FBL - General Discussion

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 12425
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:58 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The change was made because as it was the FBL was an impersonation of the FCL (albeit with a slightly different game format, but same league format) - To try and have the FBL as it's own respectable league.

Your comments and abuse really aren't wanted.

If you have any constructive criticism then please feel free to post.

If not, Sod off!
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
22:02 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Not at all, have you not been calling for a change of adding killer to FBL scoring? that wasn't in last season (eventually)

Look back at the start of this thread, you'll see so many different ideas for things (and a lot of wanting to scrap the FBL which gives off the impression the format at the time was not needed/too similar as the posts say)

In fact... i've just seen a very interesting post:

Would like to see FBL stay, the games used to be quick and straightforward scoring which was fair.
2 games each of
8 ball
9 ball
UK
Best of 9 frames pt for each rack
1 game of
Straight 3 frames 3 points per rack
1 x 6 killer
1st - 5 pts
2nd - 3 pts
3rd - 1 pt

Those 3 leagues with 3 totally different formats could run very well together, know I will get shot to pieces for suggesting this but I'd rather we stopped and got it all right now

Yeah too late for that I suppose but that FBL format would still be fine this season, think those 3 formats would be a lot better for the following season though.

You called for a change in scoring! get out of that one
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
22:05 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
A preseason trialling the new changes would have been the best way to test it, instead changing things for the sake of it. There were only a few modifications needed not an overhaul, guess its a statement. New Runners, New Season, New Rules.

We did away with pre-season's because in the end they were useless. If it wasn't liked under a pre-season you would need another pre-season to test out a new proposed format and it never ends then - that's not what pre-season is for. There was actually a lot of work to do because there was a big change early in last season which was too late in the day to be altered for that season - so these changes were always going to come and were called for.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:08 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The change was made because as it was the FBL was an impersonation of the FCL (albeit with a slightly different game format, but same league format) - To try and have the FBL as it's own respectable league.

Your comments and abuse really aren't wanted.

If you have any constructive criticism then please feel free to post.

If not, Sod off!

Who was this aimed at?
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
22:10 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I would imagine the person calling it a "total joke" to bring in a new scoring system
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:33 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Fbl was chopping and changing all the time and this thread always had someone mumping and moaning on it including myself. It was ran this season on 8 frames for a player in a format. Two of each format, simple. How many problem arose from this. Very VERY few. Fair enough I missed a fair whack of the season but I just hope it not gonna start changing for changes sake. The fbl is an established league in the previous seasons format. It worked very succesfully. Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't continue as such. Change for the sake of change doesn't work. You can call it progress if you like. Changes doesn't necessarily mean progress.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
22:42 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Only it isn't change for changes sake, the format was altered because there was a need for evaluation at the end of season.

It wasn't established at all because that was the first time the format had been like that, it had been extended for that season. You've even said this in your post.

There weren't many problems but there was a change of format mid-season which was a major issue and cannot and should not be done again. Since there was such a major change and calls for the FBL to be scrapped by a lot of players who hold a fair bit of respect and sway between them I would say this comfortably qualifies as a need for assessment and alteration into something that should be stable for the FBL's future seasons.

The successfulness could be questioned to some extent because the same calls have not been made about the other leagues in such a way, nor has there been such a meltdown.

However you want to look at it, it's not changes just for changes sake. It is needed and not just as an independent body to the other leagues but as a whole which is crucial.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:00 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Such drastic changes would therefore no longer make this the fbl. The fbl is a player against another in a single format, each team picking their best player in a SINGLE format.

The successfulness of last season cannot be questioned. All the people asking for it to be scrapped did so when the previous hitlers did all to just about sap the fun out of clans. The fbl format as ended up being run this season was on the go for many seasons before and run with no issueso
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
23:15 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
It's happened in other leagues and they miraculously maintain themselves as the same league. It is still the team picking their best player in a single format and still one player versus another. There's just been a tweak in the number of frames (which is just going back to previous FBL and closer to the original) and straight has been brought more in line with the other game types which is the right thing to do.

It doesn't make a difference to the individual whether they're playing for frames or points - they go out to win every frame or as many as they can and this doesn't change. A more team based approach has been called for and this is the response which adds variety

The successfulness of last season is easily questionable. You just said a drastic change would no longer make it the same league which is what happened. The integrity of the league was lost through a change in format, and the main issue of scheduling was not addressed (at least not correctly). The season was lengthened when the problem was it was out of line with the other two. It was impossible to provide an accurate table for the whole season apart from going into the last set because the amount of games clans had played was very different.

The format was still different to what had been run before because as you put it yourself it was chopping and changing all the time and the format was an increased one from the previous season, you'd have to be blind to think it was smooth after all the trouble
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
23:25 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The only problems with last seasons FBL were the not actually knowing what were going on, the amount of frames asked to play in the Straight Game type and the scoring within killer before it were abolished.

Killer would work if there were a designated day allocated solely for killer matches. IF players can't make it then the Captain should know beforehand and everyone would know in advance when they wee expected to be on line. IF a MASSIVE POKER match were advertised all those who like that game would do their utmost to be online for that day time, same applies with KILLER. (an example)

Changing the guard last season were what was needed, it were unfortunate the new league runner couldn't carry it on for their own reasons which is totally understandable. New league runners this season have expressed what they want, only a few modifications needed to be made, now it appears the leagues are all too similar, unfortunately.

FBL's scoring could do with being changed that's it.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
23:46 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
The scoring for killer was the same as it was the season before in FBL (but was scrapped), that was established. The amount of frames played in all individual types had changed from previous season (and were kept).

