Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
sm_rat
sm_rat
08:51 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Just want to know if there are any dangers of giving out an IP address

Cos I gave it out on techguy yesturday to help solve a problem, and now I cant access the internet.

If someone got ahold of it, could they cause this?

If not, has anyone got any ideas to get the wireless working again?
tourny_rank
tourny_rank
08:58 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Highly improbable that this has been caused by you giving away your IP address. Anybody can view your IP address if you go onto their web site. I can even track peoples IP addresses from a profile I have on a website. It isn't hard to get somebodies IP address but it is hard to do something with it.

Like I said before, it's highly improbable that somebody has stopped your internet from your IP address being sent to them. It would take some sort of genius to do that.
sm_rat
sm_rat
09:11 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Ok thanks....That means its my wireless bust.

Any ideas?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:11 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
What wireless are you using?

Is it plugged in?

Try going to the control panel: Network connections, and see what this says. You could also try going to Internet options go to the connections tab, and see if it detects your wireless adapter. On the control panel you should have a wireless option of some sort, normally situated at the bottom, click this and a tab should appear, tell me what it says!

Are you with BT? I've had 3 routers of them so far due to them not working, be careful, there tech help will try and tell you your PC is broke (as they did me) just be firm. If you know anyone who knows anything about computers, best to show them, it could be something really simple!

I'm a little tech tarded so can't really help much beyond here!

It'd be better if you could post what network you're with and what equipment you're using, we might be better able to help you mate!

Hoped this helped...

Edited at 15:13 Sun 14/10/07 (BST)
sm_rat
sm_rat
10:20 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
With sky broadband...

The problem is that I'm not recieving packets.....whatever that is.

Sent 987 , recieved 1.
Router all plugged in, and the connection is fine.

On this laptop I'm currently using, it is sending and recieving fine off the same router.

The wireless card is built in to the laptop that isnt getting internet.

It is picking up wireless, just not getting internet.

Just checking now with some tech guys.

Any help post plz
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:53 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Don't give out anything to anyone. Someone managed to get access to my bank account, no idea how, and they spent £800 of my money in fraudulent transactions. Keep everything you got as safe as you can and tell no one a thing.
tourny_rank
tourny_rank
11:58 Sun 14 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
sm_rat said:
With sky broadband...

Any help post plz

I am using sky broadband and it often goes off for a while. Says that it is connected to the router but if you hover over the icon in the corner does it say "Local Network Only"?

That happens on our broadband, but I don't get as much of a problem because the router is plugged into my pc. That is due to me not having a wireless network adapter that works with Linux.

Hope you sort out your problem, Liam
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
10:02 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
tourny_rank said:
Highly but it is hard to do something with it.

not if you no what you are doing
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
10:03 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
spin_doctor said:
Don't give out anything to anyone. Someone managed to get access to my bank account, no idea how, and they spent £800 of my money in fraudulent transactions. Keep everything you got as safe as you can and tell no one a thing.

people can track you without asking you things its just if you no how to
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:17 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
_9balljay_ said:
tourny_rank said:
Highly but it is hard to do something with it.

not if you no what you are doing

It still would be pretty hard

If you know what you are doing I'll happily give you my IP address to prove a point. Don't you think there would be more people without any access to any of their online accounts that was the case? It is extremely easy to find somebodies IP address. Like I said before, I have a profile on a website which can track:

1) The IP address of the visitor on my profile
2) The website they came from to find my profile
3) Where their ISP is based

So I don't see how almost everybody on the internet is fine and safe if what you are saying is true *confused smiley*

tourny_rank
tourny_rank
10:18 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Sorry wrong account, I am Guitar_solo
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
11:59 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
yes i no who you are, but i wouldnt give it out to the wrong person trust me
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:05 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
An IP Adress is something you might wanna keep to yourself...just like your bank details.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:58 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Okay to clear this up...

a) If an advanced user wanted to find out your I.P address then its a fairly simple process

b) Dont advertise it, if such a user has such details then you may be prone to attacks, however, for such purposes as sm_rat stated, try to send it in a private message and only to a trusted recipient.

c) I advise on the internet to not display too much about yourself or get on the wrong side of someone, this is equivalent to not flashing cash when walking around a city centre. Its just asking for trouble.

Overall, i wouldnt get too worked up over it

Edited at 01:37 Sun 21/10/07 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:31 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
a) b) d) lol
What ever happened to 'C'
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:37 Sat 20 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
Dont know what your talking about
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:50 Sun 21 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
The only thing i could do with it if i was a complete twit is add it to a spammers list, then some sites wouldn't let you register with them..
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
19:16 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
i think a lot more then that could be done stupot
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:26 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
yes alot more can be done than that and i didnt have to tell them my ip address! good job it was a friend!
_9balljay_
_9balljay_
19:28 Mon 22 Oct 07 (BST)  [Link]  
the_goonies said:
yes alot more can be done than that and i didnt have to tell them my ip address! good job it was a friend!

tell who???
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Dangers of giving out an IP address...?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.