Tournament discussion thread

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 123
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:14 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
To be fair zante...the only game types that people can achieve virt on (other than Pete in 9us (I think?) a couple of months ago) are killer and straight. And that's only because the ranking system means that; for instance, in a 4 man killer, depending on the players, you gain 10+ points in a match. And straight, you can beat someone who's 100 ranking points below you and still get 2+ points for it (and that's in a normal game room, not tourny room).

My stats are fairly average, but i've had to work for them to get them their. I'd be happy for a stats reset. If you're that worried about losing them and people not seeing how good you ONCE were, you can always record them on your profile...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:20 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Players ONLY want a total reset to boost their ego and for braggin' rights. IF everyone were reset then that would show up those who either aren't as good as they think they are or a lot down to luck which could jeopardize someone's true skill.

I do not personally see the point in fully resetting everything, records are there as players have worked damn hard to achieve them.

As for 'posting your scores on your profile', I see that as pointless, is that to remind yourself how good you once were? (that's not aimed at you mav just in general). I know you're a very good player.

IF players want a reset then maybe set up a similar site but with extra modifications or just reset those who want it. Or maybe even a separate part of this site could be for Clan members only (CLAN SUITE ETC).
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:40 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Players ONLY want a total reset to boost their ego and for braggin' rights. IF everyone were reset then that would show up those who either aren't as good as they think they are or a lot down to luck which could jeopardize someone's true skill.

I do not personally see the point in fully resetting everything, records are there as players have worked damn hard to achieve them.

As for 'posting your scores on your profile', I see that as pointless, is that to remind yourself how good you once were? (that's not aimed at you mav just in general). I know you're a very good player.

IF players want a reset then maybe set up a similar site but with extra modifications or just reset those who want it. Or maybe even a separate part of this site could be for Clan members only (CLAN SUITE ETC).

I see that final paragraph as a fantastic idea! There's a big divide at the moment between clan players and non-clan players. Would be great if this could be implemented IMO
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
17:53 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The only trouble with making a separate part of the site for clan members only, is that'll alienate the everyday user even more. The idea was to try and get more users to stay. If you reset the stats, you could quite easily implement a history record of everyone's previous stats...whether that be a search method in the rankings area or on that indivduals on profile (how it is now).
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:02 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Only those who aren't part of a clan, may even make them more intrigued and interested in what clan life is like. The minority of players aren't within a clan, so catering for the majority will be good.

Announcements could be broadcast throughout the whole site so EVERYONE is treated the same (ie. the monthly tournaments etc), could even have some match ups clan members vs non clan members just to integrate ALL?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:24 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeah I can see a 'clan suite' could well bring new blood into the world of clans, but there are some that just aren't interested in them and I reckon it'd only alienate them further. We need to keep new and existing users on the site and I think the only way to do this is by making games more readily available (more game rooms) and for the existing members on the site, to be more fiendly and welcoming (myself included).
ab_rfc
ab_rfc
18:25 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Why should clans members get their own part of the site and be seperated from others ?, at the end of the day clan leagues are no different to any other event created by members and run by members in the Pool Events Forum.
Yes the clan leagues are a big part of the site at the moment but its still only an event run by its members, I can't imagine Funkypool wanting to treat clan and non clan members differently by giving clans its own little clubhouse and saying to the others you can only get in that part if they allow you in lol
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:29 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Also, technically the clan members do have their own little suite, in the clan management threads
ab_rfc
ab_rfc
18:35 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Yeah I can see a 'clan suite' could well bring new blood into the world of clans, but there are some that just aren't interested in them and I reckon it'd only alienate them further. We need to keep new and existing users on the site and I think the only way to do this is by making games more readily available (more game rooms) and for the existing members on the site, to be more fiendly and welcoming (myself included).

Totally agree
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:47 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

In my opinion ranks are purely for boasting rights and knowing how good you opponent is, at this point in time most ranks don't show players true skill.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
18:49 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Then they have the option to reset their own stats.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:05 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Then they have the option to reset their own stats.
It's including the people that don't want to reset even though their stats are a true show of that persons skill either!

