virtual memory

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

madmiketyson
madmiketyson
12:20 Mon 19 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
can anyone tell me how to increase my virtual memory and what effects this could have/cause

nice 1
madmiketyson
madmiketyson
12:23 Mon 19 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
http://www.funkypool.com/viewTopic.do?topicid=11108

i just read that after a quick search by the way.

before anyone posts the link

i mainly want to know why i have run out of it as i dont really have more than 2 things open at once.
on startup of my computer i exit msn, mcafee and google updater so nothing is runnin at the bottom.
that usually means im on either fm08, internet explorer or utorrent but never more than 2 of those

so that leaves avg running also...

i noticed on the other thread that spinner said leave it alone unless you know what ya doing but as it keeps closing my computer down and bringing up a blue screen with a noisy alarm thing i guess i gotta do something

Edited at 18:25 Mon 19/11/07 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:39 Mon 19 Nov 07 (GMT)  [Link]  
Okay, basically even though you dont have any programs visibly open there are always programs running in the background.

I agree with spinner when he says that if you dont know what your doing there is no point in attempting to alter anything like msconfig (basically controlling what programs start-up when you turn on your computer).

An easier option even if there is a cost is to upgrade your RAM. To find out about your current RAM please follow this link and click "Start My Scan":

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Post back with the results.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:38 Wed 26 Mar 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
I've checked my virtual memory settings and the minimum i have is 190 and the maximum is 190. Now it says underneath the box were i put the figures in - recommended 190.

But i still get the message quite often - 'your system is low on virtual memory', any idea why?
spinner
spinner
Admin
11:21 Fri 28 Mar 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Virtual memory isn't really so much to do with how many programs you have running, but what they are doing (and how well written they are)

Since you have a handle on whats loading up (i would uninstall mcafee completely if you have AVG, to avoid conflicts, asuming both are antivirus) then i dont think that should be a problem.

Firstly, how much memory do you actually have?

Windows XP can run with only 128Mb, but really needs at least 256, however things like FM and even IE (if you're using flash/jva enabled pages) can be memory hungry.

However, upgrading is neither cheap nor quick, so :

Defrag your hard disk. Many people go way over the score with this, but virtual memory roblems are one of the rarer area's it can do some real good.

Make sure there is plenty of free space (at least a couple of Gb).

Clear out any temporary files you may have. (www.ccleaner.com - excellent utility for this)

See if that helps
madmiketyson
madmiketyson
12:15 Fri 28 Mar 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
My question was from november dave i bought a new computer since then- £500 from pc world and it doesnt work properly....

Iv been having phone conversations with them since january and they still refuse to send an engineer out.....BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS! Not me! Them....surely they should do something about this-
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

virtual memory

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.