The problem last season had was the amount of fixtures was irregular and sets were irregular and things were changing mid-season. Teams panicked because they had so many games to play, but didn't consider the extra time they had to play it meant it was the same as the previous season. The only difference would've been killer in SL, but the FBL killer took the hit and was blamed because of other problems.

A designated day wouldn't work so great because it would need to be pre-arranged and theres all sorts of trouble there and no guarantee it would work or even agreed. That suggests it can only be played on that specific day which is extremely limiting. Also if its solely for killer does that mean no other game type can be played? What if that day is the best one for an individual match or is no good sometimes for one team. Default times do work on snookers though.

The problem with a poker analogy is that it is intended for a massive amount of people. Thousands upon thousands of people and theres often drop outs. Also there is a big incentive of money which is why people make time for it. You can't just make time for clan killer, it needs to be more flexible.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
23:50 Fri 31 Jan 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Runner change was needed because the last lot left and dumped the league, someone needed to step up or it would be dropped. The runners have made each league even more different than even before.

And it is a massive contradiction to say only minor modifications are needed and the leagues are too similar now. They were similar before these changes (the FBL and FCL were identical in how they seperated clans, just the match format different). Now there are 3 completely different leagues.

You want them to go back to when the leagues were similar to each other because under the new setups they are too similar to each other... It doesn't really make sense mate.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:08 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Zante - I wanted to change the killer scoring that was brought in by these guys last season!...nothing at all to do with changing the scoring system that has been in place since the fbl began.
Pirate? Seriously? Sod off? Lmao didn't take long for it to go to your head did it you jumped up little noob!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:22 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Zante - I wanted to change the killer scoring that was brought in by these guys last season!...nothing at all to do with changing the scoring system that has been in place since the fbl began.
Pirate? Seriously? Sod off? Lmao didn't take long for it to go to your head did it you jumped up little noob!

I very much appreciate your abuse. It's the kind of thing that gets me up in the morning and it's what I love most about investing my own time into things like this - It's what makes it all worth it and I can't thank you enough

Now again, for those who have trouble understanding English.

Abuse is not wanted and doesn't help with a discussion.

If anyone has anything constructive they want to add then please go ahead.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
00:28 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
You wanted to change every type. Killer, was one part. You wanted to move from a standard 8 frames to a best of 9 (5-9 frames). That's changing the scoring completely. But you've now argued that it should stay the same except killer should be FBL not SL.

The FBL has changed every season, different formats, amounts of divisions and so on. I don't see how this has anything to do with it. Would you be happy if the runners scrapped the FBL and then opened a new league with this format called the Funkypool Billiards League? Then the rubbish about this not being the same FBL can be thrown out.
turtle1560
turtle1560
00:43 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
I think killer would suit FBL more than SL. FBL is all about individual game types so killer should be included aswell right? 2 games of killer with each fixture worth 6 points each would fit in well with the current scoring. Also with 2 teams from each clan in SL getting any more than 2v2 games played would be quite hard. I'd prefer bigger killer games myself and FBL would have the better chance at achieving this.

I reckon the way they have killer on snooker is good where you can have any amount versus any amount just as long as captains agree on it. As for scoring i think having points awarded for 1st and 2nd would work(maybe 4 for 1st, 2 for 2nd). That way scoring is the same regardless of how big the killer games get. Anyways just a thought.

Also, while i have ya here, why are straight games worth less than other types now?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
00:54 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Was contemplating the idea of a killer in the FBL with 2 points for 1st, 1 for 2nd & 1 for 3rd.

Straight isn't worth less than the other types, all types are worth 4 points to the overall fixture. Just that straight has been reduced too 2 games of 2 frames (to try and reduce the affect of the "straight monopoly" with a more unpredictable shorter format).
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
00:56 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
New Runners, New Season, New Rules.

Such drastic changes would therefore no longer make this the fbl.

Just thought I'd bring to your attention the original FBL rules and format - might change your opinions

http://www.funkypool.com/thread/17382/fbl-discussion-and-news-thread/7#1078585
http://funkybilliards.webs.com/rules.htm

Each team picks 8 of their players for a fixture:

2 players play 9 ball (6 frames)
2 players play 8 uk (6 frames)
2 players play 8 us (6 frames)
2 players play straight (2 frames)

Each game that is won will be worth 2 points and a draw will be worth 1 point. The same will apply for fixtures, each fixture won will be worth 2 points and each fixture drawn will be worth 1 point.

Now compare that to the rules for this season:

2 8US matches (6 frames each)
2 9Ball matches (6 frames each)
2 8UK matches (6 frames each)
2 Straight matches (2 frames each)

A match win gives the team 2 points, a draw 1 point. So overall there are 16 points on offer. If a team wins a fixture they get 2 points, a draw is 1 point each - No other bonus points at all, a simple 'football league' format.

So the rules aren't really new, its a moderate change from the original FBL league (which formed from the ashes of the CPL and FPL) which was an alternative to the FCL. So how is this no longer the FBL?
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
00:58 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
Actually a very interesting read ^ the only differences being there were 2 divisions, 9 clans, a play off between the top 2 for the title. Also included an awards section and an allstar match at the end of season.
turtle1560
turtle1560
00:59 Sat 1 Feb 14 (GMT)  [Link]  
oh yeah of course, forgot about the format change there.

But then wouldnt that mean if the scoring was towards 'match wins' then it would more like 2 points to whoever comes first in killer, because like in the other game types, how close you come to winning the match is irrelevant(ie. 2nd place in killer), only whoever wins gets the points
Pages: 12425
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

FBL - General Discussion

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.