tinie
tinie
02:29 Fri 25 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
A league sounds fun
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
17:34 Sun 27 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
The deadline has passed! However I've been away from the internet myself without notice. Final extension: Wednesday.
eemad
eemad
02:59 Tue 29 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Straight Pool Friendly - eemad (1) 38-18 (0) techno
eemad
eemad
12:16 Tue 29 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
How does this work now then? As I have played 1 more game than dunkyfunk, or doesn't that make any difference?
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
20:59 Tue 29 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Good stuff guys

If I cen remember it right, there's only three of us left, so anyone who hasn't played each other will play. HOWEVER, if that means that perhaps one player will have played two more games than the final remaining player, then it'll be a different fixture. Leave it with me...

Right:

Standings
No-one is unbeaten
---------------------------
P5 W4 L1 clooneman
P6 W5 L1 eemad
P5 W4 L1 dunkyfunk
=================
P6 W4 L2 w_hoolahan
P6 W4 L2 techno
Everyone else is out.

Right, and here's my take on it. Of the three possible fixtures, clooneman vs dunkyfunk has already happened. So that would be a no-no in theory, leaving only eemad vs clooneman and eemad vs dunkyfunk. HOWEVER, there's the risk after one of these games that if eemad wins, then there will be a player with a P7 W6 record (eemad) playing one with a P5 W4 record, and should that player win, then the winner of the competition would have played and won fewer games (P6 W5) than the beaten finalist (eemad, P7 W6), and that is something I have always wished to avoid. So, then, for the second time in the tournament, we have dunkyfunk and I in battle, only this time trying to stay in the competition and play eemad for the title. Also, it guarantees that the final match will be between players of equal records.

Someone look over that and see if I have the logic right.

Eighth round (semi-final round)
dunkyfunk vs clooneman
eemad BYE

Deadline: Next Wednesday. Goodluck dunkyfunk!

Edited at 19:09 Tue 29/11/11 (GMT)
eemad
eemad
22:08 Tue 29 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Oh crap I forgot you was in it

Didn't need that whole essay on it, but basically, yes, you two have to play as you both have played 1 less than me. Whoever wins will have the same record as me, and will be a 1 frame shootout. Worked out quite well if you ask me (apart from you two have played each other twice now)
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
00:06 Wed 30 Nov 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ya, I know... If I had seen it coming then I might have planned the previous round a bit differently, but it was always going to be difficult. Techno, dunkyfunk and I had all played each other, so if had given a bye to either of the other two players (w_hoolahan and you), then there would have been a guaranteed repeat fixture. Any way the draw went otherwise, there was always a chance that there would be dunkyfunk on 5 wins and sone opponent he already played on 5, and someone else on 6. But "Worked out quite well if you ask me" - thanks
eemad
eemad
00:11 Fri 2 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
I say it worked out very well indeed!

To be honest I would say it'd be hard not to have a repeat fixture, but at the latter stages there's always a bigger chance of it happening. In this case it does indeed work out perfectly.
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
20:09 Fri 2 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Here's how I plan to rank players for the next competition, a ladder-type thing with one player on the top rung/step/level and two players on each of the ones below it, and a game every week where each player will be trying to either go up a level, or to prevent going down a level. Players on adjacent levels play each other. If the higher player wins, they stay where they are. If the lower player wins, the two swap places. This may change according to feedback.

Each of the things below is a tiebreaker, so if two or more players are inseperable on that thing, it goes to the next tiebreaker, etc. This might all change.

1. Winner of this double elimination straight pool tournament
2. Most wins
3. Most games played
A player who has a record of W3 P2 L2 who did not play a game and got penalised with a loss proved less reliable than one whose record is P4 W2, L2 and therefore the P4 player earns the higher ranking.

4 and 5 do not apply if players tied after those three have not played each other.

4. Result(s) between the players
Mostly this will be one game between players, with one possibility of two games. But additionally, there is the risk that A might have beaten B, B might have beaten C, and C might have beaten A, making these players level on this tiebreaker. Imagine then the mess that happens when other players are tied into this. This part therefore requires some tweaking; by comparison, imagine trying to rank the Premier League based on the individual results between teams and not by awarding points for results.

