Can't Open New Tabs

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:40 Mon 5 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I've got I.E 7 but I can't open up a new tab without it not responding. If I click on new tab before the homepage comes up then I can have more than one, but I cannot open any more after the homepage is up.

Please help
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:29 Mon 5 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
have u only just download I.E 7??? if i was you i would uninstall it and then reinstall the browser or do a restore point to the last time it was working.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:03 Mon 5 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Nope, I've had I.E 7 for months, and it's only just stopped working, and I've tried the restore point-that doesn't work. Even tried a restore point from last month, still no good, even though it only stopped working on Sat.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:41 Mon 5 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
I recommend uninstalling IE7 completely (add, remove programs in the control panel) and then download another copy.

Its really easy to do
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:06 Wed 7 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:
I recommend uninstalling IE7 completely (add, remove programs in the control panel) and then download another copy.

When I go to do that, all that comes up is 'These programs all depend on IE 7, if you uninstall the program then these programs may not work' A list of about 20 programs come up, would i need to reinstall all them to make them work, or would they continue once IE7 has been reinstalled?
spinner
spinner
Admin
18:11 Wed 7 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Just noticed this.

This problem is usually caused by some add-on (toolbars etc) interrupting the tab function.

Try starting IE without add-ons from the start menu to see if it works that way.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

If that works, get rid of any toolbars recently installed (from add/remove programs, simply diabling them usually wont work)
misterchyme
misterchyme
20:48 Wed 7 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Isnt removing IE a big no no? or is there a way to remove it safely without messing up your system files?
spinner
spinner
Admin
13:41 Thu 8 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
That was only the case for the early editions of Windows 98. IE can be uninstalled just like any other program.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:14 Thu 8 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
This problem is usually caused by some add-on (toolbars etc) interrupting the tab function.Try starting IE without add-ons from the start menu to see if it works that way.

I've tried that, no good.
spinner
spinner
Admin
16:44 Thu 8 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
In that case the best option is definitely to remove, reboot, and re-istall from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:55 Sun 11 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Im getting a problem similar to this. Everytime i open a new tab the internet page just goes blank and says not responding at the top. So i click the 'X' to exit page and after a while the internet closes. After this comes up a send report or dont send. Im not sure what has caused this since it has only started doing it recently. I have also tried removing IE7 then reinstalling and rebooting. Any ideas? *looks at spinner in hope*
janmb
janmb
18:29 Sun 11 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
That was only the case for the early editions of Windows 98. IE can be uninstalled just like any other program.

Not entirely true. You can unselect it as the default browser and even apparently even uninstall it, but windows does in fact not uninstall it at all....

Run -> iexplore and voila! It's there!

So the only way to completely clean and reinstall IE is to reinstall windows. I'm sure either one isn't necessary for this tho.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:04 Wed 14 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Can i point out if she uninstalls IE then reboots how can she access the URL to download the new copy?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:50 Thu 15 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:
Can i point out if she uninstalls IE then reboots how can she access the URL to download the new copy?

Glad I saw that before I tried it, would saving the link work, then using that to download it, or wouldn't that work?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:52 Thu 15 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:

Lol she is so lucky that she saw this post lol.

well done dark_cloud
spinner
spinner
Admin
14:21 Thu 15 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
dark_cloud said:

Because IE6 is integrated into XP, and will still be there if IE7 (as is being discussed here) is uninstalled.

Edited at 19:22 Thu 15/05/08 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:53 Fri 16 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
Because IE6 is integrated into XP, and will still be there if IE7 (as is being discussed here) is uninstalled.

Edited at 19:22 Thu 15/05/08 (BST)

Will IE6 still be on, even though IE7 was the computers default browser, as IE7 is the only one installed? (As far as I know anyway)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:36 Fri 16 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
So are you still having trouble witht tabs Summer?
spinner
spinner
Admin
17:36 Fri 16 May 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes it will be, dont worry

If you are in any way unsure, simply install firefox before uninstalling to ensure you have a browser there to fall back on.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Can't Open New Tabs

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.