Media Centres - Media Portal

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

spinner
spinner
Admin
17:50 Fri 11 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I've almost completed putting together a custom PC to mainly run as a file server/media centre for the livingroom, and let me play the odd game of pool while the better half is on the main computer.

I'm using a slightly modified MediaPortal setup. Just wondering if anyone else uses it here, or has any experiences to share of similar setups.

I understand there is an excellent media centre interface avaliable for the xbox 360..
spinner
spinner
Admin
21:43 Mon 14 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Well, seems not many are interested! This is a screenshot of my "DVD Library"

I'm sure someone out there must be as into films and music as i am!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7136/movies1ma6.jpg
sm_rat
sm_rat
04:25 Tue 15 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes Spinner,

If no one has replied because of the same reason as me, its for this: I dont have a clue what your on about!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:21 Tue 15 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Lol right there with you sm_rat, though is that slightly the same as XP Media Centre? Yes I have no clue but it looks similar.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:35 Tue 15 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
i think 50 cent had something like tht on cribs (don't ask y i was watching 50 cent but i changed the channel after the first half)

is it like a thing tht saves all ur movies onto an then you can go back to them whenever?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:20 Tue 15 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
you need to get back to us spinner !

and explain what you mean in an easier term for us people lol.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:05 Tue 15 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Basically, spinner has built himself a computer and wants to use it for videos etc... the media centre is a program which is an all in one package which runs videos, displays photos and play music.

MediaPortal is the type of media centre spinner has installed and he wanted feedback if anyone had used it or any similar programs.

hope that helps

I've only really used windows media centre which as far as i'm aware is only available bundled with vista.
sm_rat
sm_rat
04:15 Wed 16 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Dont computers run videos anyway?

Why do you need a special one?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:24 Wed 16 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:

I've only really used windows media centre which as far as i'm aware is only available bundled with vista.

I have windows media centre on XP
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:31 Wed 16 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes there was an XP Media Centre edition released on 2005.

Media Portal is a free alternative that can run on any operating system.

Probably the best way to describe it is like Sky+ (Or TiVO if you're from overseas) but it covers Movies, TV, and Pictures all stored on hard disc and accessable to watch on your TV (or listen on stereo) Internet radio stations, live webcam feeds, weather sattalite info etc.

All controlled either by remote control or a bluetooth phone (useful for garden parties as it's wireless rather than infra-red)

Being connected to the net too meand that you're just a press of a button from more information about each title, from IMDB etc.

Media Portal can also run MAME, so all the great retro games are just a click away!

If you have the full version of Nero (V.7 or later) it is has Nero Home, which is a limited media centre app)

sm_rat said:
Dont computers run videos anyway?

Why do you need a special one?

In this case it's dedicated because its always there both to play and record stuff. Can be controlled remotely (in case you forget to set a timer) and it acts as a network file server too.

As long as you have decent graphics and sound cards, a media centre doesn't have to be very powerful, so its a nice use for an old PC.

And, of course, you're never too old for new toys!

Edited at 19:34 Wed 16/04/08 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:46 Wed 16 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Spinner, you actually created that DVD interface?
If so, what did you use?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:31 Wed 16 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
sorry nothing to do with interfaces!

but i seen you had cloverfield on there!
how do you download films on to your computer?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:04 Thu 17 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
da_chump said:
sorry nothing to do with interfaces!

but i seen you had cloverfield on there!
how do you download films on to your computer?

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/ too much to explain so heres a link to help you on your way
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:47 Thu 17 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
cheers mate
spinner
spinner
Admin
15:31 Thu 17 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
mr_mcquiston said:
Spinner, you actually created that DVD interface?
If so, what did you use?

No, i didnt create it, but i modified it a bit to suit myself. That may be the problem, i can't see myself ever stop tweaking it!

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ for more info.

There are plenty of levels it can be customised to, so if you simply want a well organised "jukebox" for your mp3's, that you can control with your bluetooth mobile, then use it for that.

This is whats keeping me amused just now :

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/410/emulatorsshotiz4.jpg

Edited at 20:44 Thu 17/04/08 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:55 Thu 17 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I have used Media Portal alot of times for the media center computer we have downstairs on the plasma tv and it is very good i rate it better than the actual microsoft media center.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Media Centres - Media Portal

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.