Get more people!

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.

Pages: 1
lethal_lures
lethal_lures
00:19 Fri 14 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Yh nick is doing his best atm, people use phones way too much these days, honestly they are taking over!

If people want to play an online pool game then im sure the majority will type it into google, and if u do funkypool is 6th on the list so that is pretty good, so it may just be that people are just not interested in an online game of pool.

Altho saying this i have been on other pool games and some of them are loaded with players with such a c rap table its mind boggling at times.

I have in the past been on these sites and have spread the word of funkypool, i suggest some others do the same!

Plus the name *funky* may give the user a sense that its a mess around, if u didn't no both sites and u had the choice between 8baller.co.uk or funkypool.com then you would probably visit 8baller first as its more of a sensible name.

The gameplay on this site is second to none, i don't think ads would help bring in members, as i for one never click on adds.

Why don't we all flood on 8baller.com and literally hijack it! spread the name funkypool!!!
derik_dalton
derik_dalton
01:13 Fri 14 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Ive suggested an idea as to why new members don't stick around and it received nno feedback whatsoever, but when u talk to the more sensible older players they agree with it.

I think one of the main reasons is because the ranking system is flawed because of reseting, players need to find there own level and improve in time with practice, many players level for the first few days or weeks will be 640 to 710 (depending), they will be playing players within this range, that realistically are sometimes 750 to 850 players, how can they ever realise what level there at, they will just deem it pointless, the double points system in tourneys dosent help at all either, players need to find a realistic level and play to that as they used to, b4 u could get a game within your range at any time of day, its impossible now, I perfectly understand players playing for a decent profil, but in the long run its not helping new members join
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:51 Fri 14 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
SIMPLY... go on your facebook, posst a link to funkypool.com, and describe that it is FREE, and u can try it without making an account using (guest), just click play and test it out, easily the greatest online pool site out there...

Then those who have the money and really enjoy it, can upgrade and get premium, and u can include what premium includes...

Sumthin like that^ i posted that on my FB page like a week n half ago
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:52 Fri 14 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
still torn bout blaze.. :((
_marc_
_marc_
02:10 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Maybe if nick listened to his members then i would actually show some interest in helping spread the word, but i can't even count the amount of people who have said that going back to the old layout of the site would possibly increase numbers.

I'm not only talking about hourly tournaments; the ranking system now is ridiculous and the multiple accounts shouldn't even be allowed.

Doubles still hasn't made an appearance.....people give ideas and no one listens, you're all wasting your time.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
02:13 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
The ranking system, hourly tournaments, etc have no bearing at all on getting new people here. People would have to come here and play first to see any (alleged) problems. I think the point of the thread is to try to get more people to come here in the first place.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:17 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
But the point he is trying to make is that making people stay here could override a need for getting more members. If people were staying then there's no need to get more players.
dgeneratio
dgeneratio
02:27 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Maybe if nick listened to his members then i would actually show some interest in helping spread the word, but i can't even count the amount of people who have said that going back to the old layout of the site would possibly increase numbers.

I'm not only talking about hourly tournaments; the ranking system now is ridiculous and the multiple accounts shouldn't even be allowed.

Doubles still hasn't made an appearance.....people give ideas and no one listens, you're all wasting your time.

nick has mentioned about doubles being hard to implement so its not likely to be implemented.

multiple accounts shouldn't be allowed but how do you take apart family members who play on the site?

number of tournaments are silly in my book but in a new players view they can get a feel for tournaments straight away and they can enter many tournaments.

think friendly was better though, less seriousness, less pressure and more fun/sportsmanship

Lastly the ranking system was flawed before, yeah its a bit silly now but over time nick has made it harder and harder to reach Virtuoso which is suppose to be the Best Rank you could achieve and on the old system it was a lot easier to achieve.

However ranking tournaments is what made it harder for me. On old system you could pick opponents so on Snooker to get to 900 i played players below 750, i wasn't proud of that but at the time i was missing Virtuoso and that was easiest way.
zantetsukenz
zantetsukenz
02:39 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I can't really see how the ranking system before was flawed, it did exactly what it was supposed to in differentiating player levels and they were all accurate. I knew playing a virt would be harder than an 870, which would be harder than an 830, etc. Now I can completely disregard rank as a way to gauge the ability of my opponent, so what's the point of it?

al did what you said to get high 800's and virtuoso, and he was incredibly consistent and fully deserved to be the rank he was at. The argument then was that the system was fair for whoever you played.

Snooker is a little different, the games are longer so more likely to result in the better player winning the game. It's harder for the lesser player to win frames. Here one mistake could mean losing to a newbie.
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
03:22 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
But the point he is trying to make is that making people stay here could override a need for getting more members. If people were staying then there's no need to get more players.
I think that's unrealistic. The only way for a site to grow is to continually attract new members. Those who stay here for more than a few months are and always will be a minority.
ab_rfc
ab_rfc
12:03 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
The too many tournaments argument is a tricky one, theres arguments for and against.

With lots of tournaments your seeing members of all ranks winning whether it be a main one or a micro, where as with hourly tournaments you would have the top players winning most of the time just like it used to be, going back to hourly tournaments would only be a good thing if members that get knocked out stay on and create game rooms, getting knocked out then logging out due to having to wait for the next tournament could make the site even quieter.
Now as for the rank system, I really can't see where a rank system that keeps everyone happy will come from, we had the friendly hourly tournaments in the past and people shouted to make them ranked, now people are shouting to change back, going back to friendly tournaments takes us back to where members can only build up their rank by them picking and choosing who they play, is that a fair system ?, I don't think so and could never rank a player using that system.

