Could it be Costa Ricas night???
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
01:56 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
After that not going in, i'm calling it now: Costa Rica will win the World Cup
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:20 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Not liking how many decisions Netherlands are getting now that they shouldn't, hoping the ref doesn't ruin this one.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:31 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
You aren't a neutral if you aren't screaming for a Costa Rican goal right now

EDIT: With the greatest respect to Krul, I hope he misses every pen. Van Gaal massively disrespecting Cillessen, being replaced after making a last minute saved by a keeper with 2 saves out of 20 penalties for Newcastle. Is Vorm injured? he's a good one for saving them.

Edited at 23:40 Sat 05/07/14 (BST)
franer_
franer_
02:35 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
WOW

This is an amazing story...Tim Krul.

he will be a villan or a hero in a few minutes.
franer_
franer_
02:52 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Inspired or what..

There must be a reason for him to do it....no way would Cillessen react in a positive way otherwise.

Cillessen will be back in goal for the semi
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:52 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Wow, no respect for Krul there. Well done on the saves but what was the ref playing at not booking him?

Holland get through again, but they could've easily gone out again. Hats off to the Costa Rican's, Holland weren't good enough to break them down and Navas was easily the man of the match.

Germany vs Brazil
Argentina vs Netherlands

That's the sort of draw you expect before the tournament, took this long for the underdogs to go out and all credit to them. Time for the big boys to show up, I think Germany should win it from here but it could go anyway now.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:53 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Respect for what? Psyching them up? Rubbish! All keepers do it and IF it works it works.

Been the best World Cup ever IMO, usually the so called lesser teams get thrashed or succumb to their expected defeat, this is the 1st World Cup where most teams IF not all regardless of their Individual players have been on a level par as a Team Collective.

Great to see, I think Holland will beat Argentina and Brazil will beat Germany - The Neymar aspect will give Brazil that more incentive and they will win the World Cup. Argentina's past 2 matches they have played better but still not firing on ALL cylinders - maybe the Semi Final they might just do that. Still reckon Holland will pinch it from them, especially IF Di maria is not back, Enzo Perez played quite well though mind when he entered the fray.

Great Semi Finals and very fitting for a Great World Cup!
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
14:16 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
He's gone out of his way to put them off, he should be on his line not right in front of the penalty taker. It's unsportsmanlike conduct, keepers do get booked for it and he should have too.

Brazil's defence will be much more vulnerable now. Silva has been their rock when others havent lived up to their reputation so they'll miss him. I get the feeling Netherlands are slowing down, whereas Argentina are building up so I think Germany vs Argentina will be the final. There's going to be a lot of free kicks given away by the Dutch because they foul a lot, a Messi free kick could well be the difference.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:53 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Joe Hart did exactly the same vs Italy, if it gives a GK that extra edge then I don't see any problems with it. All keepers do it, maybe thats why he were subbed on to intimidate and it sure worked as 2 fine saves. For Newcastle only saved 2/20 - maybe he should apply this for them.

Nothing unsporting about it, not once did I see a Costa Rican players complain. The problem I see for the Dutch is they are over reliant on Robben, IF Argentina minimize him getting the ball then that's their most potent threat gone. Argentina similiar with Messi but they have others around him, hopefully Di Maria will be fit if not then Enzo can fill his position.

Germany need play Draxler i feel, more a playmaker, play him alongside Kroos, Gotze on 1 wing and Schurrle on the other. Schweinstieger the DMC.
_niall_
_niall_
16:13 Sun 6 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Germany - France: Agreed with some above me, I think experience will play a big role here and feel Germany will nick it by the odd goal. 1-0 Germany.

Brazil - Colombia: Again experience could be crucial, and I feel Brazil just have too much going for them not to go through again. Neymar with an ET winner. 2-1 Brazil AET.

Argentina - Belgium: Probably gonna rule slightly with my heart here, but I really feel Argentina are bound t okick into gear sooner rather than later. A fully fit Aguero and this would be no contest IMO. As for Belgium surely Lukaku's got to start which would concern me greatly! 3-1 Argentina.

Netherlands - Costa Rica: Surely Costa Rica's bubble will finally burst and the Dutch will be too strong. That said I reckon it will still be pretty tight for most of the game. 3-1 Netherlands.

This won me a tidy sum
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
00:27 Mon 7 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Joe Hart did exactly the same vs Italy, if it gives a GK that extra edge then I don't see any problems with it. All keepers do it, maybe thats why he were subbed on to intimidate and it sure worked as 2 fine saves. For Newcastle only saved 2/20 - maybe he should apply this for them.

