New PC/Monitor Help!

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

stueyy
stueyy
14:11 Sun 20 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Right, i just bought a new computer with a monitor.. the PC is HP Pavilion Slimline 3230, and the monitor is made by 'viewpoint'. I followed the instructions to plug everything in and all was fine until the last step. It told me to switch it on and wait for up to an hour, and not to turn off the system during this time. So i waited well over an hour and the monitor just kept saying 'no signal'. I have been repeating this after following troubleshooting advice to unplug and plug back in, but after half an hour or so the system just sleeps..

So i tried to connect the monitor to my old Desktop and it worked, so i know there's no problem with the monitor itself.. Not sure what the problem could be, dunno if anyone else has an idea?

If not it's back to the shop...
spinner
spinner
Admin
11:54 Mon 21 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Is there a graphics card in the computer?

One of the most common reasons for this is simply connecting the monitor to the wrong socket (as almost all motherboards now have built-in video)

I've done it more times that i care to remember!

It could also be a slightly loose gfx card, but since its new, best take it back to the shop since opening the case to check will usually invalidate your warranty.
stueyy
stueyy
16:19 Mon 21 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Took it back to the shops today hehe, they gave me this adaptor cable which goes into a different socket, not sure why they didn't give me this with the computer as apparently all new HP's need them! =S But yeah i've got the monitor connected.

Big problem now though, tried running my Virgin Media broadband startup disc (it's an NTL as when i joint them it was NTL lol) and also tried a friend's virgin media disc, it started telling me that my computer doesn't have an ethernet card!! So many problems i don't even know what one is??

Edited at 21:20 Mon 21/04/08 (BST)
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:59 Mon 21 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Chances are you have an onboard Ethernet card. (better known as a LAN card - put simply, a network socket!

If its an onboard one (socket usually to the right of the USB sockets on the back of the computer) there is a chance it hasnt been enabled by default.

You will need to go into the bios (press delete/F2/F10 or whatever it says to enter setup when the computer starts)

Look for something like "Onboard peripherals" and make sure LAN is enabled.
stueyy
stueyy
17:03 Mon 21 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Right I think i've sorted it! Yay lol..

I was reading some things the disc threw up at me lol and it said something about another lead which needs to be connected via usb, and funnily enough the right lead was sat right beside me! Im not sure whether that solution matches to yours? lol but I'm writing to you over the connection now, so I'm guessing it's all good anyways!!

Thanks for the help spinner
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

New PC/Monitor Help!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.