FCL League Discussion Thread (3)

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Funkypool Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 18990
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:20 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
That's up to the runner but if you cant win on the day you don't win. Usain bolt lost the world championships due to a false start. Did they race a few times to give him another chance that year? No. Wigan won the cup final, are they giving the other team a chance cause they had a bad day?

My points are more based on the notion that most points don't mean you should win as is the case in 99% of professional sports.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
14:40 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Is this league going to be people just playing the one game type?

I think this sort of thing would work best (although I don't know how many players you will be looking for).
World Cup/Champions League style format, although twice the size because you will need a lot more than 32 players for this, but would 64 not be enough?

If it was 64, then either 8 groups of 8, or 16 groups of 4 haha, top 4 or 2 in the group go through respectively. Each player plays everyone in their group once, 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. Frame difference/head to head would be used to differentiate anyone on the same points at the end.
Format could be similar to what you used for the doubles, but an even amount of frames to give the possibility of a draw in a game. You then move into knockout stages (rounds dependant on amount of players that started).

Here's why I think all types should be used; it would be to make sure that every season is the same, reason for this is I think every player should be seeded. For the first season, the best way to seed players would be to take the rank (or the average rank) of each player for the types that you use (will take a lot of time, I'll help do it). Future seasons' rank would depend on how that player did the season before (winner ranked 1st, runner-up ranked 2nd etc).
I also think a 3rd/4th place play-off should be done with the losing semi-finalists. All other ranks for the next season will be calculated based on performance.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
14:42 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
... Any new players that join in future seasons will be quite lowly ranked.

By the way, the seeds would work exactly the same way as the Champions League seedings. Group the seeds into 'pots' and you can't be put in a group with anyone in the same 'pot' as you.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:48 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Winner should be determined firstly by overall points, if these are equal then next criteria: difference between frames won/lost, makes every frame during the season important and incorporates the team as a collective. Make a column on the table for C/Bonus but that is only added to the score right at the end of the season not during, will give all teams esp those near the top a truer reflection how their team have played and perfomed.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:50 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
FCL or FBL angry?
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
14:52 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Winner should be determined firstly by overall points, if these are equal then next criteria: difference between frames won/lost, makes every frame during the season important and incorporates the team as a collective. Make a column on the table for C/Bonus but that is only added to the score right at the end of the season not during, will give all teams esp those near the top a truer reflection how their team have played and perfomed.

You mean the winner of the group? That's what I mean. But the points should ONLY be for winning or drawing, so if there's 4 people in a group, maximum of 9 points is available, but frame difference will play a huge part.

Why you going on about teams? This is the individuals league isn't it?
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
14:56 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
FCL or FBL angry?

FCL League Discussion Thread ^^

Individual League

Recently i have been thinking of introducing the Individual League back into the FCL. I have not really thought of much about it but i am a little hesitant as in the past people have stopped playing games just because they can't win the type they are in.

There would be a limit in each league of course and activity would be a huge factor in it.

If anyone didnt play game then they would be removed after a certain time and a new player could take their place (although they take on the latest persons score)

If anyone decides to leave the event then that will be noted down and you could be banned from playing in it the next season (if it ran that long)

What do others think?

Is this not what all this discussion has been about? . Whether it is or isn't these are my opinions on the format that should be used for this.
If I wasn't already doing the knockout cup, This type of thing is something I'd be looking at having a crack at, but Jay can have my ideas
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:00 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Sorry mate Im still talking about the FCL, but I totally agree with most of what you have said, Im not a big fan of the seedings idea, makes ppl feel even more inferior. The ranking system is not the best as it is.

I think groups would be good, whoever ends up in your group, play and deal with it, should all be drawn at randomn.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:08 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Sorry mate Im still talking about the FCL, but I totally agree with most of what you have said, Im not a big fan of the seedings idea, makes ppl feel even more inferior. The ranking system is not the best as it is.

I think groups would be good, whoever ends up in your group, play and deal with it, should all be drawn at randomn.

I know what you mean, and some people don't like the rankings system on here, but most of the time it is accurate. You will have the best 8us players for example, at the top of the rankings.

The seedings idea is to maximise the chance of the better players getting through to the latter stages of the tournament. Bit boring if you ask me that say the 4 best players get drawn in the same group. You want these playing each other in the semi-final.

