Premier League 2016 / 2017 Season

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 12
legend_pot
legend_pot
17:49 Mon 22 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Liking the look of Man Utd so far, City yet to hit proper form ill expect them to be a major force when they are in full flow soon. No disrespect to bournemouth but we weren't majorly challenged for the first week, so was looking to see if we would perform vs Southampton which we did quite well... still early days yet though
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
18:10 Mon 22 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Hull City vs Man United Next (Sat 17:30 Kickoff)

Hull beat Leicester but tbh Leicester were pretty awful, apart from Musa who ran at their defence a couple of times and Vardy spurning a number of chances the Leicester from last season failed to turn up. Snodgrass player well and Curtis Davies but other than them two, had Vardy taken his chances Hull would have lost. They beat Swansea this past weekend but I can't see them beating United especially with a depleted team and they have Exeter City tomorrow evening in the Cup.

So I'd expect another 3 comfortable points on Saturday...just in time for potentially the match of the season vs our bitter rivals Man City (Sept 10th)

What a day September 10th is shaping up to be:
* Celtic vs Rangers (12pm)
* Man United vs Man City (12:30pm)
* Gennady Golovkin vs Kell Brook (Boxing)

Cannot wait!!!
apples_back
apples_back
21:44 Tue 23 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
It's genuinely scary how good Manchester United are going to be this season - Getting their signings in early so that panic buying was avoided was obviously a great move, they've been able to gel with the team quickly apart from Pogba, and you sign a player like Pogba because he doesn't need to gel, he just does his ting.

Mourinho's style of play is going to suit players like Fellani and Ibra as having a strong CF and a strong CDM are vital parts of his system. Similarly, Mkhitaryian and Depay will benefit from the freedom that Jose gives his wingers.

So yeah, tip them to win the league over Guardiolas City but I expect City to be focusing on a strong run in the Champions League this season, at the end of the day that's why you hire a manager like Pep!
the__priest
the__priest
23:42 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
its gunna be a long hard season for sunderland

yet another draw looking like last season all over
crap start, then we pray again

Kone and the 2 new boys looked class Papy Djilobodji and Javier Manquillo with Van Arnholt

they will get better and better as a unit, I truly hope Kone stays, we need a top class defensive midfielder and 2 forwards

I think with them players in we can do well

with our injuries mounting we need to sign players
I hope we can resign Yann MVilla before some one else signs him
silent_phil
silent_phil
23:47 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  

Kone and the 2 new boys looked class Papy Djilobodji and Javier Manquillo with Van Arnholt

they will get better and better as a unit, I truly hope Kone stays, we need a top class defensive midfielder and 2 forwards

Become a writer for the Local newspaper pal. Nobody cares, i'm sure your the only Sunderland fan on here.
the__priest
the__priest
23:50 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  

Become a writer for the Local newspaper pal. Nobody cares, i'm sure your the only Sunderland fan on here.

you make me chuckle Phil
are you pretending to go to Wombledon again
now that cracked me up
paid for train
paid for your entrance to watch the wombledon final
waiting for taxi

drum roll
Posted Image

and you were on here in the middle of a 36 hours funky torno special

lmao
silent_phil
silent_phil
23:53 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Ouch.. The truth hurts certain people. But the truth doesn't hurt me. You've known me for years on here, and that's seriously the best you can come up with? Hilarious man, just hilarious
the__priest
the__priest
23:56 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
wombledon
Posted Image
silent_phil
silent_phil
23:57 Sat 27 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  

Edited at 21:02 Sat 27/08/16 (BST)
legend_pot
legend_pot
00:28 Sun 28 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Great 1 - 0 win for us there vs a very resilient Hull defense and side, those are the sort of games we weren't winning last season and taking the draws so happy with that one
the__priest
the__priest
11:34 Sun 28 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
the rain at Leicester and Hull yesterday looked unreal
hustler_1987
hustler_1987
21:16 Sun 28 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
city are looking good,, might see what odds i'll get for them to win title
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
21:35 Sun 28 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
They played very well in the 1st half but West Ham came more into the match the 2nd - as good as they were, their opponents were dreadful. I think the Derby is shaping up to be a classic - 2 unbeaten sides and I can only see the Red half winning.

Looking forward to it - both defences look a little shaky - but also both attacks look like could score every time.
derry_rhumba
derry_rhumba
05:38 Mon 29 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
punkpoet
punkpoet
20:18 Mon 29 Aug 16 (BST)  [Link]  
the rain at Leicester and Hull yesterday looked unreal

As I live in Leicester I can tell you, it was bad, alot of thunder and lightning as well.
Leicester doing okay, league looks good.
See you lot in another month :P
_knightmare_
_knightmare_
17:33 Sat 10 Sep 16 (BST)  [Link]  
City were by far the better team especially in the 1st 40 minutes - still think a 2-2 draw would have been a more fair result...but take nothing away from City they played very well and we'll just co their stadium and repay the favour.

