FBL discussion (2)

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 18283
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
01:37 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I fear I've played my last straight game in the FBL then lol. Straight will be worth 6 points and all the other games 8 points yeah?
beenjammin
beenjammin
02:01 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
That's what she said, but it's only a slight change.
Last season, after the bp, it was 8 for all but straight, which got 7.
So in a way the other types haven't changed, and straight only lost one point.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:07 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah, but it lost a point last season and it has lost another point this season. It's now only worth 75% of the other game types, so I think captains will think twice before putting player like pete or dvz in a game type that's worth less when they can be more effective where it's worth a lot.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:11 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
What about:

2 8US
2 9US
2 8UK
1 Straight

I would go back to last seasons score system, where you play 6 frames and 3 straight. Increasing it in time will make it into an FCL based length which FBL is supposed to be quick.

Over in our league we are trying Mixed this season where you play 2 Frames of US, UK and 9 Ball which would work under last seasons scoring but since we have FCL (longer version of Mixed) and Super League (Mixed but Bonuses for Events) I can't see it being implemented.
beenjammin
beenjammin
02:22 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
75% is right if you just look at the points, but if you consider the luck factor in other types, you're just as well off putting them in straight.
If pete played straight against an average player, you could expect 6-0
if he played 8ball against an average player, you could expect 7-1,
either way you gained 6 points on the opposing team.

I like it just fine this way, anxious to see the scoring for killer, hope it counts every position differently.

Edited at 23:30 Fri 06/09/13 (BST)
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:28 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
that's all theoretical though. The only thing we know for sure is that he would have less chance for impact in a game that's simply not worth as much.
I'm just pointing out that I disagree with devaluing game types just because some people win at it...
beenjammin
beenjammin
02:32 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Come now, that was a strong point
consider it.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:33 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
It doesn't change the devaluing. We are not only playing against one team, we are playing against all teams on the table. Why would I waste pete in a match worth 6 points when I can use him in a match worth 8 points.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:33 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I think each type should have an even weight in points.
beenjammin
beenjammin
02:42 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
It doesn't change the devaluing. We are not only playing against one team, we are playing against all teams on the table. Why would I waste pete in a match worth 6 points when I can use him in a match worth 8 points.

Thought I'd pointed that out, because he's a lot less likely to get a whitewash in anything but straight, you most likely gain the same either way.
You admit you'd put your best players in straight right (if it had equal point weight)? Doesn't that admit that with straight's higher # of whitewash scores (lower luck factor), it makes more of a deciding factor in a team fixtures?
The whole point of equal points weight is to give each type an equal deciding factor, it's been pointed out that straight doesn't need the same amount of points to be an equal factor (because of the lower luck factor).
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:46 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
No, I would put my best players in their best game types (some of which happen to be straight). But now I will most likely NOT end up putting the best players in straight, because it will be a waste.

about stats- i'll have a look at a few numbers from this season and then get back to you about straight vs other game types.

Edited at 23:53 Fri 06/09/13 (BST)
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:57 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Its the same for every type, If i played someone like hardy (no offence intended) in any type i would expect to win 6-0 and if i lost more than two i would be disappointed.

Its the same for every clan though. One Fixture you may get Seb, another you may get Huts, its the luck of the draw.

Straight is similar to Power Snooker where you have me vs Seb or Pete (lethal_lures). I know its about winning to most clans but isn't the point of clans is to enjoy them?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:59 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I think you both have valid points regarding straight.

It does hold more weight than the others, you are already being rewarded more points for playing less frames regardless of the length of time it takes to complete a frame of straight.

However Seb makes a good point regarding the utilisation of players.

I think this is one for the polls
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
03:08 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
ok i've looked at all the fixture from both divisions from this season.
I checked to see whether completely removing the straight scores would change the outcome of each fixture. Here are the results:

Division 1:
Total fixtures: 20
In 1 case, removing straight would've made the other team win the fixture.
In 1 other case, it's impossible to tell because the straight game was either not completed or went to defaults.

Division 2:
Total fixtures: 30
In 1 case, the outcome would've been reversed. In another case, the game would've ended in a tie. And there was again 1 more case of a game incomplete or going to defaults.

