Jailbreak iSO4 ipod/iphone

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.

flapjack
flapjack
Admin
04:14 Sun 27 Jun 10 (BST)  [Link]  
im not sure if im allowed to post this here but its worth a shot.

I have just updated my Ipod Touch 2g MC model from 3.1.3 to 4.0 firmware.

before the software update my ipod was jailbroken, and i was just wondering if there was any way to jailbreak the iSO 4 firmware?

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:42 Sun 27 Jun 10 (BST)  [Link]  
According to some websites you can use a program called Redsn0w to do this, but then other websites say it's too early for that yet.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
09:47 Sun 27 Jun 10 (BST)  [Link]  
iSO4 is rubbish anyway, and i go to this site http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

and download an older version, and apple wont accept it or something?
spinner
spinner
Admin
03:20 Mon 28 Jun 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Just a reminder that posting links to illegal software can result in account suspension.

Discuss if you like, but remember the rules.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
11:17 Wed 30 Jun 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Thats the bit i couldnt remember, thanks spinner :D
janmb
janmb
14:40 Thu 1 Jul 10 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
Just a reminder that posting links to illegal software can result in account suspension.

Discuss if you like, but remember the rules.

For clarity on this particular topic it ought to be pointed out that jail-breaking an iPhone is not in any way illegal, nor is the software used to do it.

It does however void the warranty, which is not to be confused with breaking any law.
spinner
spinner
Admin
08:59 Tue 6 Jul 10 (BST)  [Link]  
That would be the common sense viewpoint, but as usual, Apple bear to differ and are claiming it is illegal.

So, as there has still been no ruling on the excemption applied for by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, "Jailbreaking" any Apple product is an offence under the DMCA.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
18:56 Tue 10 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
i have been reading through some websites on the internet and found this about it so far....

Jailbreaking your iDevice is legal, this is because when you buy your device, it becomes your property, and apple have no say over what you can and cant do with it.

Apple are claiming that jailbreaking your iDevice is illegal. But the law stands as this: Under fair use laws, you are allowed to modify and/or copy most copyrighted material SO LONG AS you do not distribute it.

So, you are actually allowed to 'Jailbreak' your iDevice, just not distribute it once you have finished with it.
spinner
spinner
Admin
02:45 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Yes you are!

Thankfully, the courts ruled against Apple earlier this month so "Jailbreaking" and the distribution of apps which require this is now perfectly legal.

Feel free to discuss and link away

Edit - note that Apple now claim that attempts to install official apps, upgrades or possibly just using appstore or itunes may lead to your iPhone/iTouch being "bricked".

Edited at 07:50 Wed 11/08/10 (BST)
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
04:31 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Has anyone got a jailbroken iDevice?

I got a jailbroken iPhone 3G 16gb, and if it wasnt jailbroken, i dont think that id like it as much
janmb
janmb
11:06 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
spinner said:
That would be the common sense viewpoint, but as usual, Apple bear to differ and are claiming it is illegal.

So, as there has still been no ruling on the excemption applied for by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, "Jailbreaking" any Apple product is an offence under the DMCA.

Well, it is like this: Things legal until a LAW says otherwise.

Not the other way around.

And fortunately for us all, it is not within a private company's authority to define laws.

And third, and most importantly for most users on this site, including the site itself, the DMCA applies within the US and ONLY within the US.

The fact that US authorities and/or companies may think otherwise is their own problem and simply as far from the truth as you could get.
janmb
janmb
11:12 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
flapjack said:
Has anyone got a jailbroken iDevice?

I have a jailbroken, good old version 1 iPhone.

Considering buying iPhone 4 as soon as:
- all problems are solved, including the security holes currently used by jailbreaking software
- the phone is STILL jailbreakable.

I would not recommend anyone ever to buy an iDecive without jailbreaking it.... You don't want a product where a single, fanatic person decides what software you may and may not install and use.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:49 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Well, i've just bought an iPhone 4. And I will not be jailbreaking it as...

A. I have not the foggiest what it means.

B. Jailbreak is a scary word.

C. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to scary words.

janmb
janmb
15:14 Wed 11 Aug 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Jailbreak simply means to break free of the limitations Apple defines as to what access you have to your own product.

In short, you can install whatever software you like.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:39 Thu 9 Sep 10 (BST)  [Link]  
There is now also software available to jailbreak a playstation 3, enabling you to then download games and play them instead of going out and spending £30-£40 a game.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Jailbreak iSO4 ipod/iphone

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Technology chat.
Back to Forum List.