Also there is people with 750ish rank who are easily meant to be in the 800s
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
19:11 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
@ _maverick_ - It's possible in any type, players don't have the same motivation to get it these days but i've seen it done in all types (excluding Arc). There weren't always virt's in the old system, though there are less now. The amount of rank is different in each game type to try and balance things out. So for straight, more points are on offer because the games take longer (like on snooker compared to pool).

@ krazyash_07 - That isn't true, they have the option to reset and boost their ego now do they not? but they don't, for other reasons. A reset levels the playing field, when the current system was introduced there was no reset of any sort. Which meant ranks were distorted for that system which is never good, and there is no guarantee it would sort itself out like would happen in a reset. The point in wiping the current records are that people worked hard under different systems, but they are treated as the same. If the systems differ in the ability to get ranks/runouts etc. which constitute a leaderboard then they aren't really accurate.

For example, some players who have won 500 tournaments wouldn't have won 100 tournaments in the old system in the same time. Yet to have them above someone who won 300 in the old system suggests they are better when in fact they are not. A reset/seperation would fix it, but it is too late now.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
19:19 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Only those who aren't part of a clan, may even make them more intrigued and interested in what clan life is like. The minority of players aren't within a clan, so catering for the majority will be good.
Announcements could be broadcast throughout the whole site so EVERYONE is treated the same (ie. the monthly tournaments etc), could even have some match ups clan members vs non clan members just to integrate ALL?

Out of the 12,205 active members ( http://www.funkypool.com/help#community_stats ) the majority of them are in clans?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:24 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

Out of the 12,205 active members ( http://www.funkypool.com/help#community_stats ) the majority of them are in clans?

It appears that only those logged on are affiliated within a clan, the country of origin has nothing to do with if in a clan or not? 12k Active members, when is that from? Since records began? Also does that include multiple accounts?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:26 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The old ones were definitely not flawed, they were a much more accurate representation of ability as higher ranks took more time. Pro today gets you into the top 50 whereas in the older days you'd need around 830 just to get to 50th.

Any system where you have players not competing on a level playing field is flawed. Any system that allows you to pick and choose your opponents is flawed.

Now, the primary way to achieve a high place in the ranking table (which is different to simply achieving high scores) is to compete in the same way as everyone else and to participate in tournament matches. Everyone can do that and everyone has the option of whether they want to do that or not.

A ranking table is about, at any given time, there being a hierarchical order of players. The scores that each player has in that table are 100% irrelevant other than as a means of differentiating player's positions in that table.

A high score table, and achieving as high a score as possible by whatever means, is something completely different. As I have said before, until people decide which they want out of the two, then the rest of the discussion is pointless.

Unless I am missing something here, the main issue is the Highest Rankings Tables in some of the game types, much of which were achieved under a completely different system. Surely you just archive those as of now and then reset them. You also reset the Maximums on each player's profile to their current score and immediately you have new Highest Rankings Tables achieved completely under the new ranking system. Unfortunately it does mean a few members would suffer loss of scores achieved under the new system unless those players could be dealt with on a manual basis. However it does sound like most would not object to a reset anyway - and this, assuming it was possible, would not be a major and complete reset for anybody.

If it also needs an adjustment to be made to the parameters for 'virtuoso', 'professional' etc then do that too. If that matters to people.

Edited at 17:30 Wed 26/02/14 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
19:38 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Me being an "old" member i would love the reset fully and then have people challenging for highest ranks all over again like the good old days... Pool has had some great additions and some great things taken away (8ball and 9ball pro tables) and myself personally would love them to come back rather than the arcade u.s games.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:05 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

Probably 3% of that 12,205 are actually active/in use which is around 360 players.
flapjack
flapjack
Admin
21:12 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  

It appears that only those logged on are affiliated within a clan, the country of origin has nothing to do with if in a clan or not? 12k Active members, when is that from? Since records began? Also does that include multiple accounts?

Probably 3% of that 12,205 are actually active/in use which is around 360 players.

Those 12k are active members that have logged in recently.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:20 Wed 26 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Recent as in this month or recent as in the accounts aren't old enough to be automatically deleted?
Pages: 123
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Tournament discussion thread

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.