World Cup 2010 (Football/Soccer)

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 11617
_niall_
_niall_
17:39 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
If you can't see how it is different to what Henry did, you need both your eyes and head checked. Not gonna bother getting into this, that was never a penalty, but how anyone can suggest we cheated there is beyond me, it wasn't as though one of our players handballed it, and we got a penalty. It's so much easier for someone who is not Irish and has no interest in how well we do to be critical and talk nonsense.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:43 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
Easy for an Irishman to be biased in Ireland's favour as well. But what I am getting at is that the referee made an error in both situations with which both teams profitted from. Just because people forget about Georgia because they are a "little nation" and that, means no one goes on about it.

What I am getting at is: Ireland scored a goal against Georgia which never should have been

France scored a goal against Ireland which should never have been. So why should one be a replay and the other not?

Thing is, you play to the whistle, Ireland should have beaten France long before the controversy with chances for Duff and Keane
_niall_
_niall_
17:48 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
Why would you replay a game that has absolutely no significance whatsoever though? There's a monumental difference between both the 2 games and the 2 decisions, 1 cost a team a fair crack at going to the World Cup, the other meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Ireland had 2 very legitimate penalty claims turned down in that game against Georgia too, so justice was served in that game in my opinion. It's not just because I'm Irish that I've said what I've said, the vast majority of the sporting world is in agreement. Anyway I don't wanna keep dwelling on this, roll on the World Cup...looking forward to supporting whoever plays England and France
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:52 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
What's up with England, you had most of England supporting you. I am looking at the match in some Irishman's eyes, called Roy Keane :P

I'm scared that some of us English were happy that Scotland won in the rugby today :|
_niall_
_niall_
17:55 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
I was joking, I'd like to see England do well...make the final, then lose to an extra time goal scored by Didier Drogba's hand

Roy Keane's an idiot, who hates Ireland and Irish football, why his opinion was even asked I'll never know.

That was the worst game of rugby I have ever seen lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:00 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
Everyone knows we'll either lose to Portugal or Germany on penalties.

Or we'll be beating France 1-0 after 90 minutes, but at full time, lose 2-1
anonymous
anonymous
18:15 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
warney12 said:
"If it had been Robbie Keane in Henry's position would he have stopped and admit a handball to the ref after he just set up a goal to send his team to the world cup finals??

Its easy to take the moral highground when your the effected party, but the truth of the matter is it is the ref and linesman who are at fault here, not Henry. Anyone who plays football knows that you play to the whistle as the ref has the final say on any matter.

Anyone who turns on Henry in this situation is an idiot. Henry is always honest and a genuine role model in the game today. It was a handball and it should not have counted but it's not Henry's fault the ref allowed it.

We shouldn't fall into believing that just because it's a bigger nation, qualifying doesn't mean as much to them."

I'll just quote someone from a page on the matter of a person who I agree with. Problem with football is that people will bend the rules to win matches and if the officials miss it, then it's their fault. Truth is some refs do back the top teams, look at the domestic league with teams like Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, how many decisions do they get in their favour in comparison to teams like Burnley, Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

bout time someone talked some sense, brilliant posts mate, totally agree with you, btw I did want Ireland to win the game, just don't see how its different to day in day out situations in football
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
19:06 Sat 21 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
At the time, what did the media say about that penalty Ireland got against Ireland? Not making a point or anything; just asking.
anonymous
anonymous
01:13 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
clooneman said:
At the time, what did the media say about that penalty Ireland got against Ireland? Not making a point or anything; just asking.

Ireland against Ireland? how can that happen
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
05:29 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
must've been on after Ireland Vs France?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:03 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
Didn't hear much on that to be honest Clooney, but when it happens against a lesser nation like Georgia, not much fuss is made about it even if it does affect the result of the match.

Similar to if say in a match between Walsall and Leyton Orient and one team had a very dodgy goal given from a handball or a penalty which never was, you wouldn't hear about it, even if it did affect the result.

If that incident happened in Manchester United v Chelsea, then the media would make sure you heard about it
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:40 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
mhmm. so true
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
12:42 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
I've researched it.

Then, in the 73rd minute, Finnish ref Jouni Hyytia threw out a lifeline.

Keane contested a hopeful punt forward amid a posse of Georgian defenders, but lost out and the ball broke to Doyle who was challenged outside the area. To the crowd's surprise, Hyytia pointed to the spot and subsequently it appeared as though he had spotted a handball from Georgian right full Ucha Lobjanidze.

The call was highly dubious and the Georgian protests were understandably lengthy. Admirably, the Irish skipper kept his cool amid the din and finished stylishly. And Croker was alive.

"I didn't see anything in it," said Cuper afterwards. "I don't know if we lost three points because of the penalty, but we definitely lost one. We were very angry after the penalty and it affected us."

PENALTY!

72 mins: This is quite fun: the Georgians have no idea why a penalty has been awarded and nor does anyone else. Keane tried to control a long ball and failed and it was cleared and, um, the ref pointed to the spot! A startling decision. As I said in the preamble, it looks like luck is on our side in this campaign.

GOAL! Ireland 1-1 Georgia (Keane, pen, 73')

(more...)
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
12:43 Sun 22 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
The ball was then cleared but only as far as Kevin Doyle as it deflected off the Waterford man and into the path of Ucha Lobjanidze. The referee then gave a shrill blast of his whistle for what appeared to be an offside by Keane.

Instead to everyones surprise, Hyytia pointed to the penalty spot and deemed Lobjanidze to have handled the ball. Replays showed that Keane had handled the ball in the lead-up to this decision and that Keane was also offside as play continued. However, most surprising it also showed that the Georgian's hand had gone nowhere near the football which had hit him if anywhere on his collarbone.

Regardless of what the referee had thought he had seen, Keane did not need to be asked twice and immediately set the ball down on the penalty spot. The Spurs and Irish captain dispatched it with ease and the scores were level.

There ya go, 3 out of 3 say "What the Dicckens?!" We got immensely lucky there. Roy Keane has a point. But it's obviously anti-FAI sentiment rearing his head by saying the players and the fans deserve a reply but the FAI don't, or whatever exactly it was.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:15 Mon 23 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
thank you cloone
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:00 Mon 23 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
_niall_
_niall_
08:51 Mon 30 Nov 09 (GMT)  [Link]  
I wish the papers would stop giving us false hope about going to the World Cup
Deleted User