Back on topic now lol

I see some posts saying we should all do our bit to get new members on and I'm sure I've seen the odd one say thats nick's job, he should be doing more advertising, yeah you might be right and maybe he should but remember we are all members of this site, its an internet game site and like so many sites out there word of mouth and a bit of praise goes a long way to getting more people interested, thats how I heard about funky pool.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:54 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I personally think that the only way to entice and encourage new players were to either 'factory reset' the whole site. Reset EVERY PLAYERS stats back to default, maybe even reduce the default. That way everyone would be on a level playing field plus this will show the truly skilled and awesome players are.

I would do this reset at the beginning of a new year and set the Challenge to see how well you can do within the next 12 months, say the top 10 get rewarded (subsciption or something, maybe a trophy on their profile, new cue etc) If people just want to play friendlies then that's fine but to me pool is meant to be challenging, at least all persons would be catered for and the prospect of a challenge would attract further interest with bringing in new faces.

Just my idea - let the slating begin lol

Edited at 11:59 Sat 15/06/13 (BST)
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:05 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
There's many things that can be done to attract more people here, and everyone that has posted so far have covered a lot of it. Not every single thing that people have said can, or will be done, but bits of what's been said can be. What I mean is that I agree with some things that everyone has said so far, but it's too much to implement EVERYTHING that's been mentioned, maybe it will be done over a longer period of time though. We all know Nick's constantly working on new things and content, would take too long to do everything that's been suggested.

There are things like (and it's been mentioned hundreds of times) keeping the Facebook page up to date. So far it has just over 1500 likes, and there a a LOT more players than that on here. If every funky player who has a Facebook account liked it, and it was updated more often in a way that would attract more people, then that would really help. Other people on everyone's friends list would see that this person has liked the page and possibly be a curious enough to check it out?

Costs nothing aswell, apart from a bit of someones time
angry_bacon
angry_bacon
15:07 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
I personally think that the only way to entice and encourage new players were to either 'factory reset' the whole site. Reset EVERY PLAYERS stats back to default, maybe even reduce the default. That way everyone would be on a level playing field plus this will show the truly skilled and awesome players are.

I would do this reset at the beginning of a new year and set the Challenge to see how well you can do within the next 12 months, say the top 10 get rewarded (subsciption or something, maybe a trophy on their profile, new cue etc) If people just want to play friendlies then that's fine but to me pool is meant to be challenging, at least all persons would be catered for and the prospect of a challenge would attract further interest with bringing in new faces.

Just my idea - let the slating begin lol

Edited at 11:59 Sat 15/06/13 (BST)

Disagree with this, I know people do reset their account sometimes for whatever reason, but I personally would never reset. That would mean that all the hard work and achievements I have had over the last 9 months would be for nothing, and starting again is not something I want to do. Having my account reset against my will would not impress me.

Not slating what you said, just giving my opinion
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
15:08 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
krazyash- how does resetting everyone get more people to the site lol? If people don't come here, they won't know about it, will they?

Agree with bacon here. facebook/smartphones is the way to go. If you can get people playing this on their smartphones (and once people play, they tend to like this game!), odds are many of them will play it on their comps too.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:14 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Yeah fair enough maybe a request message could be sent out asking if you would like too. Id expect all players current stats to be archived so they are not just deleted. Ive never reset either but I would if there were a new challenge with everyone else. Just trying to bring a new dimension to FUNKYPOOL matey.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:21 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Seb, i know of a fair few people who have since left as they were sick of playing and losing to the same players over and over again, maybe due to loss of points accumulated over time, if everyone were on the same points wise that would attract newer ppl and maybe bring the old ones back?

As for attracting further newer players its all about word of mouth, you tell one person, they,like it they,tell another 3 can be a snowball effect. Advertise it on other sites i.e pogo games, yahoo, etc, offer promotions (join by a certain date and,you will,get,use of cues for a certain time period), implement some funky colours to the tables etc. If I were new say today Id think why the hell is it called 'funkypool' its not like ronseal, does exactly what it says on the tin. What's so funky about it? Best way to address issues is to empathize.

Edited at 12:25 Sat 15/06/13 (BST)
whocares8x8
whocares8x8
15:23 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Seb, i know of a fair few people who have since left as they were sick of playing and losing to the same players over and over again, maybe due to loss of points accumulated over time, if everyone were on the same points wise that would attract newer ppl and maybe bring the old ones back?
I don't see any logic in that at all. They left because they were losing??
Again, changing anything within the game will not attract new players- the game itself is attractive enough! It's about advertising and targetting the popular platforms.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:28 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
Im merely meaning the tediousness in playing 'joe bloggs' in the final oh once again, maybe maximising the amount of tournies players can join on a daily basis may help?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:38 Sat 15 Jun 13 (BST)  [Link]  
LOL just get better then so u can meet joe bloggs in the final and beat him..

Your suggestion just limits player from been on the site which is totally opposite to what this thread is about..
Pages: 1
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Get more people!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Game Queries.
Back to Forum List.