Computer broke...

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:33 Thu 1 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Help!

My computer totally shut down and broke.

I was on funkypool last night when all of a sudden everything stopped responding and my computer shut down. When I turn it on, all that comes up is a blank screen saying that windows did not start successfully and could be due to a recent software or hardware change. Then it asks how I want to set up my next configeration but no matter what I click it computer won't start

Well my computers working again, I had to do a full system restore or somethng along them lines.

Only problem now is I've lost everthing. 3 assignments due in when I return to college. Any idea how to get my files back? I didn't run any kind of back up, or not that I'm aware of.

PLEASE HELP!
spinner
spinner
Admin
11:36 Thu 1 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Okies here we go!

Firstly, if it was a windows system restore that ran and fixed things, the files may have been moved, but will not be deleted.

If it was one of those restore disks, thats not so good, as it will have basically reformatted your hard drive and put things back the way they were when you bought the machine.

Most important thing in that case is to do as little as possible. Your files may well still be there but risk being overwritten at any time.

I use filerecover on any machines i get with this kind of problem. Its biggest advantage is you can run it from a USB drive (or CD) so you dont have to install anything more on the HD (and potentially overwrite files).

You can download filerecover from pctools :

http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/

Always remember if you can to recover files to a different volume to that they were stored on if possible.

I have to be honest though, it will be largely down to luck if you're files are untouched.

Good luck m8.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:42 Thu 1 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
So if I download this it'll look for my files for me?

Remember I'm a tech tard.......

Thanks for you help Spinner, that beer will be bought one day.......
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:24 Thu 1 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
yes it will scan your disk and look for deleted files.

(when files are deleted, it is only the reference to them that is removed. The file stays there untill the space is needed by something else and it is overwritten. If you're lucky, they will still be there.)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:03 Thu 1 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thanks for your help!
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Computer broke...

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.