Nothing unsporting about it, not once did I see a Costa Rican players complain. The problem I see for the Dutch is they are over reliant on Robben, IF Argentina minimize him getting the ball then that's their most potent threat gone. Argentina similiar with Messi but they have others around him, hopefully Di Maria will be fit if not then Enzo can fill his position.

Germany need play Draxler i feel, more a playmaker, play him alongside Kroos, Gotze on 1 wing and Schurrle on the other. Schweinstieger the DMC.

Its in the laws of the game that yet must remain on the line between the goal posts. Like penalty stutters at the end of a run up, they aren't allowed but never get punished.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:24 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
the worst world cup i have ever seen. Terrible refs and the standard of play has been quite frankly shocking .. i was definitely cheering costa rica on until they came up against holland and barely had an attack until the 118th minute, holland broke them down on many occasions BUT navas was simply fantastic, argentina far too reliant on messi doing something, even in the goal it was his movement in the run that gave higuain any form of space, Hope germany win they at least play as a team. Thiago silvas booking for me was absolutely pathetic .. the goalkeeper through the ball up .. that means he was no longer in control as it was out of his hands, i really don't understand why it was a booking although i guess fifa's rules anything can happen.
fuunky
fuunky
15:42 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Couldn't agree more Matty, and I've seen so many people say It's bin the best World Cup ever lol wtf....the standard has been horrendous hence why so many average at best teams got out the group stages
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:45 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
Couldn't agree more Matty, and I've seen so many people say It's bin the best World Cup ever lol wtf....the standard has been horrendous hence why so many average at best teams got out the group stages

exactly i remember the excitement i had over the 2002 world cup players like ronaldo and zidane i wanted to watch couldn't wait to see luis figo for portugal back then .. the only player i have enjoyed watching this world cup is messi .. HE DOESNT DIVE and he has fantastic movement... people saying james rodriguez was good and he was but he dives .. robben .. dives .. can't stand cheaters .... messi gets kicked more than anyone and still stays up .. this world cup has been ruined by people influencing refs decisions and people just not playing as well for their country as they do for their team . i guess money does talk.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:56 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
I am one of the people who think this has been a really enjoyable world cup, but I do agree with you matty that it has been tarnished with diving and that bite.

The main reason people watch football, is to see goals, and we have seen some crackers, so that is one of the reasons why I have liked this world cup
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:01 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
chappy .... we have seen a couple of average goals .... was the james rodriguez or the david luis strike any better than argentinas team goal in th 2002 world cup ? or any better than roberto carlos's free kick .. surely as years go on the goals should get better but they are not the goals are nowhere near what they have been in previous world cup, the amount of goals scored too seems relatively small in this world cup everyone has been far too tentative, really havent enjoyed working every night just in case we get busy, getting torrent load of abuse because the games apart from a select couple have been relatively poor.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:06 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
WOW - I agree with you matty with regards to shocking and appalling refereeing, the matches have been tarnished and let down with acts of deceit but on the whole the fact the so called 'lesser teams' have IMO outplayed and outshone the better teams, which were very unexpected.

Colombia have been the most entertaining, Costa Rica the best Underdogs, Chile were simply Chile, firm and resolute with great players. Brazil, Argentina, Germany, have been less than inspired and tbh quite boring and predictable. Holland unfortunately after such an impressive and outstanding performance versus Spain have not maintained that high standard so will be compared to that. I'd like Holland to win it now, but feel with the Neymar injury than in return will re-energize the Brazil squad.

The constant calling for Cards to be produced have been a disgrace and that really needs to be quashed just like diving, feigning injury etc. Other than that - been a very good EVEN World Cup.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:11 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
columbia had a good run but they wasn't absolutely out of this world .. for me chile were the best team of the world cup and just came unstuck against brazil. costa rica a great underdog story ? in the group stages they looked like an attacking team who were capturing everyones hearts then BAM knockout stages came and they looked like rolf harris in the dock .. scared and not sure what to do.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
16:14 Tue 8 Jul 14 (BST)  [Link]  
i think its more to the point the big teams have been so underwhelming the lesser teams have looked better.

tonight

Germany 2-2 (Brazil after pens) Neymar hasn't been the be all and end all .. they have great aerial thread from set pieces as do the germans. can see a good attacking flowing game.

tomorrow

Holland 1-3 Argentina Holland are not great in defence and mascherano will stop robben all night long. aguerro to get the winner :D
Pages: 11314
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

World Cup 2014

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.