Goodbye Portsmouth.

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages:
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:02 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Portsmouth set to be broken down and liquidated. It's a shame to see a great club erased from history
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:05 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
It was nice knowing you apples, I didn't want to make this topic as it will upset the creator of Funkypool
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:06 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
He'll have to live with it , i did put a crying face!!
unknown_id
unknown_id
01:33 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
they're doing what their docks have done for the past few years, sink!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:51 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Lmao!
crazzymadman
crazzymadman
Admin
02:02 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Just another sad day for sport, I wonder if Nick will sell funkypool to me and support Portsmouth

I wish all the bigger clubs would support this and stop clubs folding. That or the FA

We pay England managers 6 million a year and what do we get from them!

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:21 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
crazzymadman said:
Just another sad day for sport, I wonder if Nick will sell funkypool to me and support Portsmouth

I wish all the bigger clubs would support this and stop clubs folding. That or the FA

We pay England managers 6 million a year and what do we get from them!

dont agree with this, why should bigger clubs help out clubs who were poorly run, most of the bigger clubs are struggling for money so why make themselves worse by helping out portsmouth?
unknown_id
unknown_id
16:31 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
personally just get rid of money all together money is what spoils the game by far - i'd rather see a county game then a premier game - county is more about football and skill - premier is more about diving and getting them sent off after argueing if it was a goal or not.

Edited by forum moderator mr_mcquiston, at 23:00 Tue 26/10/10 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:48 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
harry redknapps fault he should hold his head in shame....
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:43 Sat 23 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
I think not. It's not the managers fault the clubs poorly run and has rubbish investors!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:38 Wed 27 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
English football is the envy of many other sporting leagues around the world.

In Australia, there is not nearly as much money in our sports due to our lower populations and our variety of sports. We find it quite rude that Wayne Rooney can earn $250 000 (aussie dollars) a week!

We have a thing here in Australia called a salary cap - all clubs are allotted the same amount of money to pay players, and no club can pay players more then the salary cap permits.

With 16 clubs in Australian Football - in a space of eight years, 14 of the 16 clubs made the Preliminary Final (known as Semi final in England)! You guys have had the same four or five clubs at the top of the premier league table for the last who knows how many years.

So just to weigh in on this argument, there is no reason why English football can be fairer for all. Its a great spectical to see which teams go up and down in the Aussie Rules and Rugby League competitions here in Australia.

And because English football has money to roll around in, it can be an even greater spectical each year - you can have 5 ot 6 clubs fighting out for the league title with two or three match days remaining!

You cant help those who dont know how to run a club - but they just need to be fired by the FA.

I know it will probably never happen, but just imagine
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:26 Wed 27 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
the scottish highland division 4 section z also has 5/6 clubs fighting at the end of the season - doesnt make it fun to watch though......

what you have to remember fumps - because you specifically pointed out England rather than any other country - is the top teams in England are not only competing to win the premier league but also the champions league

higher salaries in England are paid to stop players choosing spanish, german, italian teams etc etc

if australia was part of europe and competing in the same competitions you would find there would be no salary cap if they wanted to actually compete
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
15:46 Wed 27 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
^ and over the last 5 years or so there has usually been 2 or 3 english clubs in the semi finals with a few runners up and a few winners

even though they might not have been the richest clubs in the competition
joker86
joker86
16:13 Wed 27 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
I maybe wrong here, but wasn't Macclesfield Town close to liquidation? But...... Chelsea held a match against them or another team to donate money to the club.

I'm sure that happend lol.

If so why has no club done this for Portsmouth?

I maybe right thinking recently there is barely a club NOT in debt? lol
rubber_duck
rubber_duck
17:24 Wed 27 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
It happened to Accrington, they ended up playing Blackburn and a few other clubs around the north west to earn more money.
unknown_id
unknown_id
18:11 Thu 28 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
seems that they have avoided it for now. not sure how much longer they can continue.

Also blackburn have been taking over by an indian butching company or something (saw it in papers and forgot)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:31 Thu 28 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
I have to agree with Flumps about a salary cap, it's ridiculous how much players are being paid. Footballers don't know how to live their lives, they are given everything.

They speed, crash cars and such and get away with it. Joey Barton even decked another player and stubbed a cigarette in a team mates eye and got away with it.

Benoit Assou-Ekoto has admitted he only plays football for the money and not the love of the game. Anyone remember England's finest moments in the 60s and late 70s/80s? Players played for the love of the game, NOT money.

Take the money out, get young English players coming through the ranks, England national team would benefit with more young players coming in instead of English teams getting these foreign superstars in.

I for one, would love a salary/wage cap in the English Premier League, get rid of the greedy players and bring in players who play for the love of the game and I am sure over time, England will be a force at all levels
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:18 Thu 28 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
I agree with Warney and flumps, it is absolutely ridonkulous.

I am pretty sure anyone on here would play for the team they love for no money never mind hundreds of thousands a week. Flush all the greedy players out and you will have a great league.

Example, I am sure 5 years ago the like of Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere and many other up and coming stars of the premier league would have loved the prospect of playing at their boyhood club and would have done it for nothing, or maybe very low amounts of money. Because in my opininon to do something fun and that you love you are rewarded by the feeling you get doing it, the happiness the buzz, not the money you receive.

It is ridiculous that Most players get paid more than people who actually deserve the money, for example... Doctors, Police officers, Surgeons.

Sorry if I got a bit carried away.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:28 Fri 29 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Don't get me wrong - I think the English League should do its best to keep the Rooney's, Berbatov's, Terry's and Fabregas' in the league - they are the ones who make the English Premier League the most watched soccer league around the world.

But if I was the head of the FA, I would have a long term plan to say that you need to cut out the wasted amounts of spendings on players. Even if you still have a salary cap that gives every single player on a club's roster up to $2.5 million dollars a year, no player will have to take extravigant cuts in their style of living - if at all.

And then you have those lesser players who don't quite deserve 2.5 million a year - so that still allows Manchester United keep Wayne Rooney...although he would be spewing that he doesnt make $96 000 000 a year (based off $800 000 a month that ive been hearing).

I could only dream of seeing that kind of money in the whole of the region where I live, let alone what one person makes in one year for scoring a few goals.

Salary cap works...hard to introduce over there due to the current system. But give clubs a 20 year notice and you will be right
mr_pink_eyes
mr_pink_eyes
18:55 Fri 29 Oct 10 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah has got out of hand but the Premier League wouldn't impose salary caps because alot of top stars will just go to europe and earn the money and would lessen the league's world wide audience so therefore income(a good example is the bundesliga, the national team has certainly benifited but the teams and league isn't as strong now as it used to be), the only solution I could think of is for UEFA to impose a europe wide salary cap that would even the playing field, but can't see UEFA doing it
Pages:
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Goodbye Portsmouth.

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.