Can't not give seeding just so you don't offend someone or make them feel small, they signed up the clans. Anyway, I don't think that would happen. After all is would be based on their ranking. It's the way sport works so why can't it be the same here.

Didn't see Man City crying that they were in the 3rd pot for the Champions League draw this season, when based on quality, they should not be there. It's all based on past performance, exactly how this would work.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:20 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
T-rue, but a group with 4 of the best players would be awesome, esp if only 2 can qualify to the knockout stage? The likelihood this happening in probability is microscopic.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:27 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Not speaking of myself here but the best players in the league do not all have the best rank which makes wanting the best players in the semis arguement void. I certainly dont rank seb the 19th best player on here so him ending up in pot 3 makes it more likely another top player would get knocked out. Random = fair.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:28 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah there is a small chance of it happening, and it would be a good group, but would still be better to have them 4 players all in the semi final instead. This method would eliminate the chance of it happening in the group.

I would much prefer Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man Utd (for example) all in the semi final, playing to win the tournament, rather be in the same group, where 2 of them would be going out of the competition. Would guarantee superb semi final and final games.

And Jay has already said he would like to do the Champions League style tournament, so I think it should work exactly the same way.

It would also bring something new to funky, and to the FCL season, make it exciting . And like I've said, I will help Jay sort everything out.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:32 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Not speaking of myself here but the best players in the league do not all have the best rank which makes wanting the best players in the semis arguement void. I certainly dont rank seb the 19th best player on here so him ending up in pot 3 makes it more likely another top player would get knocked out. Random = fair.

You're right, not EVERY player has the rank they deserve, but it's like that in real life too. It will be good to have a few that are ranked higher/lower than their abilities suggest, but as a whole, most players are ranked where they 'should' be. As I've already said, Man City are certainly not in the 3rd best ranked group teams in Europe.

But saying this, the seedings would only be given this way for the first season, future seasons will be based on how that player did the season before.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:39 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I agree with how you did for seasons after being the way forward, you earned your seed. I would be inclined not to inclined not to enter as I am guaranteed to get three tough opponents (nah of course I would go in) but the mentality is there for many other entrants. All these things are geared up for the best players. Make it random and give everyone hope they could qualify and I am sure you would get greater numbers.
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
15:43 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I was not planning on doing any seeding in the first season of the new individual format for the reason that John pointed out, some of the best players are not even in high ranks. After the first season i was planning to seed the players. Its going to be a complete random group for the first season of it being back.

I think any more than 16 players in one type would be pushing it and the success of the event would be compromised by a lot if there was a lot more players in it. Start small and work up.

@krazyash_07 - There is already a C/Bonus section on the table, it is updated after every fixture set and i am not going to change that. Leaving it all to end of season just means i need to spend 20 - 30 minutes which i shouldn't need to checking who has won/completed games and then showing that on the table with bonuses.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:48 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Jay are you just doing the one game type for each player in this? Or will it be similar to the doubles? Play every type?
bluenose1872
bluenose1872
15:50 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
You mean allow players to play in two maybe all three of them? If you do mean that then i was just going to keep it to one type to keep it simple for its first time back with the new format. If it was successful i was going to make it larger the season after this one coming.
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:56 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
No I mean similar to the knockout cup, put your name down for 8us for example. Is this an FCL event? Because if it is, then playing just one type has the characteristics of the FBL.

What I mean is in the group stage, players will play 8 frames of 8us for example. To make it familiar with the FCL, and to make seedings easier for next season, then all game types would need to be played. 2 frames of 8us, 9ball and 8uk for example in the group.

If it is the one type, then say the winner of 8us (who would be seeded 1 next time) decided to change type to 9ball the season after, he and the 9ball winner from last season would be playing in 9ball this time, but both ranked 1?
cke1982
cke1982
16:24 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
That's up to the runner but if you cant win on the day you don't win. Usain bolt lost the world championships due to a false start. Did they race a few times to give him another chance that year? No. Wigan won the cup final, are they giving the other team a chance cause they had a bad day?

My points are more based on the notion that most points don't mean you should win as is the case in 99% of professional sports.

wigan one in a cup im talking about a league where u paly each other twice
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:27 Wed 4 Sep 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Because you play home and away. There is an advantage you have to play twice to be fair. Online there is none.
Pages: 18990
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

FCL League Discussion Thread (3)

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Funkypool Clan League Management.
Back to Forum List.