to even load up on my vista system.

**Note**
There are available free patches to download which in some cases solve the compatibility issues but please understand not all games have this feature.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:53 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Vista Is Almost Like XP It Has System 32 Windows Documents And Settings Users Program Files.

The Only Difference Is The Themes And The Speed I Have Vista To Be Honest I Think It Is Terrible BY My Opinion.

Vista Is A Micorosft Product So Microsoft Want Loads Of Money For It SO They Provide A Download To It Directly (Not Able To Tell You Due To Rules).
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Windows Vista.

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.