5. Total score in the losing games between the players
This only applies if there are more than one game between players, and there is just one chance of this. This one requires a bit of explanation of both application and logic. A game of straight involves being the first to 35; any score after that is a bonus. If players have played and won the same number of games, they'll have the same number of 35s. The score in the losing games is where players' records will be different.

6. Results between common opponents
If the tied players have played the same other player(s), those results are compared.

7. Total score in the two losing games
If players have not played each other, and they haven't played the same player, then both losing scores in the competition are compared.

8. Total score in all games
Any score after 35 is a bonus, I said above. If all else fails, this will sort them out.

9. Funkypool ranking

This looks and sounds like a pedantic mess; I doubt it will get as far as the 9th tiebreaker though...!
eemad
eemad
20:12 Fri 2 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
10. eemad decides

Speaks for its self

Hurry up and get your game played!
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
20:29 Fri 2 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Ha!

Rankings based on the first three tiebreakers, grouped by current involvement

P6 W5 L1 eemad
P5 W4 L1 clooneman
P5 W4 L1 dunkyfunk
============
P6 W4 L2 w_hoolahan
P6 W4 L2 techno
P5 W3 L2 dgeneratio
P4 W2 L2 tinie
P4 W2 L2 the_only_ego
P4 W2 L2 darren3
P3 W2 L2 long_pot (withdrew voluntarily)
P3 W1 L2 cphaynes
P3 W1 L2 punkpoet
P3 W1 L2 bulldog_oc
P2 W0 L2 eggfriedrice
P2 W0 L2 yetty1969
P2 W0 L2 tony111
P2 W0 L2 cke1982
P2 W0 L2 liam__scfc
P2 W0 L2 cmurphy
P1 W0 L1 stephen (deactivated, gone)
eemad
eemad
20:54 Fri 2 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
By the looks of it I'm guaranteed 2nd spot then I believe?
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
00:09 Sat 3 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
That would be right.

P6 W5 L1 eemad
P5 W4 L1 clooneman
P5 W4 L1 dunkyfunk

Either dunkyfunk or I will end up with 4 games won; we can't both have 5. The losing player of us two will be scrapping with w_hoolahan and techno for 3rd, 4th and 5th places. And lo and behold, I've beaten them both meaning I'm guaranteed at least 3rd.

I've just realised that there won't be a case of two results between a pair of players being used as a tie-breaker, because the winner of me and dunkyfunk will be ahead of the other on the number of games won. D'oh...

Clarification of tiebreaker 6:
6. Results between common opponents
If the tied players have played the same other player(s), those results are compared; the number of wins against those opponents counts first, and if that is level, then total of losing scores against those opponents.

And I've done up the rankings of nearly all the players, which was interesting fun for a nerd like me.
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
04:31 Sat 3 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Result
clooneman 35-30 dunkyfunk

Really could have gone either way. Vgg, ul

Final match
clooneman vs eemad

Good luck!
tinie
tinie
04:32 Sat 3 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
This looks fun and very confusing
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
04:36 Sat 3 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
lol! Naaah, it's not that confusing, that's just the rankings though for the initial state of the competition. Assuming everyone who took part in this takes part in it, you're ranked 8th. I think I'll make a new thread for it and invite everyone who took part in this, although everyone is welcome, but they'll have to start at the bottom.
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
04:47 Sat 3 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
P6 W5 L1 eemad
P6 W5 L1 clooneman
============
P6 W4 L2 dunkyfunk
P6 W4 L2 w_hoolahan
P6 W4 L2 techno
followed by everyone else, as above
eemad
eemad
02:05 Sun 4 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
Had wayyyyyyy to many to drink to right now, but considering it's the ifinal game, wanna make it best of 3? Or d you just want to keep it at one to keep it constant? I'm no fussed either way, it'd jus be fitting for the final "game" to be longer!
clooneman
clooneman
Admin
02:30 Sun 4 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
One game to keep it constant
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:08 Sun 4 Dec 11 (GMT)  [Link]  
i want to watch this game.......
Pages: 11011
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post