So in total, straight was decisive in 3 out of 50 fixtures (with 2 doubtfuls). In 47/50, the fixture turns out exactly the same without the straight scores.
That is 6%. So saying that straight often decides a fixture is vastly exaggerated.

Please keep this in mind when thinking about the straight weighting.
beenjammin
beenjammin
04:18 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Never said straight alone decides team fixtures! Said it has more say than the other types do.
Everyone knows, if you search for something with a biased opinion, you will find what you're looking for.
Search this, how many times was a close match turned into a wooping because of straight? I took a quick glance, about half the fixtures I looked at.
beenjammin
beenjammin
04:26 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Its the same for every type, If i played someone like hardy (no offence intended) in any type i would expect to win 6-0 and if i lost more than two i would be disappointed.

I totally disagree, look at the average win % in straight among the best players, and then look at those same players' win percentage in the other types.
straight has a lower luck factor, can't deny that,
makes me think of another search for Seb,
How many whitewash scores were there in straight vs each other type?
^ That's the search you should have been doing Seb, if you want to compare the types, the amount of weight they have on deciding a team fixture.

Edited at 01:34 Sat 07/09/13 (BST)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:18 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Division One - Whitewash Games (excluding partials)
8US 2
9US 1
8UK
Straight 21
Killer 6

Division Two - Whitewash Games (excluding partials)
8US 7
9US 6
8UK 3
Straight 36
Killer 12
erigert
erigert
12:23 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
ok i've looked at all the fixture from both divisions from this season.
I checked to see whether completely removing the straight scores would change the outcome of each fixture. Here are the results:

Division 1:
Total fixtures: 20
In 1 case, removing straight would've made the other team win the fixture.
In 1 other case, it's impossible to tell because the straight game was either not completed or went to defaults.

Division 2:
Total fixtures: 30
In 1 case, the outcome would've been reversed. In another case, the game would've ended in a tie. And there was again 1 more case of a game incomplete or going to defaults.

So in total, straight was decisive in 3 out of 50 fixtures (with 2 doubtfuls). In 47/50, the fixture turns out exactly the same without the straight scores.
That is 6%. So saying that straight often decides a fixture is vastly exaggerated.

Please keep this in mind when thinking about the straight weighting.

lol i wonder who said that straight alone wins a team the fixture. but if the result in other typyes is 35-30 straight makes that 47-30. check what im saying and you will find im right
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
13:52 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I've heard it said many times that the straight games seem to carry more weight than the others. That's simply not the case, which is what I pointed out with the numbers above. The straight games rarely decide the fixtures.

beenjammin said:
How many whitewash scores were there in straight vs each other type?
^ That's the search you should have been doing Seb, if you want to compare the types, the amount of weight they have on deciding a team fixture.
That doesn't take much of a search. Of course there are more 6-0 in that type than in the others, for a variety of reasons. It comes back down to your eternal argument about the total number of frames won being the most important thing- many others will say it's a team game and all about beating the other teams, in which case, straight suddenly is not nearly as important.

More straight whitewashes for a number of reasons:
1) Luck factor is lower. 2) The variety of possible scores is lower. You can't scratch out 1 point like in the other types. 3) You have fewer opportunities to win a frame against a player- only half the chances as in the other games.

I don't see why that's an argument for reducing the straight games though.
Take out a straight game if you want, but still give it the same weighting as each other game.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:07 Sat 7 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Comparing the number of whitewashes in black and white is flawed because of the formats of the different game types.

Captains seem to play their 'better' players in the straight games - skews the stats.

Keeping full concentration for 6 frames is very hard, whereas keeping concentration for 3 frames is relatively easy.

I'd go out on a limb and say that if you compare the results of a player in the first three frames of an 8US match, and in three frames of a straight match, that over 100 matches there would be a negligible difference.

Apparent importance of straight to a match is a direct consequence of 2 points for a frame compared to 1 in other game types - But you can't reduce the weighting to accommodate for this - Can we not include the idea of '6 frames of straight worth 1 point' in a poll and limit the voters to people who have played a straight match over the last 5 seasons?
Pages: 18283
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

FBL discussion (2)

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funky Billiards League.
Back to Forum List.