For a neutral supporter - what a great game it was.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
01:23 Sun 11 Sep 16 (BST)  [Link]  
Pogback? Poggoneagain

In all seriousness though, if it ends up boiling down to putting Fellaini up top and playing the long ball just reeks of Moyes/Van Gaal. If that is what you go to when you need a goal then you won't win the title. United started the season better but City have passed the first test and looked as likely to win bigger as United were to equalise. I think the big difference is City have had the squad to do the job for the last few seasons so even in trouble (without Aguero) they can get things done. United reverted back to the long ball. That is the difference for me, why City will win the title.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:52 Thu 15 Sep 16 (BST)  [Link]  
It's genuinely scary how good Manchester United are going to be this season - Getting their signings in early so that panic buying was avoided was obviously a great move, they've been able to gel with the team quickly apart from Pogba, and you sign a player like Pogba because he doesn't need to gel, he just does his ting.

Mourinho's style of play is going to suit players like Fellani and Ibra as having a strong CF and a strong CDM are vital parts of his system. Similarly, Mkhitaryian and Depay will benefit from the freedom that Jose gives his wingers.

So yeah, tip them to win the league over Guardiolas City but I expect City to be focusing on a strong run in the Champions League this season, at the end of the day that's why you hire a manager like Pep!

Can you repeat that post again Sam

I think Man City are the team to beat, they are ripping defences apart with ease and they are only gonna keep improving with how pepe wants them to play.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
17:23 Sun 18 Sep 16 (BST)  [Link]  

Can you repeat that post again Sam

I think Man City are the team to beat, they are ripping defences apart with ease and they are only gonna keep improving with how pepe wants them to play.

Repeat it again too

United looked awful today. They were second best in the first half, got back in the game and then completely lost all discipline at the end which gave them no chance of a comeback.

The dust is starting to settle as to how this season will pan out. So far, only City look like champions and they are the ones to lay down the marker. Anyone else has to be better than them to get the title.

Leicester are a good team, but as expected they won't be in another title battle. For them I think they should focus on the Champions League and enjoy that because it might not happen again. They should be comfortably in the top half but how far up depends on other things really.

Arsenal look like the same old Arsenal so far, a very good team but vulnerable against the other big teams (and we have a lot of those right now). Probably going to be another season of exactly the same as always for them.

Spurs have made a decent start so far and look tough to beat, Kane still doesn't look sharp enough yet but I think he needs time to get going. They look like having another good season based on what we've seen so far.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
17:41 Sun 18 Sep 16 (BST)  [Link]  
United started brightly but I think are getting ahead of themselves with title talk. The evidence of this week shows they are far off that. Far too much of a long ball team element comes in when they're up against it, and it's not much improvement from last season. Rooney is awful, we need to get him out of the England set up until he earns the right to be back in it. He's looked in decline for the last two seasons and not fit to lead the lines. He's supposed to be in the same class as Aguero, but if you were to pick one it's a no brainer. Of course, this could be a blip and they could get right on it but I think top 4 is a more reasonable ambition when there is a big difference in quality. As soon as they were 2-1 down today, they gave away so many free kicks and yellow cards throughout the team. They lack the champions mentality, because the United of old would've pressed on for another equaliser. Pogba still doesn't look worth £30 million never mind £90 million, and he was supposed to be a ready made talent to a lot back in and win the league for United. Ibra looks good and has fitted right in but you can't rely on him to drag you back into a game. United have serious work to do, but with the money they've spent and the quality brought in they should at least put pressure on City but I think title talk is too soon.

Liverpool look brilliant in attack, mentally tough after a difficult start but still have issues with not killing a game off. We were much better than 2-1 suggests against Chelsea and it's a real issue the amount we concede. A clean sheet is what we need desperately right now because it will be a struggle to do well when you concede so many. Not to mention it must be draining to not be able to see out a 2 or 3 goal cushion. Top 4 is definitely on, any title talk is far too soon. Work to do in defence but a hard start we've pulled through well (apart from a blip), 7 points against the top 3 from last season with 9 goals scored and a lot of positivity buzzing about. Only one home game so far, which bodes well.

Everton have had a relatively easy start but they look very good too and might even be pushing for a top 4 place going on current form. Impressed with them and holding onto Lukaku has worked a treat for them.

West Ham and Stoke, terrible starts to the season from two sides who should be pushing on from just a top half finish. But other than those there isn't really a surprise with all the top teams actually at the top.
Pages: 12
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Premier League 2016 / 2017 Season

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.